teacher bias?

gracie_barra**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
all good instructors are not bias.. to a degree. this isn't a 'bad' bias by any means. a great instructor is about 95 percent impartial, but theres always that little 5 percent in him, where he notices someone with that certain 'spark.' perhaps its that scrawny, hot-headed 16 year old kid who reminds him of himself 20 years ago, or the 250lb newb who shows up to every class, rain or shine and sweats thru the workouts- even when half the class has stopped. they are the shinya aoki to yuki nakai, vitor to carlson, marcelo to fabio, etc. sometimes the bias is quite evident when the teacher gives his prodigy a noticable increase in attention over the other students and shows him more moves/rolls with him lightly. sometimes the bias is disguised as tough love, in which case the teacher may make his pupil do 5 more pushups than the others, or 5 more situps, or roll harder for 10 more minutes to make the guy puke, just to see if he breaks.

i once read a story on some forum where this guy did a drop in to some hole in the wall judo school. the teacher was a national champion and the guy noticed the teacher asking this 17 year old kid to spar with him. the kid goes all out trying to throw him, but the teacher counters more and more and throws him harder and harder. the teacher then yells at the kid for failing his throws, and for not knowing the simple counters. they go at it for bout 20 minutes till the kid is exhausted. to the kid this is torture, but to the sensei, the kid will one day be a champion and insid he knows the kids got what it takes, and all this abuse would have been worth it. then the kid may see potential in someone else, and the cycle will repeat itself,

just wondering whether you have noticed this bias yourself, are you the target of your instructors bias, or if you're an instructor do you have a bias?

i have experienced this myself and seen it with other students at my school. i have a muay thai instructor who will singles me out when we are doing leg conditioning and kicks the ever loving shit out of my thighs, grins and tells me it will make me tougher.

I stopped paying tuition under the condition "that I keep training at least 3 times a week" :icon_chee

My old instructor couldn't really give much of a shit about what other people in the club were doing apart from the mma ones. These guys usually came from some other club and suddenly he would spend all his attention with them.

I was lucky to find a club where the teachers and other students look at your game, what your doing right and wrong, gives encouragement to everyone. Im just really sad that I have to leave it in September when I get back to the uk.

Everyone will find certain people they click with .. maybe it's a similar style , or mind set. Instructors will do this to they are human.

Myself when I help around here , there are certain guys who will ask for your help then interrupt you and say they got it and nothing has changed , and refuse to listen . You could not pay me to help them . then you have guys who are as addicted to BJJ as you are and listen and are hungry for more. sure I am going to help them over the other moron

Maybe it wasn't the intended use of this thread, but I read it and it really inspired me.

I'm the youngest regular at my gym, and my instructor will really ride me, getting me to go that much harder, do the extra pushups, and yell at me if I pace myself too much. But then after class he shows me moves from positions I was stuck in, and has me do positional rolling. Lately I confused the extra attention for dissatisfaction, but I now realize he probably sees positive values in me and wants me to succeed.

I feel quite honoured in that I am the goto guy when it coems to the coaches wanting me to take over their kid-s-classes if they can't show

Good thread TS. And yes I have noticed this in one of my coaches.

When I was at LVCC I think Sergio Penha sensed that in Cameron Diffley, our coach now. Cameron has turned out to he a phenomenal coach though.

Almost every academy I've attended where the instructor is Brazilian, they would give a LOT more extra attention and favoritism towards their Brazilian students. Usually it happens in the form of me rolling with a Brazilian student and our instructor yelling out instructions to my training partner in Portuguese and me not getting any sort of instruction at all.

Almost every academy I've attended where the instructor is Brazilian, they would give a LOT more extra attention and favoritism towards their Brazilian students. Usually it happens in the form of me rolling with a Brazilian student and our instructor yelling out instructions to my training partner in Portuguese and me not getting any sort of instruction at all.

haha owned

yeah i've gotten that one too.

I like being the person that my instructor uses for demos bc I like feeling how techniques are supposed to feel....the pressure, the pain etc. It makes you a better practitioner.

This happened at a previous school I used to train at. I was a white belt rolling with a Brazilian black belt. The instructor yells out tips to the BLACKBELT in Portuguese! WTF?

Back