The 2019 Heavies Awards - Best Knockout of the Year (Winner: Masvidal over Askren!)

What is the Best Knockout of 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wanted to vote for several contenders. I gave Valentina a vote just because

Why is MVP in the list for 2019 Heavies? Bellator shit doesn't belong in the Heavies. Get your shit together Sherdog.

So many good ones, but if the striker thought it required follow up punches, that disqualifies it, IMO. Walk off is so much more classy and bad ass. So sorry, Jorge, you blew it.

The landslide lol

Honestly, the Till/Masvidal KO is just as great, and somehow a bit more impressive given the context (Till had at least 30lbs on Jorge in the cage, Jorge is a former lightweight, coming off 2 losses and a one year break)

Yea, kinda pointless since we know the overwhelming favorite is Masvidal's knee...but I went Kevin Lee's KO of Gillespie.
That thing was like a damn video game the way Gillespie flew backwards into the cage. Beautiful.

There have been some sick KO's this year but it clearly goes to Masvidal for bodying Askren.

Ben vs Jorge is the only fight on that card I missed live

Still kicking myself over my stream cutting out

As enjoyable and amazing as the Askren KO was (and it WAS beautiful and so perfectly done), I actually picked Till vs Masvidal simply due to the opposition level (as an experienced Muay Thai fighter) was so much higher (in terms of striking experience and therefore likekly striking defense experience).
To execute that amazing let on Till and TIll was unconscious before he hit the canvas was spectacular.

The 2019 Heavies Awards - Best Knockout of the Year

Good evening, ladies and gents! My name is Augustus Caesar, AKA Sherdog’s Original Kpop Star, AKA Mimi.

Today we give a toast to the JBG by choosing the best knockout of 2019! We saw quite a lot last year, whether it be some of the quickest knockouts, or spinning stuff of which even Nick Diaz would approve.

I am proud to say that this is my fourth year in a row making this thread for Sherdog. Everyone knows that a knockout is the most dynamic way to finish a fight. This is why it is important for us to look back and decide which one, without question, was the best KO we've witnessed.

Please choose your knockout of the year, and let us know why!

Nominees

Stephen Thompson vs Anthony Pettis
March 2019, Fight Night 148

AromaticDisastrousAfricanporcupine-size_restricted.gif

Valentina Shevchenko vs Jessica Eye
June 2019, UFC 238
WindyOpenBarnowl-size_restricted.gif

Josh Emmett vs Michael Johnson
March 2019, UFC on ESPN 2
EuphoricIgnorantDrafthorse-size_restricted.gif

GrandSizzlingBagworm-size_restricted.gif
ConsciousQueasyErne-size_restricted.gif

Ben Askren vs Jorge Masvidal
July 2019, UFC 239
GargantuanUncomfortableHousefly-size_restricted.gif

Darren Till vs Jorge Masvidal
March 2019, Fight Night 147
hxTormF.gif

AmpleDimwittedBuffalo-size_restricted.gif
HeavyImmaculateHellbender-size_restricted.gif
NervousBoilingAlpaca-size_restricted.gif

Martin Bravo vs Steven Peterson
September 2019, Fight Night 159

DependableEthicalAfricanwilddog-size_restricted.gif

Jimi Manuwa vs Aleksandar Rakić
June 2019, Fight Night 153

RapidCoolCardinal-size_restricted.gif
UniqueRigidDamselfly-size_restricted.gif

Kevin Lee vs Gregor Gillespie

November 2019, UFC 244
PoorSomberFlea-size_restricted.gif

Douglas Lima Vs Michael Page
May 2019, Bellator 221
InconsequentialCelebratedKillifish-size_restricted.gif

Davy Gallon vs Ross Pearson
November 2019, Probellum 1
JovialBouncyHart-size_restricted.gif

Raymond Daniels vs Wilker Barros
May 2019, Bellator Birmingham
ImmaculateSparseGrizzlybear-size_restricted.gif

Special shout out to @KazDibiase for a lot of these gifs. :)

Please post honorable mentions if you have some in mind!

Maybe these threads should be out in the wild instead of stickied. This thread has been here since Thursday and I am just now seeing it. Anyways brah, thanks for all your hard work in putting this together. I know there is a lot involved.
mWZWzwq.gif

its Jorge vs Ben, no doubt about it. But that Raymond Daniels spinning shit is really cool too

Maybe these threads should be out in the wild instead of stickied. This thread has been here since Thursday and I am just now seeing it. Anyways brah, thanks for all your hard work in putting this together. I know there is a lot involved.
mWZWzwq.gif

Wouldn't the thread being stickied make it easier to see?

mWZWzwq.gif
Nice copy/paste in the threads. Stickied is good for when a thread falls out of sight, but yes, to stay more active, posts keep in the open forum keep them busier.

Wouldn't the thread being stickied make it easier to see?

In my experience, we well as the general consensus on the forums, no it is not easier. It has been discussed before. See @jei's post below. to me the Stickies rarely change so I don't look up there. Some of the "Of the Year" voting threads were stickied up there for two days before I saw them.

Nice copy/paste in the threads. Stickied is good for when a thread falls out of sight, but yes, to stay more active, posts keep in the open forum keep them busier.

Haha. Yea I felt bad copy/pasting the same thing but I had the same thing to say to everyone. :D

I voted for Shevchenko because of the way she set up the knockout. Masvidal’s knee was a product of tape study, but I don’t believe he would land it for the knockout more than 10-20% of the time, and the rest likely end up with him in a bad position. Shevchenko set hers up by slamming kicks to Eye’s body the whole first round, which caused Eye to lower her hands and duck into the kick when she finally went high.
All that being said, I fully expect Masvidal over Askren to be the runaway winner, and I’m fine with that.

Has to be the Askren vs Masvidal one, because of the sheer impact and meaning of it all. 5 second KO by flying knee against a 19-0 guy who was calling himself the GOAT... I been watching Masvidal for many years and never really seen him do flying knees, he is 90% about the hands, and sometimes he will throw kicks. I was shocked how it went and how fast it went.. I barely opened my bag of Skittles and boom it was over.

Back