Takedowns against defensive stance

sha

Geekjitsu Black Belt
@purple
Reaction score
One problem I'm having recently in no gi sparring is getting a takedown against people who don't want to engage and just circle off and push your head or shoulders, usually because they are bad at wrestling.

A good wrestler can shoot a double leg even from a distance, but my wrestling sucks so if I do it the guy sees it coming and just sprawls on me on guillotines me.

What would be the easiest way to deal with this situation for a beginner wreslter ? Would you try to go for a sweep single or double from outside the clinch ? Or try to force a clinch by going for a strong neck tie ?

One problem I'm having recently in no gi sparring is getting a takedown against people who don't want to engage and just circle off and push your head or shoulders, usually because they are bad at wrestling.

A good wrestler can shoot a double leg even from a distance, but my wrestling sucks so if I do it the guy sees it coming and just sprawls on me on guillotines me.

What would be the easiest way to deal with this situation for a beginner wreslter ? Would you try to go for a sweep single or double from outside the clinch ? Or try to force a clinch by going for a strong neck tie ?

the key to ALL takedowns is setups. This is no different. You have to do something to get them to react first instead of just shooting in. shot and re-shot works against ppl who time a sprawl. shoot a shallow shot, then half back out and shoot again.

or move their feet by tie ups and drags and shucks. get them stepping somewhere you know they'll be. get a head tie snap or schuck then shoot.

learn how to sprawl. wrestle more. do less bjj.

you cant suck at wrestling and be good at bjj.

push head or shoulders a good 2 seconds later youll be on your back. set ups. or you could throw there are plenty of takedowns. not just shots

the key to ALL takedowns is setups. This is no different. You have to do something to get them to react first instead of just shooting in. shot and re-shot works against ppl who time a sprawl. shoot a shallow shot, then half back out and shoot again.

or move their feet by tie ups and drags and shucks. get them stepping somewhere you know they'll be. get a head tie snap or schuck then shoot.

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes... the key to taking someone down STARTS with the set-up. Have a set-up, 100%, always... without a proper set-up, the move will be much, much weaker. Against a competent opponent, you will not get the takedown without a set up. What then happens is the two grapplers will try to "out-set up" the other, and it becomes a series of back-and-forth exchanges where each person is trying to counter and set-up the TD simultaneously.

There should never be a takedown where you don't set it up first, with the exception if the guy is simply not paying attention (like looking at the clock). In that case, the set-up would warn him that you are coming in for the shot. But other than that, when you are engaged, you must circle, snap, shuck, step, tap, fake, or otherwise set him up somehow. 100% of the time.

I emphasize this when teaching wrestling, but it is even more important in judo.

Sha, If they're reaching for your head to push off and keep distance, take advantage of their extended arm with an armdrag or a duck-under. Catch their arm just above the elbow to execute an armdrag OR just knock it up hard and fast with your forearm when they reach and shoot underneath (their weight will be on their front foot if they were reaching forward, and knocking the arm up will slow down their sprawl and keep their arms out of the takedown defense equation). Good luck.

I kind of have the same problem, except I always want to tie up in clinch to work some judo, and the guys at my club (no-gi grappling, not judo lol) know this, so they refuse to engage, and try to shoot a single leg on me. it's quite frustrating.

Back