thai stance not seen much in mma?

hockeyfacekilla**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
why is it that not many people in mma that to muay thai not have a muay thai stance? is it because the thai stance is not make for takedowns? i have been wondering alot and don't know if i should change it or not.

Most guys adjust their stance that they could both strike do takedowns and also sprawl easily

what is the thai stance. I have only boxed so i dont know any stance except boxing stance which I hear is very diffrent

BabyPhenom said:
Most guys adjust their stance that they could both strike do takedowns and also sprawl easily

There you go. Some also change stances in the middle of fights, an example being Pat Miletich. You know when he's going to strike or when he's going to grapple.

Hammer Time said:
what is the thai stance. I have only boxed so i dont know any stance except boxing stance which I hear is very diffrent
A thai stance is more upright with the weight on the back foot and hips (and shoulders) open (front on, as opposed to boxing which is usually 45 degrees more), you keep light on the front foot for the leg check. Also the hands are usually held higher and further out.

Just what I think, but I could be wrong:

The Thai stance is a little bit too upright for MMA. To properly sprawl, your knees need to be slightly flexed, and you should be on the balls of your toes.

Also, because the majority of the weight is on the back foot, it makes the sprawl even harder.

I don't even like the Thai stance for stand-up to be honest. Keeping your weight off the front foot allows you to check faster, but if you miss that check, and your weight's off the front foot, that kick is going to effing hurt. When a strike connects with a relaxed muscle, that's when it's the worst. Of course, the Thai are just that damn good that they can make that check, and if they miss it, they're fast enough to shift their weight or do something else with the leg. But for noobs like me, I like to keep the weight even as possible on both feet, so if I miss the check I can at least flex my quad hard and try to take the shot.

I don't like keeping my hands high and wide. I like keeping them in closer and at about eyebrow level (but when I get closer, the hands go down to cheek or chin level). You need to be able to defend high kick attempts, but in MMA a high percentage of the attacks are going to be takedown attempts, and you need your hands to fight a takedown.

its casue muay thai stance makes you more vonurable for a take down...

the thai stance looks like this http://www.wimp.com/thai/ i forget who posted this vid before and i'd like to give him/her credit, but i couldn't find him/her. I thought that was why, but i wn't sure. i havent had a problem sprawling from that position yet, i just knee them but i trien this new stance that i put my hands in close. i think it's easier to block and counter hooks and haymakers <--sp* than jabs. It has worked so far pretty nicely!

Iceman5592 said:
Just what I think, but I could be wrong:

The Thai stance is a little bit too upright for MMA. To properly sprawl, your knees need to be slightly flexed, and you should be on the balls of your toes.

Also, because the majority of the weight is on the back foot, it makes the sprawl even harder.

Bingo! This is why the thai stance is bad for mma. It's impossible to sprawl well from that stance.

Always wondered about this. Say your in a local mma show. Non-one really knows who you are and what you fight like. Say your a grappler, purple belt or something, but you can't strike for shit. Come out in full muay thai gear, dance the wai kru and all and take a thai stance in the ring. Dudes gonna think you've just got off the plane from Thailand after a year of hardcore training or something, "im not standing with this dude" he's gonna think. You could reverse it if your a striker, come out in a gi. Get you and your buddys to form some half assed Gracie train or something. Then pwn the fuck out of your opponent when he trys to stand with you thinking your a pure grappler.

Maybe not. Someone flame me...

Chute Stomp said:
Always wondered about this. Say your in a local mma show. Non-one really knows who you are and what you fight like. Say your a grappler, purple belt or something, but you can't strike for shit. Come out in full muay thai gear, dance the wai kru and all and take a thai stance in the ring. Dudes gonna think you've just got off the plane from Thailand after a year of hardcore training or something, "im not standing with this dude" he's gonna think. You could reverse it if your a striker, come out in a gi. Get you and your buddys to form some half assed Gracie train or something. Then pwn the fuck out of your opponent when he trys to stand with you thinking your a pure grappler.

I love it when there is good humour in this forum great job! haha

Hi

I think that a majority of the standup fighters in MMA use a slightly modified Muay Thai stance,(like the dutch take on MuayThai), the whole of Chute Boxe stance isnt totally dissimilar, Bas Ruttens stance was just wider then the usual Thai stance.

Peace

Chute Stomp said:

I've thought about doing this for my first fight (no date yet!). I train in MT and BJJ, but am a lot newer to MT and feel more comfortable on the ground. If I know I'm fighting a good striker, I'm wearing my MT gear! That way I'll at least get a cheap takedown.

Back