Social The American Society of Magical Negroes. Leftist racism on full display.

i guess critical analysis from the black perspective should just fuck right off & stop whining then
On this desperate and petty shit? Yeah. Let's say it was true. What's the negative aspect to it? Black guys being cast as nothing but gangsters and pimps, seems a lot more problematic, than being cast as prominent positive characters in dramas and action movies. What is the beef, exactly?

And neither to a thousand other shitty superheros, played by white people.

But again. those are just roles. I'm pretty sure Nick Fury was race swapped. The character was not a black man, but had the same characteristics. He can't have those characteristics now, because he's black? Lucius Fox was not created out of thin air for the Batman movie franchise, either. It's a character in the cannon of the franchise. He's the guy who builds all the toys for Batman. I don't know what his race has to do with anything.

This just seems like racial paranoia looking for things to question.
It’s the portrayal of those characters in the movie. Nick Fury from the comics is different than in the movie. He has his own goals and agenda. He is his own character. In the movie he is an immortal magical negro that shows up and leaves.

Lucius Fox’s portrayal is hilarious. Fox is a genius but is stuck within the company. Batman shows up and he magically produces all these military grade weapons no questions asked. The Fox character makes Batman who he is. Later in the movie franchise, he comes out with this super computer that spies on everyone to save the day. The actor Morgan Freeman also played so many magical negro roles in his career. He should be the face of the magical negro trope.

It’s the portrayal of those characters in the movie. Nick Fury from the comics is different than in the movie. He has his own goals and agenda. He is his own character. In the movie he is an immortal magical negro that shows up and leaves.
He's his "own character" in the movies too. Nothing about his character would be changed, if he was white...or Asian, or Latino.

Lucius Fox’s portrayal is hilarious. Fox is a genius but is stuck within the company. Batman shows up and he magically produces all these military grade weapons no questions asked. The Fox character makes Batman who he is.
But that's who the character is. What specifically makes the race of the character matter? What specific "blackness" of the character are you looking for here, that doesn't apply to his general characteristics? What would be different if he was a different race? Nothing.

He's his "own character" in the movies too. Nothing about his character would be changed, if he was white...or Asian, or Latino.

But that's who the character is. What specifically makes the race of the character matter? What specific "blackness" of the character are you looking for here, that doesn't apply to his general characteristics? What would be different if he was a different race? Nothing.
The issue is that they don’t usually use other races for this trope. Especially when casting Morgan Freeman. He has been doing this role for a while.

You don’t understand the trope and you are arguing on the basis of oh this character can be swapped out.

The issue is that they don’t usually use other races for this trope. Especially when casting Morgan Freeman. He has been doing this role for a while.

You don’t understand the trope and you are arguing on the basis of oh this character can be swapped out.

But how can it be a film trope when it's based on a comic character from the 70's who was written as black? Should they made him white? Should they not have made him Wayne's armory liaison? It's literally the source material.

On this desperate and petty shit? Yeah. Let's say it was true. What's the negative aspect to it? Black guys being cast as nothing but gangsters and pimps, seems a lot more problematic, than being cast as prominent positive characters in dramas and action movies. What is the beef, exactly?
do you honestly think that the critical & textual analysis of black images in media starts & stops at the magical negro trope? just because something exists doesn't mean it is the only, or the most common, phenomenon being put under a microscope in the respective fields of thought. if anything, the magical negro trope is rarely the primary focus of critial studies on black representation in media, but is no less worthy of consideration & discussion.

Yeah, he's a big name actor who gets big roles. His crime is being famous and cast as a wise man from time to time? And that's...bad? Maybe cast Anthony Hopkins in all of those roles instead, because he's a mild mannered "wise man" type as well?

I totally understand the concept. You're failing at justifying its existence.

"Oh my God! A black man was given a prominent positive role in a movie. That is racist...somehow..."

But how can it be a film trope when it's based on a comic character from the 70's who was written as black? Should they made him white? Should they not have made him Wayne's armory liaison?
It is the depiction of the character. The trope goes like the black character is usually held back by some sort of constraint. It could be ugly, poor, color of their skin or disability. They are held back in society even though they possess great wisdom or is magical. The main character shows up and finds value in this broken person. They then selflessly devoted their life to them.

Personally I find this trope funny as hell. It doesn’t bother me.

It is the depiction of the character. The trope goes like the black character is usually held back by some sort of constraint. It could be ugly, poor, color of their skin or disability. They are held back in society even though they possess great wisdom or is magical. The main character shows up and finds value in this broken person. They then selflessly devoted their life to them.

Personally I find this trope funny as hell. It doesn’t bother me.

But Fox wasn't really held back in either medium. I just don't see how it applies to it compared to Bagger Vance or John Coffee

do you honestly think that the critical & textual analysis of black images in media starts & stops at the magical negro trope?
No. In fact, I already said that casting them as pimps and gangsters is way more problematic. This is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

So, you don't want their race to be stereotyped in roles, but you also don't want them cast in roles where they're not stereotyped, but still creates a new and different stereotype? Okay, so what are you actually asking for here? What roles should black people get in the film industry, that won't somehow strike a nerve? Just put them in the background somewhere, where they don't speak or have any role whatsoever? That seems to be the most inoffensive part in a movie, if we're bitching about them being cast as Morpheus and Nick Cage.

But Fox wasn't really held back in either medium. I just don't see how it applies to it compared to Bagger Vance or John Coffee
Fox was held back. He was a genius but he was demoted to a dead end science division. Bruce had to meet him to get him to show him all these gadgets. He pretty much breaks the law and all protocols for his job for Bruce Wayne within few minutes of meeting him. He even continues after he gets fired.

Those characters aren’t all the same but they follow a similar framework. It’s usually their suffering brings great wisdom or magic but they are unable to help themselves.

Fox was held back. He was a genius but he was demoted to a dead end science division. Bruce had to meet him to get him to show him all these gadgets. He pretty much breaks the law and all protocols for his job for Bruce Wayne within few minutes of meeting him. He even continues after he gets fired.

Those characters aren’t all the same but they follow a similar framework. It’s usually their suffering brings great wisdom or magic but they are unable to help themselves.

His progression makes sense, lots of people get raw deals at work. His arc is a super smart guy who has direct outlets to advance tech and Bruce Wayne. There's no magic or unexplained supernatural forces at play. It's streamlined for the sake of comic books and comic film. Him being black doesn't make the audience feel one way or another, nor is he used for racial sympathy.

Bagger Vance magically appearing out of no where all just to be a top caddie who changes a life or John Coffee being some super natural force who changes the life of white people; both having southern, 'awe shucks' mannerism.

Fox is none of that

No. In fact, I already said that casting them as pimps and gangsters is way more problematic. This is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

So, you don't want their race to be stereotyped in roles, but you also don't want them cast in roles where they're not stereotyped, but still creates a new and different stereotype? Okay, so what are you actually asking for here? What roles should black people get in the film industry, that won't somehow strike a nerve? Just put them in the background somewhere, where they don't speak or have any role whatsoever? That seems to be the most inoffensive part in a movie, if we're bitching about them being cast as Morpheus and Nick Cage.
i feel like you've completely lost the plot for the sake of confrontation at this point. if you could put aside your determination to trivialize & disregard the trope, you would find that critical studies & other writings that discuss/analyze the trope are more interested in cultivating a conversation of ideas by examining & recontextualizing the positive & negative traits/characterizations that define the characters who fall under the magical negro distinction. you're just assuming that the meer existence of the trope = militant condemnation of the qualifying characters.

It isn't that the actors or the roles aren't likable, valuable or redemptive, but they are without interior lives. For the most part, they materialize only to rescue the better-drawn white characters.

"The magic Negro is an easy way of making the characters and the audiences happy. And I am for happiness, but the real joy of art is to reveal certain intractable ways in which humans interact. This phenomenon may be a way of avoiding confrontation," says [Ariel Dorfman], a playwright, poet and cultural critic.

Last edited:
His progression makes sense, lots of people get raw deals at work. His arc is a super smart guy who has direct outlets to advance tech and Bruce Wayne. There's no magic or unexplained supernatural forces at play. It's streamlined for the sake of comic books and comic film. Him being black doesn't make the audience feel one way or another, nor is he used for racial sympathy.

Bagger Vance magically appearing out of no where all just to be a top caddie who changes a life or John Coffee being some super natural force who changes the life of white people; both having southern, 'awe shucks' mannerism.

Fox is none of that
It's not about the character being supernatural. It's more like this character does amazing and sometimes supernatural things that improve the lives of the MC but they can't do anything for themselves. These characters don't have an interior life or goals. Like I said it doesn't really really have to strictly apply but those characters follow a similar framework. It's a spectrum and they don't have to be a stereotypical coon. We don't really get the reverse with a black lead.

It is just a trope like the noble savage, the wise Asian elder, asexual Asian kung fu character or white savior. It's just lazy writing. Sometimes it is needed to push the story.

Everyone has a fixed amount of time and energy. Focusing on inane inconsequential outrage bait instead of actual material harm being done to actual people, seems like a total mismanagement of priorities.
Alex I'll take Whataboutism for 500.

Lucius Fox’s portrayal is hilarious. Fox is a genius but is stuck within the company. Batman shows up and he magically produces all these military grade weapons no questions asked. The Fox character makes Batman who he is. Later in the movie franchise, he comes out with this super computer that spies on everyone to save the day. The actor Morgan Freeman also played so many magical negro roles in his career. He should be the face of the magical negro trope.
People get the nick fury thing wrong so often. Fury in the movies isn't based on normal continuity marvel universe Nick Fury. He's based on ultimates nick fury. In fact the entire lineup is taken from the ultimate avengers continuity. Tony Stark being a quippy ladies man is not the standard universe iron man either.

Back