Sweat Pea in his prime could have played with Floyd like a toy.

The entire outcome of the fight would be determined by what the judges decided they liked on that particular night. No one gets knocked out or even hurt. No one gets schooled or humiliated. Fans of whoever lost would just cry robbery.

Remember Floyd sparred Whitaker consistently when he was in his teens. Even lived with the guy. By the time both were pros, I think Floyd has no problem with Sweet Pea. Too much accuracy while Pernell does his dances while getring tagged. Sweet Pea is overrated...

There are a select few who may beat Floyd but no one does it easily.

Remember Floyd sparred Whitaker consistently when he was in his teens. Even lived with the guy. By the time both were pros, I think Floyd has no problem with Sweet Pea. Too much accuracy while Pernell does his dances while getring tagged. Sweet Pea is overrated...
They were on Olympic teams 12 years apart. What do you mean by the time both were pros? I found this link. Is it possible you're confusing Randall and Whitaker? https://www.yahoo.com/news/naturall...ets-it-done-with-hard-work--perseverance.html

That ridiculous point deduction cost Pernell against Oscar but it was close.

I honestly would pick that version of him to beat Floyd too. No way it would be easy though

I'd give the non gambling/non drunk Winky who fought Shane a shot against him too

Isn't that exclusively according to Floyd, though? Has anyone ever corroborated Floyd making easy work of Pernell in sparring when he was a 126 pound amateur and Pernell was p4p #1, a WW, and just coming off beating a world class JMW?

Both great defensive fighters, but at 135 Floyd had more power and was better offensively. That's the difference... Floyd UD.

Floyd has the better offence and I think he'd win a close fight by outlanding Pernell especially with his jab upstairs and body jabs.

Floyd has the better offence and I think he'd win a close fight by outlanding Pernell especially with his jab upstairs and body jabs.
Floyds body jabs are one of my favorite punches in boxing. Its so disruptive to his opponents.

During Pea's prime, the one thing he mightve been better than Floyd at was his defensive reflexes, but that's only a maybe. Pea was hard to hit, but Floyd is too and Floyd's defense takes away the opponent's strengths. Pea didn't do that, he overwhelmed opponents with what they couldn't keep up with, but Floyd makes them fight different than theyve fought their whole career the night they meet him, and unlike Pernell, his longevity proves his defense is better. It's not like Floyd never slowed down, but you give him Pernell's decline physically, and I say Floyd's defense still gets him further without a legit L.

The more I thought about this hypothetical matchup over the years, the more Ive been inclined to believe Floyd did handle the seasoned Pernell comfortably. I think it's a bad match for Pernell.

They were on Olympic teams 12 years apart. What do you mean by the time both were pros? I found this link. Is it possible you're confusing Randall and Whitaker? https://www.yahoo.com/news/naturall...ets-it-done-with-hard-work--perseverance.html
Oh yeah, maybe thats what Im referring to with the "living with" situation. But i also remember seeing an interview with Floyd talking about the times he would spar Pernell when Pernell would be around whomevers camp Floyd was travelling with, (most likely Randall's camp). And how he learned tricks early on by sparrring Whitaker in his teens and knew now as a seasoned pro he would've handled Whitaker. Kind of on the move right now can't look it up and post it. I'll try to find it later.

Isn't that exclusively according to Floyd, though? Has anyone ever corroborated Floyd making easy work of Pernell in sparring when he was a 126 pound amateur and Pernell was p4p #1, a WW, and just coming off beating a world class JMW?
Thats a really good question! Glad you remember the interview I was referring to.

I'm a huge Sweet Pea fan. He was my first favorite non HW fighter when I was a kid. But honestly when you look at their peak, prime vs prime, I think Floyd was a more complete fighter. That's just my opinion. Floyd has really good offense, still to this day, and especially in his prime.. lots of people just forget that because he hasn't won by KO in a long time. I think Floyd would win by UD.

I dislike Floyd but there isn't a fighter in history at his weight class that toys with him. I do think he'd have the most difficulty with Hearns though and that might get a little uncomfortable for him.

No body would Toy with Floyd , I don't see it they might beat him but toying no...

Floyds body jabs are one of my favorite punches in boxing. Its so disruptive to his opponents.
Yeah it really does mess with them, I'm surprised more fighters don't do it, very underrated technique.

Whitaker was past his prime by then. I thought the only way Oscar could have been given the decision is by counting his workrate without taking effectiveness into account.
True. Most of the time, u needed slow mo to see that Oscar´s punches were not landing.

if i could pick a fight of all time to watch, it would be this one

i have a feeling that Pernell would have been too slick at the lower weights, at the higher weights, Mayweather just learnt how to pinch rounds so effectively and Whittaker was hesitant to get involved at times.

I dont actually care who would have won, it is just a dream fight!!!

Back