Super Blood Wolf Moon tonight

90 50

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Anyone staying up to view it? Or take pics?

I’m thinking about dusting off the old camera gear and seeing what I can do.

I’ll report back tonight how it went down and post some pics. If you take some put them here too or discuss your viewing experience.

Info here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bgr.co...-2019-how-to-watch-super-blood-wolf-moon/amp/

Some decent tips on moon photography here

And another, more focus on tonight’s moon type

Disclaimer, I just watched that moon photog video, definitely for beginner photogs, which should be great for here, my set-up will be much more advanced. There are more advanced moon photography tutorials out there if you so desire.

So good luck if you are attempting this as well , hopefully I remeber how to use my camera and can get something post worthy.

At the very least there will be some LOLZ at my failing to remeber how to use my camera hahah

I will be attempting to use my Nikon D3, and Afs 80-400 Vr II and possibly my 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4 x on a D200(if I can find the batteries for that old POS haha)

Also, I specifically DID NOT put this in Pics&Multi , I almost did but lookingover that sub forum I DO NOT WANT this there, mixed in with the type of threads it has.

I got some nice footage of the last full moon, I went on my balcony just now to look at the moon and is overcast....

Sounds like a Japanese gameshow where people try and crossbreed with dogs dressed up like wolves.

not seeing shit yet because it's cloudy. fuck

I was looking forward to this but we're still getting the tail end of a snowstorm, so no sky visibility tonight.

It is beginning.

Just took a step outside to the porch. Pretty darn clear out here in W. Michigan. Its 2 out so...

ETA: almost 80% eclipsed as of 23:17eastern.

Last edited:
Anyone staying up to view it? Or take pics?

I’m thinking about dusting off the old camera gear and seeing what I can do.

I’ll report back tonight how it went down and post some pics. If you take some put them here too or discuss your viewing experience.

Info here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bgr.co...-2019-how-to-watch-super-blood-wolf-moon/amp/

Some decent tips on moon photography here

And another, more focus on tonight’s moon type

Disclaimer, I just watched that moon photog video, definitely for beginner photogs, which should be great for here, my set-up will be much more advanced. There are more advanced moon photography tutorials out there if you so desire.

So good luck if you are attempting this as well , hopefully I remeber how to use my camera and can get something post worthy.

At the very least there will be some LOLZ at my failing to remeber how to use my camera hahah

I will be attempting to use my Nikon D3, and Afs 80-400 Vr II and possibly my 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4 x on a D200(if I can find the batteries for that old POS haha)

Also, I specifically DID NOT put this in Pics&Multi , I almost did but lookingover that sub forum I DO NOT WANT this there, mixed in with the type of threads it has.

You are bigoted about the hot girls threads in the multi media thread?
How dare you

Isnt this rare moon thing annual?

Next year there will be an ultra creamy viscous moon.

Just saw it in Vegas. Crazy looking. I can see why ancient people thought it was a bad omen

Clouded over here so packed the camera gear away

Sky was pretty clear here so I got a good view, looked really cool. Had kind of a 3D effect.

I got a really good close up picture tonight
pi2I9j4.jpg

SO Glad I made this thread....

So, it is often said if you don't do something often you will fail. And fail I did, so enjoy and laugh at my feeble attempt at photographing the moon tonight.
At least maybe you can get a laugh out of this.

So first thing is first, yeah i go to get ,y gear ready and see this...

So apparently my 400mm lens had gotten kicked out of my truck by the dog some time ago, and no one mentioned it to me previously, so take the lens cap off to clean it and see this....

it appears to just be the filter damaged, i spent about 30mins trying to get the broken filter off with no luck and just turning the focus ring it sounds BAD. I'll drop it off at the local camera center here in the next week or so... Damn it man..

Now, the hits just keep on coming. So in all of my past Moon photography i had always been shooting the moon at a different angle in the sky than tonight which was basically straight up high noon in my sky.

I could not get under the tripod with the camera straight up and down and get it focused, so no tripod shots, and the blood moon was really too dark for hand held. SO this was my only blood moon shot, and i got one decent full moon shot.

but without my 400, and with big crops on a short lens so you can see them at all, they look a little soft..

Sorry.

Anyway, practice makes perfect, and this is what i get for not shooting in forever and thinking i could just dust my junk off an d make good shots..

Some camera pics in there too, and yea I know my camera and lenses are pretty beat up, i used to actually use them LOL..

Red Moon

Full Moon1

my d3 and go pro(made a timelaspe with the gopro, need to edit it though and cant remember how to do that in shotcut arg.. time to go watch a tutorial to jog my memory..)

D3gopromoon

my d3300 and 70-200vr during tripod shot attempt(notice its straight up and down almost, i could see to manually focus..)

3300200vr

70-200vrmoon

Caught it tonight despite the below zero temperature. Didn't get a picture this year but got a good one a few years ago. A tripod is probably your best friend, it took like a minute for my camera to gather in light, at least.

MBICew0.jpg

Growing up, local astronomy didn't much interest me, the planets and moons. I've seen solar eclipses, kinda cool, but meh. Same with lunar.
I liked them only because they cut down on the amount of light that fucks up deep sky observing.

Back