sweeps against bigger guys with a good base

A

alexgncw

from guard what sweeps does everyone think work best against bigger guys who have a solid base

Any sweep. Just get good at one. Drill drill drill.

I like to use arm drags against big guys..not a sweep exactly but close :)

as far as actual sweeps proabably the hip heist.

i get the pendulum on the biggest of guys.. got one who weighed 280 the other day.. like rolling a giant hoho

I he is basing with posture and not really doing anything else.. i use the Ribeiro's sweep. Saulo and Xande use it all the time in tournaments and its easy.... sorry dont know where to find a link to it.

But its like Aesopian said.. Its just what your good at.. Find set ups to bait them into the sweep.. Drill drill drill. Find the ones you like or have a natural nack for.. and train

Gsoares2 said:
i get the pendulum on the biggest of guys.. got one who weighed 280 the other day.. like rolling a giant hoho

I he is basing with posture and not really doing anything else.. i use the Ribeiro's sweep. Saulo and Xande use it all the time in tournaments and its easy.... sorry dont know where to find a link to it.

Can you explain more what these sweeps are? What's the pendulum? And is the Ribeiro sweep you are talking about the one where on (a) one side you whip your leg up and over the back of the arm, almost like you're doing an omoplata, along with grabbing the foot; while (b) on the other side you block by grabbing the sleeve and sweeping at the foot with your leg?

I think Bravo said it but it is a wonderfull point that is easy forgotten. The main thing about the sweeps is to remember you have to have your opponent off balance. It is essential to take away his balance, then sweep.

I find bigger guys are unsweepable if they are sitting in base -- you can only sweep them if they stand up, or you knock them forward first. Whatever sweep you do, you have to take them out of base to do it.

Try to take the back and you'll put them off balance for sweeps as they defend. Or you'll just take the back.

Any sweep should work, if it is used in the right situation and executed properly.

Me being a big guy I can tell you what has worked on me. You must have movemnt for the sweep to work well. I like to call it sweeping in transition.

Against ant guy with a good base... Really hard.
I have to get them off balance to make sweeps work. I'm a small guy and can prevent bigger guys sweeping me.
So the key for sweeps is to get them off balance somehow.

Half guard, x-guard, maybe some butterfly guards techniques will work. Forget about the hip bump.

Zankou said:
Can you explain more what these sweeps are? What's the pendulum? And is the Ribeiro sweep you are talking about the one where on (a) one side you whip your leg up and over the back of the arm, almost like you're doing an omoplata, along with grabbing the foot; while (b) on the other side you block by grabbing the sleeve and sweeping at the foot with your leg?
Pendulum i use if they defend the saulo sweep. And yes that is the sweep im talking about.

Pendulum i would keep the same grip on the sleeve. Then release the grip on the leg. That hand goes under my opponents crotch/leg and i grab the top of the thigh. I open my legs wide and the leg that was going to do the saulo sweep now moves higher into the pit as i rotate my hips. I bring his weight on to me and then swee him toward my opposing shoulder... Then go to technical mount or just armlock from there.
It is the sweep a am the best at and can get almost anyone with a couple of bait and switch's..

I like it because there are so many options.. Arm lock to pendulum, Pendulum to armlock, if they stand i switch to omoplata, if they grab the head and flattent me out and i just go back to guard.

Its very hard to describe but ill try to find some pictures.. i just googled it and couldnt find anything like it.

no sicssor sweeps they dont work well against the big guys(from personal experience) . id say some foot in bicep sweeps work as well as the pendulum sweep

Gsoares2 or Zankou,

Could either of you guys breakdown "the Saulo Ribeiro" sweep you both mentioned? I've used one of his guard passes a lot--it's the only way I'll pass on the ground. I think I follow what Zankou wrote, but I get a little lost in the second half of the sweep (after the "omoplata-like" part).

I've gotten some nice sweeps using that "omoplata-like" move when the guy stands in my guard. The "Saulo Ribeiro" sweep sounds like one that might work for me also ...

Thanks.

The first thing that came into my head when I saw the title was, "they have to be off balance for a sweep to work". Then I got to thinking...if you are in say open guard, grab their arm and pull it to you as you kick their knee out from under them (assume they are on their knees, or that would hurt) and they will fall.

wOg said:
Gsoares2 or Zankou,

Could either of you guys breakdown "the Saulo Ribeiro" sweep you both mentioned? I've used one of his guard passes a lot--it's the only way I'll pass on the ground. I think I follow what Zankou wrote, but I get a little lost in the second half of the sweep (after the "omoplata-like" part).

I've gotten some nice sweeps using that "omoplata-like" move when the guy stands in my guard. The "Saulo Ribeiro" sweep sounds like one that might work for me also ...

Thanks.

It's basically like an omoplata, except that you keep hold of the far arm by the sleeve (to keep him from posting) and kick off the far leg/knee (to make it kind of like a scissor sweep). So you are flipping him over on his back, rather than whipping him forward into the omoplata finish.

I find that a sweep from the butterfly guard works best against larger opponenets. The best way to sweep someone is tto get them off balance by going for another technique as a diversion. No scissors or sit up sweeps against a large person.

The cross over sweep works best for me, along with a low spider sweep.

Back