"Tainted supplement" - USADA loophole?

It's an unregulated industry.

That's why real sports like the NFL have their athletes send in samples of all substances they are using to be tested and cleared by the NFL.

The UFC could do this but they are broke and can't afford it.
The UFC doesn't even need to do that. They can just take MLB's route, and advise everyone to take NSF certified supplements rather than some of the more sketchy shit.

http://www.nsfsport.com/about.asp

It's a serious problem.

Look at the pre workout Jack3d which cause false positives for amphetamines (I think). People were failing work drug tests and getting fired.

No one believed the first few people to come out but then it was found that DMAA was causing false positives.

Also happened with DS CRAZE. These were 2 pre workouts that were used by a huge number of people.

Find a supplement that has unlisted banned substances and use that supplement as an excuse when I get caught......
Lol. You don't know which supplements have what. It's not like it's listed anywhere nor do the manufacturers have a list for you. You get caught for specific supplement, you can't just go and find a random supplement and use that as an excuse. They test it to see if it contains the supplement you tested positive for

Why the hell do none of my supplements accidently have steroids in them???

What organization are you using to test them?

Who makes them?

Where are the facilities located?

How often are they inspected?

What type of punishments do they face if they fail inspection?

What if someone gets a shitload of supplements tested at a local laboratory, finds out if any are "tainted" and what with, then proceeds to ingest massive amounts of said ingredient always safe in the knowledge his supplement is "tainted" with the same thing....

Tinfoil hat maybe required, but definitely possible.

Do you understand how much testing costs? What you think a bunch of high school chemists just get together, put some shit in a beaker and boom they get results?

Holy shit sherdoggers are retarded with their conspiracies. Hurr durr they took these tainted supps on purpose, even though the reason they're considered tainted is because the banned substance isn't mentioned...hurr durr

What type of punishments do they face if they fail inspection?

I was being facetious.

But I'm still skeptical that this is a "big" issue. It reminds me of the playground stories of people putting acid (or whatever) in your weed. Why would any drug dealer bother to do that?

It's the same with tainted supplements; why would a company put a more expensive drug into (sometimes nearly worthless) supplement powders? To make you think it "works better"? That's a pretty big cost and risk, and you limit your market (because you're fucking shady).

But I could just be incredibly naive, I don't take many supplements.

It's both a legit reason and a excuse/loophole depending on situation.

Get over it.
No, its just a loophole. I'm sure USADA has a whole list of supplements that fighters are clear to use and have been tested but they instead choose to use "supplements" they get from some dude in the gym locker room.

No, its just a loophole. I'm sure USADA has a whole list of supplements that fighters are clear to use and have been tested but they instead choose to use "supplements" they get from some dude in the gym locker room.
USADA has no whitelist, only a blacklist and a general warning.

http://www.supplement411.org/hrl/

http://www.usada.org/resources/nutrition/vitamins-minerals-and-other-supplements/
"For athletes subject to sport drug testing, taking nutritional or dietary supplements may cause a positive test for a prohibited substance that may not be disclosed on the product label. In accordance with all applicable rules for a positive test result within a sport, a sanction may be imposed.

Some trade associations and other businesses have programs that include analytical testing and quality assessment of dietary supplements, culminating in a “stamp of approval’ or a “guarantee” that the supplement is safe for use in sport. These programs may reduce the risk that a supplement is contaminated, or contains an undisclosed ingredient. HOWEVER, it does not eliminate this risk. Athletes who take dietary or nutritional supplements, even if claiming to be “approved” or “verified,” do so at their own risk of committing an anti-doping rule violation, or suffering from negative health side-effects."

it can be used as a loophole in some cases.

doesnt take away the fact that those things can happen to any athlete who isn't able to spend milions in his supplements.
Well, it could happen to any athlete who's "gym buddy ordered dick pills for him off the internet"

why would a company put a more expensive drug into (sometimes nearly worthless) supplement powders? To make you think it "works better"? That's a pretty big cost and risk, and you limit your market (because you're fucking shady).

Well it's a two part issue - First the manufacturures are probably not trying to taint or do anything shady. It's just that they simply don't give a shit if it happens by accident. These supplements (and by these, I mean many many supplements in general) are made in facilities that make many products. Their main priority is making money, and not giving a shit if the last batch of Ibutamoren was completely cleaned out of the vats and belts, before the next batch of say whey protein is started up. They don't give a shit if there's residue leftover, because that takes time to clean up, and if the penalties are weak or nonexistent, then it becomes the customers' problem.

Second, some facilities might be run by Company X, but contracted out of Company A, Company B, and Company C. There's so much shit going on here, and A, B and C can't possibly guarantee that X will run a tight ship. Right now in the US, regulations on supplements and enforcement of their manufacturing standards are lax and hardly even existent. This will not get better any time soon.

Last edited:
USADA has no whitelist, only a blacklist and a general warning.

http://www.supplement411.org/hrl/

http://www.usada.org/resources/nutrition/vitamins-minerals-and-other-supplements/
"For athletes subject to sport drug testing, taking nutritional or dietary supplements may cause a positive test for a prohibited substance that may not be disclosed on the product label. In accordance with all applicable rules for a positive test result within a sport, a sanction may be imposed.

Some trade associations and other businesses have programs that include analytical testing and quality assessment of dietary supplements, culminating in a “stamp of approval’ or a “guarantee” that the supplement is safe for use in sport. These programs may reduce the risk that a supplement is contaminated, or contains an undisclosed ingredient. HOWEVER, it does not eliminate this risk. Athletes who take dietary or nutritional supplements, even if claiming to be “approved” or “verified,” do so at their own risk of committing an anti-doping rule violation, or suffering from negative health side-effects."
Ohh shit. Well, thank you for educating my dumb ass.

Right now in the US, regulations on supplements and enforcement of their manufacturing standards are lax and hardly even existent.

For sure. I think it's now more common than not that your supplement isn't what it says on the label. If you're lucky it's just dirt.

I guess I never really thought that the same factories would be doing runs of creatine and some steroid.

Here's my take (for what it's worth)-- been watching this GREAT SPORT for many years.I truly believe that there were so many fighters taking things that all of a sudden they were not allowed to take ,especially masking agents and things like that.At the end of the day,thank God for usada.We now see who s the who and who are the best mmartist s/ cage fighters in the world.

I've noticed and I've mentioned names in other posts which I won't repeat but the adage "the eye test " still holds true and I think we're past " an official date" that USADA said " ok, enough is enough after such a period"------( I'm sure they weren't going hand out suspensions- to literally, 40 % of the UFC roster)

They wanted this sport mainstream and on its way to being" one of the major sports" well they have a weekly tv show and an annual package of live fighting on FOX (as in channel 5) so now, the only thing missing is a fighters union (which may never happen).

What if they made their own "tainted" supplement line?? Tinfoil indeed sir.
I thought I recognized these guys
xt1B5qu.jpg

Do you understand how much testing costs? What you think a bunch of high school chemists just get together, put some shit in a beaker and boom they get results?

Holy shit sherdoggers are retarded with their conspiracies. Hurr durr they took these tainted supps on purpose, even though the reason they're considered tainted is because the banned substance isn't mentioned...hurr durr
Actually I don't know how much testing costs. Can you please enlighten me with a link or source?

And for the record, I didn't say it's happening, just that it was possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Víctor Hugo Teco
Back