Switching school, opinions needed

Accipiter

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everybody, so I'm looking for some personal opinions on which site you would train. I was planning on doing some monthly training at some local schools. After visiting them I was surprised at what I didn't know and what my school does not teach. Our takedowns are not adequate and we do not work several positions including x-guard, inverted guard, and we only do minimal de la riva. I have been there 3+ years (I'm a blue belt) so I think I have a good feel for what we simply don't train. I now have the feeling I should switch schools. Both instructors are extremely nice at each of the schools I visited.
School 1 has a world champion teacher, Samuel Braga but the timing of the classes is not perfect and I will likely miss some because of my work schedule.
School 2 is Helio Soneca affiliated and the instructor also has a judo black belt and you can attain rank in Judo, which he teaches in every class. The instructor spent at least 25 min with me personally when I visited.
Both schools were alot of fun and welcoming. I could see myself at either. Is there an obvious answer here, would most of you definitely train with Braga?
On a second note for those that have left a school, how did you do so?

Our takedowns are not adequate and we do not work several positions including x-guard, inverted guard, and we only do minimal de la riva.
This is actually very common.
I could see myself at either. Is there an obvious answer here, would most of you definitely train with Braga?
A good school you can attend is better than a great school where you can't make it to classes because of timing.
Also, in addition to evaluating instructors and curriculum, you should also look at the quantity/quality of sparring partners at these schools compared to your current one.
On a second note for those that have left a school, how did you do so?
Leave on a good note as much as it's possible: stay until the end of your contract, don't dwell on the reasons you are choosing to switch schools, thank everyone, and keep it short: there is no good way to break up.

Do you feel your current instructor is not good enough to teach you these things, and give you the type of training you want?

I'm a big believer in loyalty, but only to a certain point. If your instructor is a mess and doesn't know BJJ well enough to be teaching you, then by all means go where you feel the instructor can, but if that isn't quite the case you should really talk to your instructor first. There's a very good chance that he just hasn't shared those positions for a reason, or because he just didn't think to. Get his POV on it, and share your concerns. give him a chance to make adjustments. I mean he's been training you for 3 years, right? Talk to him first, then if you don't see eye to eye, or if you don't see improvement in your training go to another gym.

I have left a team twice. Once was not my choice. Partners split, and I was a live in student. 2nd I moved across the country, and was too new to instruct. I spoke with my original instructor and got his opinion on who I should continue training with in my new state. I've been with them ever since.

Just think about it like this. It's "Rocky V", you're Tommy, and your current coach is Rocky. Communicate.

We have asked in class about certain positions, and the answer we get is the sport vs defensive jiu-jitsu talk. It has been explained that we don't train those positions because they are not necessary; the core original jiu jitsu can defeat these new positions that are just the latest trend. I never thought too much about it until I rolled with some students at other schools and I was shocked at their skill level compared to their rank/ time training. I agree with the loyalty thing, but I'm thinking my school may be more gracie academy style than I gave it credit. I just don't like the feeling that I might be left behind while the sport evolves.

Different schools excel at teaching different things. I recently switched schools myself because I wanted to focus more on competition/ sport Jiu Jitsu and my instructor was more focused on MMA. I explained to him and was honest and straightforward about what I wanted to do and I left on good terms. There's nothing wrong with choosing your own path for your own Jiu Jitsu.

We have asked in class about certain positions, and the answer we get is the sport vs defensive jiu-jitsu talk. It has been explained that we don't train those positions because they are not necessary; the core original jiu jitsu can defeat these new positions that are just the latest trend. I never thought too much about it until I rolled with some students at other schools and I was shocked at their skill level compared to their rank/ time training. I agree with the loyalty thing, but I'm thinking my school may be more gracie academy style than I gave it credit. I just don't like the feeling that I might be left behind while the sport evolves.

Do you guys compete? how do you as a team do in competition?

It sounds like he isn't offering what you're looking for. Sounds like all you need to do is give him the sport vs defensive talk to explain why you're leaving. I've seen this happen where a really traditional close minded instructor feels this way, and even if you tried to remain on the team and just do a few private lessons on the side you would likely be kicked out. Which sucks. In this case maybe ending it now is the best thing for all involved if he is really that close minded to new jiu-jitsu and unwilling to meet your needs as a student and competitor.

Do you guys compete? how do you as a team do in competition?

Well we only had three guys that regularly competed. Two left to train with Braga. I don't think they did particularly well before they left, although I don't remember the specifics.

If your goal is to compete and feel your first school takedowns is lack luster, go with school 2. A bjj teacher who also happens to be a Judo black belt should be sold on that alone.

Personally I would love to have stand up grappling in my game to be a complete grappler, if I were you, I'd take advantage of this opportunity.

Back