Technique Critique on this video

S

salsation1

Hi, Not sure this was the right place to post this but I couldn't find a better suited one. Anyway, I was interested in taking Krav. I know I know. Those of you who hate it really hate it. Most of the criticism I hear is about poor technique and execution. Specifically I've heard it referred to as Bad Muay thai and non-existant BJJ. Anyway, In my area there is the U.S. training Headquarters for the Israeli Krav Maga Association. Daddis Fight Camps is also opening a new gym in the same town. I'm still trying to figure out my goals. I LOVE MMA but I don't think I'm someone interested in competing. I'm too pretty :) LOL. Seriously though, I want a good workout, serious self defense ability to protect myself and my family if the unlikely occurs. I want quality reality based instruction. I'm not interested in Rolling on the ground but the reality is that I know after they miss their first punch or you catch them with one of your own, most fight go to a clinch then the ground for good old fashioned GNP. Knowing this I know I need to know enough to either have a chance of preventing being taken down and if unsuccessful a real chance of getting out of that bad position quickly and effectively and ending the attack. Part of avoidence would of course be landing effective strikes in the first place.

I came across the following promo videos for the Krav Place. Can some of the fighters here give a critique on the techniques here? Is it solid? Would they work on a fully resisting opponent or is this not realistic?

My apologies if anyone feels I'm beating a dead horse. You of course don't need to respond or even read this post. I'm looking for professional and constructive feedback here from people who have experience and knowledge. If the technique sucks, please explain why. I'm Learning here. Thanks all! I truly appreciate any and all help.

YouTube - Mastering Krav Maga DVD Preview - David Kahn

YouTube - Israeli Krav Maga

I LOVE MMA but I don't think I'm someone interested in competing.

Seriously though, I want a good workout, serious self defense ability to protect myself and my family if the unlikely occurs. I want quality reality based instruction.

Is it solid? Would they work on a fully resisting opponent or is this not realistic?

I'm Learning here. Thanks all! I truly appreciate any and all help.

Based upon your stated interests, IMHO, I would say that it is a good choice. Keep in mind that the quality of the effectiveness is generally directly related to the quality of the instructor. More often than not, it boils down to the person, as opposed to the art (most arts at least). I have a buddy that I worked in LE with for years, and he is a take no bullsh*t kind of guy. He studies it or did for quite some time, with an instructor that came here from Israel, (I can't recall the instructor's name, but he is nationally known, and instructs a lot of government agencies) and my friend really liked it.

The main thing is to check out the qualifications of the instructors, and don't just go for the pitch you receive, or what is printed in their brochures. Most of the stuff they showed in the videos you posted, does and will work, however, I really do not like the wrist lock alone holds, because a really big guy will just shake you off with a GTFOM, or worse yet, punch you in the face while you are trying to apply it. They are about as effective as an ASP baton (which means, "they do not work").

Keep in mind, it does not hurt to expose yourself to a variety of different styles, and don't forget one of my personal golden rules, unless you are studying a traditional style with the intent to carry on the tradition, remember to "Keep what works, and discard what does not." I hope this helps. Good luck!

Ps. One more thing before I forget, unarmed defense against someone with a knife is only an "absolute" last ditch attempt to save your life, or someone you love. The only feasible response is distance, and a firearm.

:icon_chee

Last edited:
One thing to be leery of is that there were no sequences in which the block/trapping/parry etc was done against an opponent free to do whatever technique was desired. All the attacking strikes look pre-arranged and done halfheartedly. Most people should be able to defend against halfhearted attacks.

This is the same knock against Aikido. Fancy stuff, but will it work on a non-compliant subject?

As a self-professed KM critic, I would change my mind if i saw their students doing these drills to each other in a spontaneous way (like sparring). Doesn't have to be all the way to finishing the guy, just to the point where the attacker is brought to a compromised position and the defender can have his way.

Individual technique wise they look fine.

Throwing unlimited combinations? This is real-life, not Street Fighters.

Funny because if you go to a Muay Thai gym you will learn all those techniques and how to apply them against NON-COMPLIANT, AGGRESSIVE AND RESISTING opponents rather than live human dolls.

Please enroll in Muay Thai/MMA for the sake of good defense? If not you can always find a good Kyokushinkai dojo or an offshoot of some sorts.

There are other recommendations I could make in regards to various Chinese, Japanese or other systems of fighting but the truth is, finding a legitimate instructor is harder than finding needle in a haystack. I know, because I practice a traditional Chinese martial art alongside with my Muay Thai (I am planning to compete as well, mind you).

Might I actually recommend Filipino stickfighting? Some of it is also unrealistic crap but you can find some decent schools, they are not THAT rare (or I hope not anyways).

Weapons = best form of self defense

From what they me the the reasoning is behind the massive combos, is to teach relentless aggression. Keep hitting until the attacker is unable to attack you. I get that. I did feel the amount of rapid punches thrown was achieved b/c they were thrown without much force. I'm also wondering how much live practice they have as I agree anything works against an non-resisting opponent.

It's good to know that the technique being shown is sound. I hear often that Krav has crappy technique. This group of instructors has a sound background with instruction coming direct from Israel. Proper technique was something the touted over other Krav groups so I'm glad to hear that wasn't just smack talk.

My girl got me a one month gift certificate to the Krav place. I plan on trying them out and seeing just how real it is. I'm not one to be a "human doll" when a technique is put on me so we'll see how that goes. If it doesn't go well I'll try Daddis fight Camps. Muay thai/MMA program. Maybe I'll do a month of each anyway just to be sure.

If they are both good and I enjoy them, would it be dumb to do both? Assuming I could afford it.

Thanks to all of you for replying. I was afraid I'd get flamed here for posting a Krav question. Glad you all offered good insight and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back