Tesla Motors Is Pressuring The Government To Level The Playing Field In China

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Elon Musk is pretty upset as China launches several well funded startups in California's Silicon Valley to develop new types of high performance batteries and cars. Elon is pissed because to work in China US companies have to take a Chinese based partner. His issue is that the US does not level such requirements to Chinese companies that operate in the US as they take top US talent to go work for them. Elon is hoping the Whitehouse pressures Chinese President on these issues during his visit to the US.

http://www.ibtimes.com/tesla-motors...hina-restrictions-us-carmakers-report-2073975

While I understand where he's coming from, doesn't his company get substantial subsidies from the government?

He knows he ain't gonna get no business in China where they'll rip off his products in a week.

So China is opening up businesses in the US, creating new jobs and contributing to the advancement of renewable energy?

The horror!

So China is opening up businesses in the US, creating new jobs and contributing to the advancement of renewable energy?

The horror!

But if that is all there is to it, why wouldn't China let US corporations have their way in China without partnership restriction?

There has certainly been a lot of capital investment by US corporations into China, but China seems to want to have some control over it.

The horror!

How ignorant

Sounds like a job for Suuuuper Truuuuump !!!

The horror!
I understand your point but when a product is shipped a car for example to China it's hit with a 40 percent tariff at the shipping dock. There is additional government penalties before they sell the car.

In the case with Jeep SUV's that are hugely popular I'm China they cost from 80k to 125,000 dollars to purchase in China. The same SUV is 35,000 to 55,000 in the US. The cost difference is huge in China.

The US leaves their doors open to Chinese made products and now businesses with little if any problems. If we could have similar deals in China how many Jeeps could we make and sell in China?

But if that is all there is to it, why wouldn't China let US corporations have their way in China without partnership restriction?

There has certainly been a lot of capital investment by US corporations into China, but China seems to want to have some control over it.

Because China is still a command economy. They probably do this in order to maintain a certain level of government control.

I really don't see a downside to this for anyone other than Elon.

I understand your point but when a product is shipped a car for example to China it's hit with a 40 percent tariff at the shipping dock. There is additional government penalties before they sell the car.

In the case with Jeep SUV's that are hugely popular I'm China they cost from 80k to 125,000 dollars to purchase in China. The same SUV is 35,000 to 55,000 in the US. The cost difference is huge in China.

The US leaves their doors open to Chinese made products and now businesses with little if any problems. If we could have similar deals in China how many Jeeps could we make and sell in China?

I'm aware. But this thread is about China STARTING UP businesses in the US. Not Chinese imports. You're arguing something completely different.

And why would you be upset about China not allowing US started businesses in China? That's literally a disincentive for US companies to open up businesses in China, which makes them more likely to open up those businesses in the US instead. I'm surprised that you don't view that a good thing.

Last edited:
I'm aware. But this thread is about China STARTING UP businesses in the US. Not Chinese imports. You're arguing something completely different.

And why would you be upset about China not allowing US started businesses in China? That's literally a disincentive for US companies to open up businesses in China, which makes them more likely to open up those businesses in the US instead. I'm surprised that you don't view that a good thing.

What are the rules regarding our exports to China? Are they more balanced? And are the Chinese hiring Murican talent or just shipping over chinese and bringing in H1Bs?

Here is the thing... The way America does business with regard to not requiring an American partner is the right way to do business. What China does is fucked up beyond belief, but business keeps going there. And the reason is because even Communist China has fewer regulations on business than we do here.

If I was Tesla, I would be vastly more worried about the fact that the states and federal government via Unions and Automotive dealerships are trying to regulate the market in such a way that prevents the direct sale of Tesla automobiles to the public, without a third party middle man. i.e. they are making Tesla sell to dealers, rather than directly to buyers, because Tesla is a beast, and automotive dealers don't want the competition.

THAT is fucked up. Saying "China has xyz policy in their country and we don't have it here" is fucking stupid. Of course we want business to come here. Why in the fuck would we want to make it harder for people to come here and open factories in this god damn country?

Why does China get advantages and the US doesn't ? Someone's getting something.....or things have gotten so F Ed up that someone has a noose around there neck....

..............the advent of 3d printing has begun. Mass manufacturing should be cheap and efficient thus costs around the board should allow companies that are not too greedy to benefit the consumer, seller, and the overall market on all products. Can't wait for an aircraft carrier piece by piece build it yourself on ebay. :D

..............the advent of 3d printing has begun. Mass manufacturing should be cheap and efficient thus costs around the board should allow companies that are not too greedy to benefit the consumer, seller, and the overall market on all products. Can't wait for an aircraft carrier piece by piece build it yourself on ebay. :D

Joking aside, this is a great point.

More to the point robotics are ending the lower labor cost advantages of Countries like China. China realizes before many others that they need to be more focused on leading edge technology then expecting companies to flock to China and give up a lot of their rights to do business with them. China many wealthy businessman want to move to and do business with Silicon Valley based companies.

There is a rush of wealthy and influential Chinese who are running to Silicon Valley or Southern California. What Chinese government is trying to do to things reduce the number of these wealthy and tech savvy Chinese leaving China and building new businesses in China. China also realizes there is no other area on the Planet that has such a rich and diverse talent pool of people at the leading edge of new technology.

France is moving up fast in the software area and advance manufacturing especially around Paris. Recent moves by Facebook and Salesforce in major investments in the area leads me to believe that area is gaining significance. Northern New York also has people mostly experience with material sciences and software.

Massachusetts access to physicists and huge pool of software engineers. Of course Tel Aviv and Hangzhou growing their own talent pools. Tel Aviv continues to generate a great number of startups but little job creation because their companies get bought out and moved to Silicon Valley. Austin Texas continues to have people in material sciences software and advance manufacturing research.

But no other area has so many Phd's in many areas of technology such as material, chemical, software then Silicon Valley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back