Tendonitis Helped My BJJ

Wolverine

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Some of you know that I have been battling elbow tendonitis for a while. I decided to take about 5 weeks off from all activity... including BJJ. My right elbows seems back to normal. I still have a little tendonitis in my left elbow. I came back to BJJ class this week. I just went Tuesday and Thursday. I am still hesitiating to use my eblows so it is causing my to really back of using strength, but is seems like my BJJ game has improved because of this. Guys from my class actually think that in the 5 weeks I was gone that I was practising BJJ outside of the class.

Though my tendonitis gave me hell for about 3 to 4 months it really helped me back off of using strength and focus more on technique... it has helped me tremendously!

Thought I would share this with you guys.

Later.

Wolverine
///

Cool man. I got elbow tendonitis too (right elbow), and it sucks. Better now tho' and I'm gonna start bjj again this fall when I'm finish serving in the military. 1 week left, can't wait to get away form this place!

Wolverine said:
Hey Guys,

Some of you know that I have been battling elbow tendonitis for a while. I decided to take about 5 weeks off from all activity... including BJJ. My right elbows seems back to normal. I still have a little tendonitis in my left elbow. I came back to BJJ class this week. I just went Tuesday and Thursday. I am still hesitiating to use my eblows so it is causing my to really back of using strength, but is seems like my BJJ game has improved because of this. Guys from my class actually think that in the 5 weeks I was gone that I was practising BJJ outside of the class.

Though my tendonitis gave me hell for about 3 to 4 months it really helped me back off of using strength and focus more on technique... it has helped me tremendously!

Thought I would share this with you guys.

Later.

Wolverine
///

great news bjj is about teqnique and not power im glad you have realised this and this has made your teqnique better

yes tendonitis is bad. im currently in the process of getting over a really bad case of it in both knees (patella tendon swelled and the swelling hardened. everytime the tendon moves it bumps the swelling and causes really bad pain). im finally starting phys thearpy next week (after waiting like 2 months) and then after 2nd week of thearpy i was told i would be able to resume training. it should be interesting to see how i do

Duplicate... view post under this one.
Wolverine
///

I just begun to take a supplement by USPlabs. They sent it to me for free in order that I give them an honest testamonial. The product is called Cissus RX. It is suppose to help tendons and bones to heal faster. The only ingredient in it is an herb called Cissus Quandrangularis. Looked it up and it seems to be safe. It has only been 2 days taking this stuff. I have a 30 day supply. I will let you guys know what I think of it after the 30 days.

Take care.

Wolverine
///

so its really the time off, and the focusing on technique that got you there..
Tendenitus was just a part of the deal that got thrown in.

Yeah, if it was not for the tendonitis causing me to be more cautious (so I won't re-injure them again) I would probably still be using too much strength, and less technique.

Wolverine
///

ya ive got 10 more days myself before i can go back to training. today is day 1 of physical thearpy!

A couple of years ago there was a magazine called MA Training (by Black Belt mag) that ran an article of a woman with major arthritis problems who took BJJ and helped her a lot. I'm sure she definitely used only technique.

Good job man. hope you dont get hurt again. i took 6 weeks off of bjj, i will be forced to not use any power at all because i dont wanna get injured again.

Man, I had to take 4 months off recently. Starting training again in 10 days or so.
3 moths wtihout healing , I had a multiple injury with artrities being one of them. Problem was that the rest of the injuries in the elbow was healed, for example the hyperextension, while the artritis was still there. And it just didn

Ive currently got tendonitis in both my elbows (on the tendon which joins the biscep to the elbow joint).

It's come about I think because i've been doing a lot of weight training recently and my back is a lot stronger than my arms.

How long has it taken for you guys to have the problem go away? I've decided to completly rest the joints until it's healed properly.

Thanks.

The same goes for all injuries IMO.

Also working with Muscle Heads, you work on technique, and not strength.

Sorry for the thread bump but I have tendonitis in my elbows now and I think it's from grappling (I do Krav Maga). It doesn't hurt except when I'm in class, and often also the punching stuff makes it hurt (I'm careful not to overextend). I think it's from flexing my arms too much trying to get out of choke holds etc, but how do I get around that?

Also, is there anything I can do in the gym to help remedy it? I'm thinking I maybe need to strengthen my triceps. I know that doing dips and this exercise with the barbell where you pull it below up towards your chest (from hanging down position) using opposite grip of curls (don't know how to call it) both cause a feeling of something rubbing in my elbow and then I have to stop. I don't get tendonitis from these exercises though...

Any advice? Wolverine did that stuff help you in the end??

Back