• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The best description I've seen of the Conor/Floyd fight, from /r/boxing

This is news to me? Why were they not allowed?
Don't know but it's fairly common. I've heard it said for a bunch of fights when they read tge rules, "no standing 8 count in effect"

God damn boxing fans are annoying. They make everything more complex then it really is.

Floyd basically got in conors face and made him throw a ton punches because conor cant keep a high pace. The end.
And now sum up the bible in less then 1 sentence.

This fact makes this even more shady.... one more reason to keep my money away from boxing.
Here you go bud. Pulled this off wiki for ya.
was designed to protect boxers by allowing the referee to step in and give an overwhelmed fighter an eight-second respite. Standing eight counts by the referee are scored the same as a knockdown, whether the boxer was knocked down or not. The United States Association of Boxing Commissions eliminated the standing eight count in 1998. The Association of Boxing Commissions eliminated the standing eight count from practice and it is usually not formally invoked in professional bouts today.

It should be understood that a standing eight count is different than a mandatory eight count. A mandatory eight count is only assessed once a fighter is knocked down.

I am the only one who thinks this is like the worse scam of all time. I am not a fan of boxing and I have seen far too many bad decisions and fixed fights but this one was one of the worst. No 8 counts, what the fuck, never mind wobbly legs, I have seen fights where fighters would get two 8 counts per round for several rounds in a row. These are both professionals hitting with pillows so don't say anything about fighter safety.

The best indicator that it was fixed was the scoring, one round for McGregor give me a fucking break....
Calling it "fixed" is going too far, but I totally agree with the spirit of your post. The ref and judges were in Floyd's pocket.

Calling it "fixed" is going too far, but I totally agree with the spirit of your post. The ref and judges were in Floyd's pocket.

That's why the ref let Conor hit Floyd in the back of the head about 100 times. Because he was in Floyd's back pocket. Didn't Mcgregor have a say in who was the ref, and one of the judges?

That's why the ref let Conor hit Floyd in the back of the head about 100 times. Because he was in Floyd's back pocket. Didn't Mcgregor have a say in who was the ref, and one of the judges?
That's because the ref is old and senile. He literally did not see 80% of those rabbit punches.

I am the only one who thinks this is like the worse scam of all time. I am not a fan of boxing and I have seen far too many bad decisions and fixed fights but this one was one of the worst. No 8 counts, what the fuck, never mind wobbly legs, I have seen fights where fighters would get two 8 counts per round for several rounds in a row. These are both professionals hitting with pillows so don't say anything about fighter safety.
You're not a fan of boxing but watch enough to see "far too many" bad decisions? Forgive me, but I doubt it.

Pillows? Even 18oz sparring gloves are pretty stiff. 8oz don't feel or act anything like a pillow.

The ref could've taken points off the leprechaun several times but didn't, so you're full of shit if you think he was helping floyd.

The ref could've taken points off the leprechaun several times but didn't, so you're full of shit if you think he was helping floyd.

For shots that the old man didn't see?

Remind me the last time you saw a ref in a high-level boxing match bark pre-fight instructions at only ONE of the fighters during the staredown.

Remind me the last time you saw a ref in a high-level boxing match bark pre-fight instructions at only ONE of the fighters during the staredown.

Remind me the last time a ref allowed that many rabbit punches and didn't take at least one point off?

If he couldn't see those shots, then I'm not sure how he was able to dress himself or find his way to the ring.

I agree about the pre-fight instructions though. That was some of the worst grandstanding by an official that I've ever seen in pro sports.

Remind me the last time a ref allowed that many rabbit punches and didn't take at least one point off?
He probably saw 3 rabbit punches over 9 rounds and missed about 7. Not taking a point for 3 rabbit punches spread over multiple rounds happens all the time in boxing.

He probably saw 3 rabbit punches over 9 rounds and missed about 7. Not taking a point for 3 rabbit punches spread over multiple rounds happens all the time in boxing.

Bullshit. The ref gave him leeway cause he was an unskilled rookie.

Back