the 1992 movie gladiator with cuba godding jr

Kingofthestreets

king of the streets
@purple
Reaction score
I saw this movie today on Netflix, I thought it was gonna be some booring ass boxing movie again and the description wasn't all that compelling but I thought whatever I'll give it a go and damn was I wrong about it!

It had the 'karate kid' feel to it, and the Boxing bouts were freakin brutal I screamed several times. Like a high school rocky movie. Can't believe it didn't come around better in popularity I mean, I'm one of the guys that have seen, during the last ten years basically every fight and boxing movie out there.
Maybe this get wastelanded, but damn it really had an impression on me.

Anyone else seen it? Whatcha think? If not you are missing out!:)

Mike Tyson would knock him out.

Awesome movie. One of my favs. I like when Black Death knocks him down and he screams and gets back up and kos him.

I saw some of it when I was a teenager.

I havnt seen the whole thing, but I know most of what goes on, young golden gloves amateur starts fighting in underground basically NHB fights, has to fight his friend(Cuba) and ends up beating up the crooked promoter/ex-fighter. Released a year before UFC 1 too, which I thought was kinda interesting.

Kicks to the head of a grounded opponent, elbows etc.

I was wrong, mostly a Boxing movie, but it still had alot of what I was talking about that I remembered, dirty Boxing with elbows, knees, even a throw and a submission here or there. Really, it was sort of like watching an MMA(or more NHB I guess) movie before the sport existed. Very cool, good movie. 3/5 stars.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the film.

Haven't seen it in years.

I was wrong, mostly a Boxing movie, but it still had alot of what I was talking about that I remembered, dirty Boxing with elbows, knees, even a throw and a submission here or there. Really, it was sort of like watching an MMA(or more NHB I guess) movie before the sport existed. Very cool, good movie. 3/5 stars.

Sure there is room for improvement on some things but to me its a A+!
I liked that it had that dirty feel to it with fouls because it was really surprising and shooking alot of the stuffs, like when Tommy is about to get rubbed with that poisoned glove in his eye he just suplexes the guy and beats him at his own game. Cute girl, great villans brutal and surprisingly realistic Bu still theatrical fight scenes, everyone feelt like they were really boxers, cool soundtracks and score too, really a forgotten epic movie I'd say!

The only good thing about that movie is that 3rd Bass is in the soundtrack.

Back