• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

That fight felt oddly winnable for Luke if he didn't get tired

Shilajit

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, clear 30-27 for Costa

But Luke got tired after like 3 minutes, after which he fought like a wounded animal.

Technically, I thought he looked good for a while.

His kicks were really legit, he was even throwing some good punches. Showcased much better defense than we've ever seen from him, which has always been a glaring hole.

That just seemed like a winnable fight if he didn't get so gassed.

Maybe the altitude is what did it? Can't recall Luke ever getting that tired.

In any case, if he decides that this is it, respect to him. He went out in style and gained back many of the fans he lost over the years imo.

I just think he still has some fight left in him and could still compete under better circumstances.

IMG-6662.jpg

Altitude is a legit ass kicker. I don't know if he prepared for it or not, but if he didn't that would explain it. Even if you are preparing for it it's still going to wear on you. Was weird seeing him gas since he never gassed in the past.

It did feel like he wasn’t out of it and he did seem to stun Costa a few times. Wasn’t really a great performance from either, they both were gassed and sloppy. But a redeeming one from Rockhold, as he managed to come off like a savage and not get KTFO.

goddamn altitude turned rockhold into sludge

He fought amazingly though, great showing

Yeah, it was weird seeing him so gassed. It was like Philo Beddoe vs Tank Murdock.

Last edited:
Paulo was also tired. Luke looked good but mostly dangerous because he was gassed and just throwing crazy punches. I do think Paulo beats him 9/10 times

Bisping even mentioned a few days ago that Luke hadn't been taking his training all that seriously, on top of the elevation could be why he was gassed so quick.

Costa has weird lack of KO ability for a guy that powerful. A good style matchup for Rockhold.

He was landing what he wanted to land in the first half. He saw alot of openings in the defense. Its just he was too tired,and probably he is in decline from being away and age

They both landed tiring body shots/kicks. That in combination with the altitude might have been it?

But what was going on with Lukes jiu jitsu? He was dominated on the ground.

Don't get me wrong, clear 30-27 for Costa

But Luke got tired after like 3 minutes, after which he fought like a wounded animal.

Technically, I thought he looked good for a while.

His kicks were really legit, he was even throwing some good punches. Showcased much better defense than we've ever seen from him, which has always been a glaring hole.

That just seemed like a winnable fight if he didn't get so gassed.

Maybe the altitude is what did it? Can't recall Luke ever getting that tired.

In any case, if he decides that this is it, respect to him. He went out in style and gained back many of the fans he lost over the years imo.

I just think he still has some fight left in him and could still compete under better circumstances.

I think Costa destroyed his nose and that led to the cardio issues.
It wouldn't surprise me to find he had a jaw issue also. Not a bad fight to go out on. I actually think Luke would have taken out Izzy if they ever fought.

Indeed. I thought the same, Borrachinha won't far much more, he's very limited, couldn't finish that very gassed lucas

Costa's problem is that he is a brawler that thinks his natural prime will solve everything, he doesn't really try to improve

I think the right result happened. Costa won and should go on. Rockhold had strong showings in the fight but this ain't for him anymore. I'm glad Rockhold is stepping away. It seems too much for him. He's 38, he should continue to model and hopefully try to land some acting gigs. MMA isn't a long term investment. Like Dana once said, come in, make your money and if you play your cards right hopefully you don't have to fight or work again. I'm happy for Rockhold. There's more to life than sports.

I'm Brazilian and not a Luke fan but I really sympathized for the guy today, he showed heart. The guy fights for passion, he has a career in modelling and banging woman, which is way more pleasurable than getting punched in the face, that's admirable and virtuous.

I think he bit off more than he could chew. He's been fighting huge guys. Jan, Romero, and Costa. The latter two have notorious cutting issues ans Jan is a LHW

Rockhold was sort of a weight bully in his prime. Now he had to fight an even bigger weight bully in Costa who is in his physical prime

If he fought Strickland or hermanson he'd probably win.

Costa really needs to improve his technique. The guy needs more precision and mobility instead of trying to rely on brute strength. He has shown those flaws long time ago, never got better, I don't have hope on him, probably will lose his next fight

Back