Sutemi waza/sacrifice takedowns - videos inside

Shemhazai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being an open guard whore and pretty inept at the standing game, I find myself gravitating towards this style of takedowns whenever I get bored of guard pulling, as the sweep-like nature of these moves seems to 'click' more with my guard-oriented brain. For shits and giggles (and a lack of anything better to do at this very moment) I thought it would be cool to make a thread with videos and technique discussion on the various forms of cool sacrifice throws/trips used in judo, sambo, BJJ, wrestling and whatever other grappling style in which they are found. Hopefully I'm not the only one who finds these types of takedowns to be not only efficient and gentle, but totally awesome:

YouTube - Sumi Gaeshi

YouTube - Tani Otoshi

YouTube - Sumi Gaeshi countered (Yoko) Sutemi waza

YouTube - Lateral Trip - Reilly Bodycomb: Sambo Camp Brussels, Belgium 2010

YouTube - Armdrag single

YouTube - Uki waza Yoko otoshi Tani otoshi Yoko wakare Yoko gake Daki wakare

Those type throws are awesome. We have two BJJ purple belts that regularly attend Judo class. The smaller one has a lot of success with sumi gaeshi, and is so good at rolling with you and taking top position.

Great thread man. I really prefer these type of take downs as well and am starting to get into them. Good stuff.

There are few throws better suited to the typical BJJ standup game than Sumi Gaeshi. Works best against and bent-over opponent, doesn't take a huge amount of skill, puts you right into mount if it works and is a guard pull if it doesnt

More from my favorite Judoka

Kashiwazaki, modern master of Judo Ne Waza and Sutemi Waza
He's one of the best EVER with Tomoe Nage, and there's a lot of good stuff spread throughout this vid. Most of it is in the 2nd half or so if you're impatient and don't want to see the great stuff at the beginning...

Last edited:
Why taking the time to learn those throws when you can butt flopp or pull guard !!??!!

butt flopp and pulling guard are so technical!!! :icon_twis

Sacrifice throws are amazing against stiff arm newbs and bjj crouched stance, it has much better transition into BJJ than other throws and failure lets you pull guard. Of course if your opponent is also a good judoka and cartwheels of a tomoe, well you are done.

Being an open guard whore and pretty inept at the standing game, I find myself gravitating towards this style of takedowns whenever I get bored of guard pulling, as the sweep-like nature of these moves seems to 'click' more with my guard-oriented brain. For shits and giggles (and a lack of anything better to do at this very moment) I thought it would be cool to make a thread with videos and technique discussion on the various forms of cool sacrifice throws/trips used in judo, sambo, BJJ, wrestling and whatever other grappling style in which they are found. Hopefully I'm not the only one who finds these types of takedowns to be not only efficient and gentle, but totally awesome:

YouTube - Sumi Gaeshi

YouTube - Tani Otoshi

YouTube - Sumi Gaeshi countered (Yoko) Sutemi waza

YouTube - Lateral Trip - Reilly Bodycomb: Sambo Camp Brussels, Belgium 2010

YouTube - Armdrag single

YouTube - Uki waza Yoko otoshi Tani otoshi Yoko wakare Yoko gake Daki wakare

You forgot Hikikomi Gaeshi ...

...and Tawara Gaeshi

YouTube - Tomo nage Ura nage Sumi gaeshi Hikkomi gaeshi Tawara gaeshi

I used a sacrifice throw in my first tourny. it's probably on page 2 if you want to take a look. I feel more comfortable with them then other takedowns.

Sacrifice throws can be good. However, bear in mind the key word is "sacrifice". If you are comfortable in the position you may end up in if the throw fails, then OK.

And bear in mind different rules apply in judo regarding sacrifice throws - for example you can't use a sacrifice throw to counter a single/double leg (for example sumi/hikikomi gaeshi) UNLESS you show the shoot had it's momentum stopped (otherwise they just assume you were thrown on your back = ippon to the other guy).

Sacrifice throws can be good. However, bear in mind the key word is "sacrifice". If you are comfortable in the position you may end up in if the throw fails, then OK.

Due to BJJ's Focus on the Guard, the "worst case" end position isn't too bad. Hence why its my goto throw for Judo competition.

And bear in mind different rules apply in judo regarding sacrifice throws - for example you can't use a sacrifice throw to counter a single/double leg (for example sumi/hikikomi gaeshi) UNLESS you show the shoot had it's momentum stopped (otherwise they just assume you were thrown on your back = ippon to the other guy).

That isn't an issue anymore. The IJF made grabbing for the legs illegal. You won't really need to worry about defending the single/double leg in Judo. However, it is my goto single leg counter during BJJ.

Yoko Otoshi & Uki Waza are grossly underrated. I always forget how powerful they are until we practice them again. Done right, you hit the ground hard with very little wanring and a skilled opponent can easily use that time to roll right over into mount or whatever.

There are few throws better suited to the typical BJJ standup game than Sumi Gaeshi. Works best against and bent-over opponent, doesn't take a huge amount of skill, puts you right into mount if it works and is a guard pull if it doesnt

More from my favorite Judoka

Kashiwazaki, modern master of Judo Ne Waza and Sutemi Waza
He's one of the best EVER with Tomoe Nage, and there's a lot of good stuff spread throughout this vid. Most of it is in the 2nd half or so if you're impatient and don't want to see the great stuff at the beginning...

Freakin' awesome vids man, thanks for posting. I love tomoe-nage and have been working on that in randori as much as possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back