Teen who swallowed a slug on a dare became a quadriplegic

Vulcan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It all started in 2010 when a then 19-year-old Sam Ballard was dared to swallow a garden slug by his mates.

Who among us can honestly say we haven't taken part in a dare or two at this age when having a few drinks with our friends.

Sadly, for Sam, it was the beginning of an unimaginable turn.

The slug spread a very rare infection to Sam called rat lungworm.

While typically only rodents are attributed to spreading the worm, it's possible for slugs to spread it after eating infected rat faeces.

In an even worse turn of events, the majority of people who contract rat lungworm never experience any symptoms, but Sam was in the tiny percent of people who don't recover due to a severe brain infection.

After being rushed to Sydney's Royal North Shore Hospital, Sam slipped into a coma for 420 days, and when he regained consciousness, it was discovered he was a quadriplegic

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/news/latest-news/boy-ate-slug-contracts-rat-lungworm-45550

Jesus Christ

I ate a worm on a dare at boy scout camp once - probably have shit swimming in my brain now, eh?

Cot damn, poor guy

Worst I ever caught off a dare was oral herpes. I guess I should be thankful

I get garden slugs around my house every fall. Can't imagine eating one. :confused:

This is why you don't leave catfood outside in the garden cause slugs love catfood and your cat ends up catching diseases from it

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Natural selection works!

Back