SYR and dirt

ohmalley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i've noticed that at the 6 month mark my white syr #6 is looking pretty grimey. for background: i train in it once a week (it's in rotation with 2 other white gis). i wash it after every single wear with tide and/or oxyclean, in cold water, hang to dry. i have a white manto and a white mizuno as well. both are between 3-6 months older, and are also worn once a week (tho, obviously they've seen a lot more action, given that they're older). while of course subject to the normal amount of greying (esp at the knees and sleeve cuffs), both of them look a lot newer than my syr. they get washed and dried exactly the same, and with the same frequency, but have seen significantly more usage. both are about 50% whiter overall than my syr.

could this have something to do with the type of weave? anyone else notice this, or am i just unlucky? i'd try bleaching it but a) don't want to fade the grey trim or embroidery, and b) don't want to weaken the fabric. there's a guy in my gym who bleached his, and it's obvious cuz the grey trim on the side vents is faded and almost pink-grey.

also, don't get me wrong -- i know white gis will get grimey over time. that's just how it goes. but this gi seems to hang on to every little smudge it gets, whereas the same types of stains on my other gis wash out cleaner.

any tips for whitening a gi without bleach? is this somethign a drycleaner could do?

You can try pre treating with vinegar and/or oxyclean it should help remove some of the grime if you give it a good soak.

oxyclean or spray n wash. spray it on the entire collar, the arm pits, and any place visibly dingy. That is about the best you can do.

This has kept all my SYRs white..

Every other week, I will soak it in detergent and oxyclean for about 30-45 min then put it through the wash cycle. I have 6 gis in my regular use rotation so if you use your gis more frequently do this once/week

Why don't any of the respondents read the actual post? He said he washes it in oxyclean. I personally think it has to do with the cotton in the Shoyoroll gi fabric. They may be getting their material from a different supplier, therefore affecting how grimy it gets as compared to the other gis.

Meh, it's bound to get dirty man. You're fighting an uphill battle, embrace the off white.

Its a damn gi, worry less about how you look and more about how you roll.

Its a damn gi, worry less about how you look and more about how you roll.

spare me the trite and meaningless platitudes. i'd like to prevent a $160 gi from turning brown in its first 6 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back