"Textbook" Boxers

That is an understatement........ Mayweather may very well be the best "pure boxer" ever, and if it were not for a guy named Sugar Ray Robinson, he could easily be considered the best welterweight ever.

The thing about Mayweather is not the he doesnt make mistakes, though he makes very few, it is that even when he makes them he has an uncanny ability to adapt and adjust in any situation and against the best fighters in the world. He makes guy's fight his fight, regardless of how hard guys have tried to "impose their will". Floyd will frustrate the hell out a guy with his defense, eventually leading to them giving him opportunities to counter...... and he is genius at that as well. He has the power to keep a guy with a great chin honest and deter them from brawling him, and the speed to control the distance and close the gap, but keep his opponent chasing...... add to that, he is lazer accurate and will hurt you to the body or head. He can do it all equally as effective in rd 1 as he can rd 12, the guys fitness, conditioning and commitment to training is amongst the best ever as well.

Despite the fact that I am really not a Floyd fan, If i had to pick one single boxer in history who's skill i could have, he is likely on top of that list. He may be the closet thing to a "perfect" boxer I have ever seen.

Agreed! Often the term "textbook" boxer is more in line with the European style fighters, Kessler, Froch, Klitschko, Lennox......etc.....

He sure as hell does! Never noticed that till you pointed it out, and I have watched alot of tape on him too. But the high guard, bounce in stance, shovel hook, etc... is pretty consistent with most Mexican boxers, who tend to be great technicians. JC Chavez, JM Lopez, Oscar, Marquez, Morales, etc...... Don't know if Nacho was both their trainers, but he has trained a whole lot of the great Mexican fighters at one point in their career...... Similar to Freddie Roach with US boxers.....

You're pretty knowledgeable sullivan, but that's jumping the gun a bit. I think Ray Leonard and Tommy Hearns are far ahead of Floyd in the best ww department. And that's not to mention Robinson. Floyd actually hasn't done that much at WW and built his legacy in the lower weights.

And I agree with your other european picks for textbook boxers, but Froch? I put him in the British Brawler category far from textbook.

And JuanMa is Puerto Rican. Can't mix that one up, it's a no-no.

Last edited:
Joe Louis is a good answer, and would probably be one of my nominations also. I only say this because he has what i believe should be the 'textbook' boxing stance. You can see that even Sugar Ray Robinson adopted a very similar fighting stance. And they both had their fundamentals down solid. Such as a textbook jab and parry and all that.

After thinking about it a while, I don't really think any of the great fighters or champions are what I would call a textbook boxer. you really can't get to that level and stay textbook, you have to adapt play to your strengths. I would think you are more likely to find a good text box example in the ammie's.

After thinking about it a while, I don't really think any of the great fighters or champions are what I would call a textbook boxer. you really can't get to that level and stay textbook, you have to adapt play to your strengths. I would think you are more likely to find a good text box example in the ammie's.

I've got to agree. I think when you get to the top top levels, everyone is going to have some great talent. Whether it be speed, dexterity, an iron jaw, or several talents. So they really hone in on those things and try to maximize their strengths rather than play the more balanced or "textbook" game. It's like GSP in MMA, a takedown monster. He can and will step outside of that, but it all comes back to the takedown, because that's the one thing no one can answer. I think all the legends had one nearly unmatchable strength, like Ali's speed at HW, or Foreman's power, or more modern day Toney's ridiculous coordination and rhythm. Not to say they don't have more, but their particular Ace card sets them apart.

Just watched some Lopez on YT. Really reminds me of Juan Manuel Marquez but with more power. Everything in Marquez style screams Lopez. The high guard, the slight bounce in the stance, the shovel hook. Did they have the same trainer?

Most mexicans worship him , and yes several modeled their style on him or try.

JMM does kinda look similar but not really. JMM is more of a pure counter puncher and a lil too aggressive at times. RL never chased the KO. If he had a guy down or hurt he'd still measure himself in with superb calm , at the same time he was like a shark who's smelt blood and would hound him in that calm cool way.
His technique also isnt as pure as RL. I'd say 85% to RL's 100%.
The thing with RL is at first looks good , then the more u watch the more u notice sometning and learn.

ssullivan80;42284385]That is an understatement........ Mayweather may very well be the best "pure boxer" ever, and if it were not for a guy named Sugar Ray Robinson, he could easily be considered the best welterweight ever.

Nope PBF made his rep and record at 130lbs. Only a combination of ducking/chasing the money/body mass bought him up the weightclasses.
SRR,SRL , Tommy hearns and a couple of others have a far better record. PBF is somewhere in the top 10 easy.

The thing about Mayweather is not the he doesnt make mistakes, though he makes very few, it is that even when he makes them he has an uncanny ability to adapt and adjust in any situation and against the best fighters in the world.

One of his flaws is how he sticks his chin out and up. He gets away with it cuz of his insane speed/reflexes.
His style is hardly textbook. U wont get any book on how to fight like that. teach that style to somebody and it'll take years to sink in and even then no guarantee. If he didnt have that mind/speed he would've been quite pedestrian.
BHop on the other hand is a better example of the Philly Shell done to perfection. He has average speed , average power , average reflexes but he has MASTERED the Shell and all its nuances. Never been KOed or down. Everybody hates fighting cuz its soooo frustrating.

Dont confuse Textbook with Best in class.

Textbook means somebody who does a known accepted style's basics admirably good and keeps it simple.

Kinda like comparing Davis Love III's golf swing to David Duval.

Agreed! Often the term "textbook" boxer is more in line with the European style fighters, Kessler, Froch, Klitschko, Lennox......etc.....

True
He sure as hell does! Never noticed that till you pointed it out, and I have watched alot of tape on him too. But the high guard, bounce in stance, shovel hook, etc... is pretty consistent with most Mexican boxers, who tend to be great technicians. JC Chavez, JM Lopez, Oscar, Marquez, Morales, etc...... Don't know if Nacho was both their trainers, but he has trained a whole lot of the great Mexican fighters at one point in their career...... Similar to Freddie Roach with US boxers.....[/QUOTE]

Back