Taking the Benson Henderson fight was probably smart on Cerrone's part.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Chuck Rock, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Chuck Rock

Chuck Rock Blue Belt Double Yellow Card

Even with 2 losses to him, I think Bendo is still an easier path to a title shot than Khabib would be. With Dos Anjos fighting Pettis you gotta imagine Cerrone vs Khabib would likely be the next title contender fight they make. Especially with the win streaks both guys have going. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Cerrone was promised a title shot with a win over Henderson. That coupled with the fact that he'll probably receive a pretty nice paycheck for taking the fight on a weeks notice likely made the fight impossible to pass up. Don't get me wrong I still favour Bendo, but Cowboy has looked pretty good lately and Henderson hasn't, so who knows.

2. Harlekin

Harlekin Brown Belt

Benson didn't look that bad. RDA is just a lot better boxer than him and boxing was always Bensons weakness.
    He showed improvements in boxing though against Thomson, Khabilov and RDA.
    His problem is to learn a fucking jab, which is ridicolous. He needs a solid right hand against Cerrone.

Cerrone:
    Kicks: very good
    BJJ: very good
    Wrestling: good, with that size and weight he's fine
    Boxing: Stiff, average footwork, average technique, bad head movement, size advantage

Benson:
    Kicks: good, not as good as Cerrone
    BJJ: good, not as good as Cerrone
    Wrestling: Very good
    Boxing: Has no jab, very fast footwork, good combinations, overall a bit better than Cerrone.

I got Benson in the boxing department, Cerrone in Kicking and BJJ and maybe Benson in wrestling.

3. BrazilianDude

BrazilianDude Gold Belt

I think Bendo wins a decision, but it is the best chance Cerrone has among the fighters ranked above him.

4. Namek

Namek Brown Belt

Benson is bigger and stronger than Cerrone. I think he'll decision him again.

5. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

I would be worried about burn out , look at what happened to Rick Story , he goes from a win streak that included a win over Jhonny Hendricks and Thiago Alves and then signs to fight less than a month out against Marquardt , then Nate drops out and he gets Brennamen , and Charlie upsets him. Now Cerrone is stepping in after a great streak himself on even shorter notice against a guy who already has 2 wins on him and will be hungry to bounce back

6. Jose Aldo Nova

Jose Aldo Nova in vino veritas Platinum Member

It's not probably smart, it was extremely smart - he saved that fight, seems to have no real interest in the title, and makes money.

Even if he loses, he still comes out on top.

7. WandySaku2

WandySaku2 Purple Belt

I think he still has to fight Khabib to get a title fight, depending on when he comes back. The next LW title fight after Pettis/dos Anjos is going to be in June at the earliest.

8. clayj

clayj Red Belt

He's thinking two fights with the expense of only one training camp. The man needs to get paid, he's got motorcycles and monster trucks to buy.

9. Cosmic Cthulhu

Cosmic Cthulhu Green Belt

You can't be serious...

Henderson escaped every submission attempt Cerrone threw at him in their first fight, then tapped him out in their rematch.

10. briwen76

briwen76 Blue Belt

IMO it's brilliant. Ceronne really has nothing to lose here. A big payday, fighting a top 5 guy, and on short notice. Even if he loses he will not fall far getting the credit for the extremely short notice. If you are not hurt from your last fight and you know your conditioning is where it needs to be just coming off a fight, why not?

11. Cantalope

Cantalope Black Belt

He's wanting that performance bonus Jury screwed him out of.

12. SingaPlata

SingaPlata Yellow Belt

Cowboy taking this fight is really an emotional decision following the disappointing win over jury

2 weeks to fight day and he's now driving from LVegas to Boston in his RV?? I don't know about US geography much but it seems at least 3days drive or maybe much longer if he stops to train along the way

What a character... what a hero