Technical Submission exist?

johnpfarmer

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Context: So theres this MuayThai page that made a post about Rodtang got knocked out by Demetrious Johnson. Then I commented that Rodtang loss to Mighty Mouse was a technical submission because Rodtang went to sleep before he could tap. Then theres this guy gave me a reply that "Submission is submission, there's no such thing as technical submission" then he went on to say that he's a trained MMA judge and never hear of the terms technical submission before.

Question:
1.I'm so confused. Most of the websites that do mma records uses the term technical submission on every fighter that didn't tap but got choked to sleep or have their limbs broken. However in those fight I never hear Buffer annouced that it was a technical submission (for example watch Michael Bisping vs GSP octagon interview) so can someone explain to me if the term technical submission is an official term or it just unofficially made up?
2. If it is an official term why the ring announcer only annouce the win as submission win but not technical submission(The loser got choked unconcious) but on the other hand KO and TKO seems to be clearly annouces all the times.

Good question, but maybe move it up to the UFC sub-forum for more looks and replies.

IMG_2334.png
Paulo Thiago beat Mike Quick Swick by technical submission, don’t know why that was the first one that came to mind

I am not in the least bit surprised that a “trained” mma judge has no idea what he’s talking about

2. If it is an official term why the ring announcer only annouce the win as submission win but not technical submission(The loser got choked unconcious) but on the other hand KO and TKO seems to be clearly annouces all the times.
Hmm... This is an interesting question. A technical submission is a thing, as you said, it's when a fighter refuses to tap and the ref. steps in to stop the fight because the fighter went to sleep or suffered a broken limb. Now why don't ring announcers call them that, I'm not sure, but it is a thing.

It’s a thing, they’re usually just not listed as such. If you watch the Japanese promotion DEEP JEWELS, the refs intervene fairly often to prevent joint injury

Back