terrible with bagwork/pads but terrific at sparring?

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
anybody encounter anyone or find themselves being terrible at bag work and pads with technique but terrific being able to use it during sparring?

does fit in the type were one can learn much better through sparring then bags and pads?

I'd be cautious saying your technique is great during sparring but crap during padwork. It's probably not that good but the speed of sparring makes up for the sloppiness. I've never seen someone use great technique while sparring while sucking on the pads. Never..

ummm not bagwork and mittwork.... but shadow boxing yeah. i seen this guy who i thought looked horrible shadow boxing and he kicked the shit out of me.

I've seen guys that were bad on the mitts but could spar ok, just because nobody really ever spent any time teaching them with mitts.

You can learn timing and distance by just sparring, but you perfect your technique through padwork, and you generally improve your endurance & movement on the bag. Working the bag also helps you self monitor.

Odd though, I kinda doubt that someone has good form while sparring but looks like a spaz on the mitts.

Well, I am way better at sparring than I am in bagwork, but then again, I suck in sparring too, so...

maybe you just think you were good sparring because your opponent was as bad at sparring as you are on the mitts so you were landing and in the speed of sparring thought you were throwing clean?

If you have good technique, then you would have it on the mitts and bag and sparring.

ummm not bagwork and mittwork.... but shadow boxing yeah. i seen this guy who i thought looked horrible shadow boxing and he kicked the shit out of me.

was his name Fedor? :icon_lol:

If you can't hit pads properly then you definently won't be "terrific" in sparring, maybe by your standards but good technique is essential so maybe you just don't realize your technique in sparring because of the speed you throw things at?

I have never been comfortable doing shadow boxing or solo kata. The only strike that feels good to throw without a target is the jab.

haha i feel the same way. jab-cross work i guess. but hooks and kicks feels silly. But i still do it as a warm up.

Have you asked your trainer about it? Maybe you're not as bad as you see yourself on bagwork/mitts.

anybody encounter anyone or find themselves being terrible at bag work and pads with technique but terrific being able to use it during sparring?

does fit in the type were one can learn much better through sparring then bags and pads?

If by "sparring" you mean "spazzing", the answer is yes. The reason nobody wants to spar with you is because you're too awesome.

It can be something to do with lack of visualisation which means that you won't move much or throw properly but once your sparring it all becomes apparent and usable.
It's not a great quality to have though.

Who says you're good at sparring? Is that just your opinion or is it also the opinion of your trainer(s)? That's an important difference.

I have seen guys with realy bad technique give guys with good techniquea hard time in sparring just because they are more agresive, stronger and faster.

I can't shadowbox for the life of me. Jab-cross, elbows, knees, I'm ok with those, but hooks or kicks or anything else, forget it. I do much better on the bag/mitts/sparring.

don't get me wrong guys, i wasn't reffering to me at all. and when i say terrific at using it, I actually meant being able to execute their technique (whether bad or good) very well at sparring.

maybe perhaps this is due to great timing, distancing, conditioning, power ect?

It can be something to do with lack of visualisation which means that you won't move much or throw properly but once your sparring it all becomes apparent and usable.
It's not a great quality to have though.

My dad was one of these. He always had a terrible time working drills, becuase he can't "see" the application. On the other hand, just attack him in a way that is ideal for a given counter and he nails it almost textbook, but still has no idea what he did. All the time he spends doing it terrible on the mitts and in the drills, seems to pay off in very functional skills when applied real time.

Who says you're good at sparring? Is that just your opinion or is it also the opinion of your trainer(s)? That's an important difference.

YEP! agreed!

Feeling awkward or not being able to get a good rhythm on the pads can be the result of a shitty pad holder! See that quite a bit. But with the bags....... if you can execute techniques properly sparring there is no good reason you could not do the same thing on the bag........ Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of "pad pros" out there that fall apart in sparring. But usually a guy who can execute good technique sparring, can do the same on bags and pads, with a piss poor pad holder being the exception.....

Back