News Teila Tuli passes away

I can't be bothered finding it, but I believe someone on Sherdog recently proved the Delucia/Jenkins match was later in the night.

See this is what I’ve always heard, either Tuli/Gordeau was the actual first fight or DeLucia/Jenkins was the first fight. Surprised this has never been confirmed over the years considering how many people were at ufc 1

One half of the first televised fight!

I saw UFC a week after it went down, Gordeau’s foot lighting up his mouth and sending a tooth into orbit. Never looked back.

RIP big fella

Backstory on Delucia. He was a kung fu guy who did the Gracie Challenge before the UFC and was tapped out. Then he studied with the Gracies for about a year before UFC 1. He fought a few other kung fu/karate/kickboxing guys in his early career. I'm sure they all wondered why he dove for their legs instead of battling on his feet.
Had some sick grappling matches in Pancrase, esp with Funaki.

Reactions: mkt
I would have liked to see Gordeau vs. Patrick Smith.
I've always thought that, too. They were both pretty high-level strikers for the time (and for such an odd, freakshow event). Either one against Zane Frazier might have been interesting for about 3 minutes. Frazier was doing well against Rosier then suddenly gassed, claiming later he had an asthma attack even though he had no history of asthma. And of course he allegedly beat up Frank Dux like a year earlier, lol.

Gordeau had a broken foot and hand by the time he fought Royce in the final. I think he would've lost anyway due to the disparity in grappling ability, but a fully healthy/mobile Gordeau vs. Royce would've been more interesting.

Reactions: HHJ
He seemed like a nice guy. Now I need to go watch forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Far too young.

For anyone who's interested, this is a quality watch.

RIP Art and Tuli.

Not many UFC vets end up with recurring acting role in a TV show.

Back