Taking BCAA's

maddwraph

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just started working out again after wrestling season because I didnt really get to workout then. For now, Im just taking whey protien and Im gonna buy BCAA's where ever I can find them cheapest. When and how much should I take? Is 5 grams like 10 minutes before workout good? Do I take them on off days? The cheapest I found is the bulk nutrition one.

Also, I was wondering if your body grows dependant on supplements. I know stuff like caffeine people need to function, is that the same thing with things like BCAA's? Thank you.

Your BCAAs should be in a BCAA/Carbo mix, roughly 75% carbs (dextro/malto or WMS) and 25% BCAA.

Best is to make a custom blend on trueprotein.com with roughly the above %

Yeah true protein has a good custom mix system, i usually buy the BCAAs seperate though, i like using the custom mix for protein powder blends.

i drink Xtend......its amazing stuff....helps endurance and recovery big time man

how much grams and how much times a day should i take the BCAA? should I take it everyday?

protein has BCAAs in it. I checked again recently, and I didn't find any evidence to suggest that adding free BCAAs anything more than just taking protein.

All the tests of free BCAAs compare to placebo or sugar or whatever, so we don't know how they compare to protein which has BCAAs as well as other AAs.

protein has BCAAs in it. I checked again recently, and I didn't find any evidence to suggest that adding free BCAAs anything more than just taking protein.

All the tests of free BCAAs compare to placebo or sugar or whatever, so we don't know how they compare to protein which has BCAAs as well as other AAs.

Good point. I am interested in learning more about why people take BCAA's. Looking at my protein, it has:

Isoleucine 6.5g
Leucine 10.3g
Valine 5.7g
total: 22.5g per 100g protein

So a 30g scoop would contain 6.75 grams of BCAA's. Is this a case of more is better? Just like meat contains creatine and we still supplement with that? I've been thinking of adding 5g BCAA's to my 15g/30g protein/carb peri workout drink.

Your BCAAs should be in a BCAA/Carbo mix, roughly 75% carbs (dextro/malto or WMS) and 25% BCAA.

Best is to make a custom blend on trueprotein.com with roughly the above %

Is it good to take BCAAs with carbs pre workout because they help digest the BCAAs or because carbs are jsut bettter preworkout?

milk is something like 80% of the performance of the best designed shakes possible, so don't sweat it, it doesnt have to be rocket science.

I do have reason to believe that buffing the three big BCAAs just before + during a workout is beneficial, but still it isn't a big deal. This is why everyone takes so much whey, it has a big shot of BCAAs, and it works quickly. (as far as casein goes, casein+whey is long proven to work better than either does alone)

Also, unless you have a particular reason for it (like a competition), you don't need to bother with creatine. The consensus on the bodybuilding.com science forum, last I read, was don't bother with creatine, and if you do, only take it on workout days (2-3 days a week) so the creatine receptors don't get used to it too much.

creatine receptors? Just out of curiousity are creatine alpha or beta receptors?

i drink ON pro complex whey, it has tons of BCAA's and EAA's and some vitamins in it, so i get my protein + bcaas in one shot. yes its expensive but it comes out even cuz if you buy bcaa's separately and the shake its similar price.

Also, unless you have a particular reason for it (like a competition), you don't need to bother with creatine. The consensus on the bodybuilding.com science forum, last I read, was don't bother with creatine, and if you do, only take it on workout days (2-3 days a week) so the creatine receptors don't get used to it too much.

No need to worry about receptor down regulation:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?p=20819554#post20819554

I can't understand why any athlete training in an explosive sport and/or fashion would NOT use creatine; the science as a positive ergogenic is overwhelming to the point you'd be silly not to use it.

Leucine has been proven to have definite individual processes that supercede it's role in protein alone. And taking protein is more than "just a big shot of BCAA's".

I, for one, hate taking pre-workout protein shakes. Using a basic high-dose BCAA complex works just fine, makes a definitely thinner more gatorade-like drink, and has proven results to prevent muscle-wasting.

Hey guys, I just started working out again after wrestling season because I didnt really get to workout then. For now, Im just taking whey protien and Im gonna buy BCAA's where ever I can find them cheapest. When and how much should I take? Is 5 grams like 10 minutes before workout good? Do I take them on off days? The cheapest I found is the bulk nutrition one.

Also, I was wondering if your body grows dependant on supplements. I know stuff like caffeine people need to function, is that the same thing with things like BCAA's? Thank you.

You can use Whey mixed with BCAA powder during your workout. 5 grams wont do much. 15-30 grams during your workout will help you recover quicker. BCAA powder is tough to mix though and doesnt taste too good. You can try one of the pre-formulated products out there. I use EXTEND by Scivation. It has BCAA plus Glutamine and Citrulline Malate, which is good for endurance and pumps. Legendary Strength Coach Charles Poliquin is a big believer i large doses of BCAA during the workout.

Back