The 2022 Heavies' Awards - Breakthrough Fighter of the Year Winner: Alex Pereira

2022 Breakthrough Fighter of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jackonfire

BMF Mod
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
hpuZZ76.png

Breakthrough Fighter of the Year

Its time to pick the fighter who you think really broke through in 2022. One vote per person and voting will close in 5 days. As always, let us know why you voted for a fighter, and of course, let us know if there was a fighter you felt got overlooked.

E6OLKi9.jpg

Alex Pereira went 3-0 in 2022 including winning the MW title from Isreal Adesanya. He defeated Bruno Silva in March via UD, knocked out Sean Strickland in July, then beat Isreal Adesanya in November to win the title.

CQ7fBtD.jpg

Johnny Eblen fought twice in 2022 and won both times. He defeated John Salter in March via UD, then beat Gegard Mousasi via UD to capture the Bellator MW belt.

PcvdxUB.jpg

Raul Rosa Jr. became the youngest fighter on the UFC roster when he earned a contract by defeating Mando Gutierrez via UD on DWCS in September. His first UFC fight came in December at UFC 282 where he defeated Jay Perrin via RNC in the first round, picking up a POTN bonus in the process.

kH03sFB.jpg

Larissa Pacheco went 4-0 in 2022 capping off the year with a victory over the undefeated Kayla Harrison to secure the PFL women's LW belt.

5Heko2S.jpg

Jiri only had one fight in 2022 but it was a title fight in which he defeated Glover Teixeira to become the LHW champion. Unfortunately, he suffered an injury and was unable to defend in a scheduled rematch with Glover. He was then persuaded by the UFC to vacate the belt to end the year.

Check out who Sherdog.com chose as the Breakthrough Fighter of 2022 here

Alex Pereira for me. I think he got this in the bag

Jarred Brooks from ONE also deserves a mention imo. Went 3-0 in 2022 and ultimately winning the ONE Strawweight belt last month. It was definitely his breakout year.

Great job on the thread, Jack :)

Rigged.

Such terrible choices. How does Pereira and Jiri count when they broke through last year??

If that’s the case where is Leon Edwards.

At the beginning of this year he was a laughing stick now he’s one of the most respected guys on the roster THAT’S BREAKING THROUGH.

Where’s Bo Nikal?

Good thread Jack. I went with Alex because I wasn’t very familiar with him at the beginning of the year year and now he has firmly established himself at or near the top of the division. Hoping things roll along this year and we get to see him in other challenging fights.

O'Malley.
never expected someone like him to win against someone like Yan and get to a #1 spot but here we are.

Back