Swollen barbell?

RedNeckJiuJitsu

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
For lack of a better term, had anyone else ever had the end of a barbell swell up on them? I think it was last summer I was testing DL max. I didn't drop the bar, but set it down pretty quickly. I have 2 layets of rubber mats with 1/2" OSB sandwiched between on my basement floor for a platform, so I thought Iwas pretty set up, but unloading after that set one of my plates was extremely difficult to get off the bar. Like had to hammer it off with another plate hard. Only have issues on that one side and with that one plate. I ended up color coding that plate and the other end of the bar to make sure i put the plate on that side, as none of the other plates have any issue, just the one.

Anybody else ever have anything like that? Not a big deal, just seems odd to me.

Yeah, I've dealt with plates jamming in the past, especially with well-used bumpers. They might bend just a tiny little bit and that makes them not slide on and off the barbell as usual. If it's manageable it's fine, if not you might need to get another plate at that weight.

I was thinking I might take and sand a tick off the inside of the plate. It can't be too awful much that the bar swelled/bent, as literally none of my other plates of any weight catch there, just that one 45.

I’ve worked out in the same commercial gym with the same plates and bars that are beat up as shit from constant use from all kinds of clueless gym bros using them 14hs a day throughout the years, and I’ve never experienced this. Interesting. What kind of bar/plates are you using?

For lack of a better term, had anyone else ever had the end of a barbell swell up on them? I think it was last summer I was testing DL max. I didn't drop the bar, but set it down pretty quickly. I have 2 layets of rubber mats with 1/2" OSB sandwiched between on my basement floor for a platform, so I thought Iwas pretty set up, but unloading after that set one of my plates was extremely difficult to get off the bar. Like had to hammer it off with another plate hard. Only have issues on that one side and with that one plate. I ended up color coding that plate and the other end of the bar to make sure i put the plate on that side, as none of the other plates have any issue, just the one.

Anybody else ever have anything like that? Not a big deal, just seems odd to me.
If they were made of wood, I would understand. If they were metal, someone probably dropped them. Maybe not you. Metal doesn't deform on its own. But I'm not sure about Chinese metal :D

I do weightlifting at a club where pretty much all the equipment is old AF. Most if not all bumper plates slide poorly on the barbells, to the extent that you sometimes need to shake them off the barbell if that makes sense. But jamming like what you are describing TS, I have never seen...

I have no idea what brand of bar it is. Yard sale Special. If memory serves, the first set that I bought came with a bench labeled "Body By Jake", or something like that, but I'm not sure if this bar was the one that came with that or the other one I picked up shortly after that.
I've had heavier loads on it that I thought came down faster/harder than the one that had damage after, but it might have been cumulative, too.

It's probably just a cheap bar and deformed the roller slightly.

Thanks for the input.

Back