terrible with bagwork/pads but terrific at sparring?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by MMouse, Aug 24, 2010.

1. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

anybody encounter anyone or find themselves being terrible at bag work and pads with technique but terrific being able to use it during sparring?

does fit in the type were one can learn much better through sparring then bags and pads?

2. BWC

BWC Purple Belt

I'd be cautious saying your technique is great during sparring but crap during padwork. It's probably not that good but the speed of sparring makes up for the sloppiness. I've never seen someone use great technique while sparring while sucking on the pads. Never..

3. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

ummm not bagwork and mittwork.... but shadow boxing yeah. i seen this guy who i thought looked horrible shadow boxing and he kicked the shit out of me.

4. stupidnub

stupidnub White Belt

I've seen guys that were bad on the mitts but could spar ok, just because nobody really ever spent any time teaching them with mitts.

5. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

You can learn timing and distance by just sparring, but you perfect your technique through padwork, and you generally improve your endurance & movement on the bag. Working the bag also helps you self monitor.

Odd though, I kinda doubt that someone has good form while sparring but looks like a spaz on the mitts.

6. KickFromHell

KickFromHell Black Belt

Well, I am way better at sparring than I am in bagwork, but then again, I suck in sparring too, so...

7. leftovercrack

leftovercrack Yellow Belt

maybe you just think you were good sparring because your opponent was as bad at sparring as you are on the mitts so you were landing and in the speed of sparring thought you were throwing clean?

If you have good technique, then you would have it on the mitts and bag and sparring.

8. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

was his name Fedor? :icon_lol:

9. Giant Midget

Giant Midget Blue Belt

If you can't hit pads properly then you definently won't be "terrific" in sparring, maybe by your standards but good technique is essential so maybe you just don't realize your technique in sparring because of the speed you throw things at?

10. Magnanimity

Magnanimity White Belt

I have never been comfortable doing shadow boxing or solo kata. The only strike that feels good to throw without a target is the jab.

11. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

haha i feel the same way. jab-cross work i guess. but hooks and kicks feels silly. But i still do it as a warm up.

12. VoltMan

VoltMan Guest

Have you asked your trainer about it? Maybe you're not as bad as you see yourself on bagwork/mitts.

13. Cannon_6

Cannon_6 Green Belt

If by "sparring" you mean "spazzing", the answer is yes. The reason nobody wants to spar with you is because you're too awesome.

14. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

It can be something to do with lack of visualisation which means that you won't move much or throw properly but once your sparring it all becomes apparent and usable.
    It's not a great quality to have though.

15. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Who says you're good at sparring? Is that just your opinion or is it also the opinion of your trainer(s)? That's an important difference.

16. meauneau

meauneau Brown Belt

I have seen guys with realy bad technique give guys with good techniquea hard time in sparring just because they are more agresive, stronger and faster.

17. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

I can't shadowbox for the life of me. Jab-cross, elbows, knees, I'm ok with those, but hooks or kicks or anything else, forget it. I do much better on the bag/mitts/sparring.

18. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

don't get me wrong guys, i wasn't reffering to me at all. and when i say terrific at using it, I actually meant being able to execute their technique (whether bad or good) very well at sparring.

maybe perhaps this is due to great timing, distancing, conditioning, power ect?

19. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

My dad was one of these. He always had a terrible time working drills, becuase he can't "see" the application. On the other hand, just attack him in a way that is ideal for a given counter and he nails it almost textbook, but still has no idea what he did. All the time he spends doing it terrible on the mitts and in the drills, seems to pay off in very functional skills when applied real time.

20. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

YEP! agreed!

Feeling awkward or not being able to get a good rhythm on the pads can be the result of a shitty pad holder! See that quite a bit. But with the bags....... if you can execute techniques properly sparring there is no good reason you could not do the same thing on the bag........ Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of "pad pros" out there that fall apart in sparring. But usually a guy who can execute good technique sparring, can do the same on bags and pads, with a piss poor pad holder being the exception.....