super duper foods

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Vilo Magee, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Vilo Magee

Vilo Magee Brown Belt Professional Fighter

Broccoli

Contains vitamins C, A, Beta Carotene and Fiber.

Carrots

2 carrots every other day provide enough beta carotene to reduce stroke risk by half for men who already have symptoms of heart disease

Chili Peppers

The heat source in chilis, capsaicin, is an antioxidant. Contains blood thinning properties to prevent strokes, lowers cholesterol, protects DNA against carcinogens, may stimulate release of endorphins ("natural high" chemicals)

Spinach

Contains vitamins A and C, folic acid and magnesium which help control cancer, reduces heart disease and stroke risk, blocks free radicals and may help prevent osteoporosis.

Mushrooms

Contain beta-glucan, which stimulates immune system. Shitake, enoki, zhuling and reishi all have anti-cancer and antiviral effects

Tomatoes

Contain lycopenes - an antioxidant more potent than vitamin C. Stimulates immune function and may slow degenerative diseases

Strawberries

Contains ellagic acid, which contains anti-cancer properties

Papaya, Pineapple & Kiwi

High amounts of enzymes that help combat everything from autoimmune diseases, allergies, and cancer to AIDS

Mangoes

Contains bioflavonoids that aid the immune system

Citrus Fruits

Contains vitamin C which helps your body fight cancers (lung, cervical, esophagus & stomach). Rich in bioflavonoids.

Apricots

Fresh apricots are high in beta-carotene. Also contains vitamin C and fiber.

Bananas

Rich in magnesium (helps protect circulatory system), potassium and slowly-absorbed sugars. Good source of pectin (a soluble fiber). Prevents radical swings in blood sugar

Garlic

May lower cholesterol and blood pressure. May contain chemicals capable of destroying cancer cells

Green Tea

Green tea contains polyphenols, which may reduce heart disease, cancer and stroke risk

Beans

High in protein and complex carbohydrates. Contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. Contains phytochemicals and protease inhibitors that may help prevent cancer

Soybeans & Tofu

Lowers "bad" LDL cholesterol levels in bloodstream which reduces heart disease risk. Studies have shown that people who regularly eat soy products have reduced risk or lower rates of prostate, colon, lung, rectal and stomach cancers.

Salmon

Contains omega-3 oils to fight heart disease. Contains calcium, magnesium, protein and B-vitamins.

Oats

Oat bran lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. May reduce risk of colon cancer. Oatmeal contains both soluble and insoluble fiber.

2. fat_wilhelm

fat_wilhelm Black Belt

Nice list. Don't forget cranberries and blueberries, though.

3. supersudo

supersudo Purple Belt

4. Lazy-Eye

Lazy-Eye White Belt

This nice little website displays a list of the most nutritional foods along with a bar chart rating them on our % RDA. There are also some good recipes on there but dont bother taking their "Food Advisor" test, I know I eat very well and they still insist I'm only getting 29% of my vitamins per week.

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

5. icedog11

icedog11 Banned Banned

Here is one most of you may not have heard of avalible in pasta form at natural groceries

Quinoa
    Nutritionally, quinoa might be considered a supergrain--although it is not really a grain, but the seed of a leafy plant that's distantly related to spinach. Quinoa has excellent reserves of protein, and unlike other grains, is not missing the amino aicd lysine, so the protein is more complete (a trait it shares with other "non-true" grains such as buckwheat and amaranth). The World Health Organization has rated the quality of protein in quinoa at least equivalent to that in milk. Quinoa offers more iron than other grains and contains high levels of potassium and riboflavin, as well as other B vitamins: B6, niacin, and thiamin. It is also a good source of magnesium, zinc, copper, and manganese, and has some folate (folic acid).

6. fat_wilhelm

fat_wilhelm Black Belt

Very interesting, Icedog. What do you do w/ it cooking-wise? I've heard of it, but I don't think I've eaten it, unless I did so w/o knowing.

7. icedog11

icedog11 Banned Banned

Tastes tons better than whole wheat pasta. I get it in angel hair pasta form and usually eat it with shrimp and tomato sauce over it. I hate whole wheat pasta leaves a bad taste in my mouth.It can be bought in raw form and used to replace any other grain in breads pasta ect.

8. fat_wilhelm

fat_wilhelm Black Belt

Thanks. So it's formed into pasta and other various treats. I think I may stop at the little organic grocery on my way home and try to find some.

9. Jaxx

Jaxx Green Belt

Not really a food per say but the humble aspirin has many health benefits.

Some doctors recommend that people over 50 should take a little everyday.

However due to the blood thinning qualities of aspirin it should not be taken if one is healing wounds.

10. icedog11

icedog11 Banned Banned

You can usually find it as a pasta. It is pronounced Keen-wa

11. Goth_Judoka

Goth_Judoka A rainbow in the dark!

Corned Beef Hash for people on Carnal's plan!!