Targeting specific techniques

the_Dark Knight

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So my new goal is to spend each mth focusing on a specific technique and a sweep. The flavor of the mth for October is the lapel choke. My question is do you think I should go about it learning the choke from every position possible or should i train a new technique for every positon? DO you ever do training like this?

If you're going to do that, there are two schools of thought:

1) Learn to hit it from EVERY POSITION POSSIBLE (the D'arce method)
2) Learn one way to hit it really FUCKING awesome and work on getting to that specific position (the Roger Gracie method)

I find it a strange method to train on specific techniques.

I train on a specific guard and concentrate on specific techniques from the guard instead.

I can see how that would work, but I feel it may be overload in terms of all the options avaible from a certain position. Agree or no?

I train on a specific guard and concentrate on specific techniques from the guard instead

Not sure, saying I will focus on lapel choke is way to vast array to concentrate on. lapel choke from guard, side control, mount, 1/2 guard etc...

I find it more logical for my brain to develop on attacks and sweeps for a specific position/guard.

At the moment I am into sit up guard.

For each reaction of UKE, I worked out a response and a sweep/attack.

If he steps that way, I do that and if he does this stuff instead, I would do this attack instead.

It is just a blue print that I keep developing until I get bored of it and I would start playing with somethin else.

So if I can actually sit with you and explain all the nitty gritty details of my sit up guard.

I do the same from the mount, back control, side control...

It is about developing your own blue print and refining it by making errors and asking people their own opinion about it and asked them to test as well.

It is like asking a more advanced belt to try to pass your sit up guard and you do not use anything that your sit up guard moves/game plan.

I know some guys are like into drilling 1000 times X one techniques per work..but I am too lazy.

Drill it one type of lapel choke, from one position. Try to get there every single roll. I think that for lapel chokes, drilling isn't super helpful. Do like twenty to thirty reps on each side every day for a month. Those reps add up, do them with someone during open mats. Don't be super adamant about finishing someone during the roll with the choke, use it to setup sweeps and other stuff. Even for one submission from one position, there may be multiple entries that you can play around with.

So my new goal is to spend each mth focusing on a specific technique and a sweep. The flavor of the mth for October is the lapel choke. My question is do you think I should go about it learning the choke from every position possible or should i train a new technique for every positon? DO you ever do training like this?

I do what a current Lloyd Irvin up-and-comer told me was a 90-day action plan. Basically, every 90 days, you take 3 sweeps, 3 passes, and 3 submissions and you focus most of your drilling time on those. You look for them when rolling, and hopefully get at least 500 to a thousand reps in with each technique during drilling, which can be hard, but shooting for a high # is good.

So from Jan-April 1st might be:

Sweeps;
1. Flower Sweep
2. Waiter sweep from Deep Half Guard
3. One-Legged X-Guard sweep

Passes;
1. Backstep half-guard pass
2. Tozi pass
3. Butterfly to dope-mount pass

Submissions;
1. Darce/Brabo choke to full mount finish
2. Straight footlock
3. Kimura from North/South

You may need to ass or subtract certain techniques based on gi and no-gi. Like 9 moves for gi and 9 moves for no-gi wll spread you too thin for the 90 days, so you may have a cross-collar choke for one 90 days with a Reverse Heelhook and a Peruvian Necktie, but the next month you might have a bow-and-arrow choke and a half-nelson collar choke, with only one no-gi 'ish sub in the mix.

Also, notice on this list each sweep is from a different guard. Each pass is for a different guard. Each sub attacks a different part of the body. It doesn't have to be different every time. There's nothing wrong with choosing 3 chokes or 3 closed guard sweeps, but just play around with it.

Obviously don't JUST do these 9 moves, but focus on them. Try to get specific. It's important not to try to do this right when you start. I think blue belt is a good time to play with this. I haven't done one in a while, and don't plan to soon, but I don't think it would have worked well for me in my first year as a whitebelt.

I find it a strange method to train on specific techniques.

I train on a specific guard and concentrate on specific techniques from the guard instead.

This is what I do now. That said, there was a period where the 90-day plan worked well FOR ME. Dunno about anyone else.

This is what I do now. That said, there was a period where the 90-day plan worked well FOR ME. Dunno about anyone else.

Yep, your training focus is not bad either.

It is more shotgun spray with 3 x techniques in 3 differents situations.

While I am more focused on one guard and just work a maze of techniques from that one position.

Yep, your training focus is not bad either.

It is more shotgun spray with 3 x techniques in 3 differents situations.

While I am more focused on one guard and just work a maze of techniques from that one position.

I don't even do the 3x3 anymore though. I like to pick a concept and a guard/sub/sweep/transition/escape that is in line with that and climb the tree and see what branches I come across. Different analogy, but basically the same as what you're doing.

I like to focus on a specific technique from a position, and work counters and recounters from there. At the same time I continue the standard training for the position. That way I get some depth but don't loose too much the big picture.

The focus will last 8-16 training sessions, or about 3-6 weeks training 3 times a week.

I think that hyperfocusing on a specific submission can be a good thing in training - it's how I developed my lapel choke game, which is my bread and butter from top. As Luther said, it's good to map out the responses you'll get from setting up a choke, and then the options that are available depending on that: counter, recounter, change position, etc.

Back