SUMO - 2024 Hatsu Basho (Jan 14th - Jan 28th)

It's a good sign that Teru did so well against both Daieisho and Onosho, styles that he usually has trouble against, he was actually 4-4 vs onosho before last night.

I am really loving this tournament, the guys that are supposed to be doing well are doing well, Asanoyama getting hurt sucked as he looked more confident that he had in a long time but there's good enough going on in the tourney to make up for it.

Kotonowaka is looking like a man in a mission, dude wants to spoil the mongolian threesome (sounds weird) going on at the top and he is looking like he might just do it. This guy needs to become ozeki.

Yeah there have been slips by the top three but they all have had the same amount and they seem to have it together now, I honestly do not know who is going to win this, Terunofuji, if I had to quantify it I'd say he isn't fighting at Yoko level, rather at a very good Ozeki level, who knows if we'll ever get the Yokozuna, indominable 14-0 only losing vs Hakuho level he used to have. Probably not as he is soon to retire. What's fun in this tourney is the other two ozeki are fighting at about the highest level they've ever fought and I think the three of them are on equal ground.

Then there's Koto, he might very well be fighting at Ozeki level in this tournament. I do not care who wins, every storyline would be fun.

Kiri gets yokozuna, would be awesome.
Hoshoryu beats his rival, blocks him from being yokozuna and goes on a run himself, allowing Kirishima to stop him from doing it next tournament, awesome as well.
Teru wins one more tournament, that's always great, especially if he retires after.
Kotonowaka spoils it for everyone on his way to becoming ozeki.

Good stuff!

I'm a day behind on the action but are there actually 7 kyujos? I only counted 6. Of course 5 of them are rekishi I'm a fan of:

Aoiyama, Hokuseiho, Takayasu, Takakeisho and Asanoyama

Plus Hokutofuji

Who am I missing?

I feel like Aoiyama should probably consider retirement at this point. He has no power at this point and a blown up ACL will be hard to come back from at his age. He'd be in makushita by the time it healed if not lower.

Asanoyama's ankle must really be messed up if he withdrew while tied for the lead in the yusho race.

I'm a day behind on the action but are there actually 7 kyujos? I only counted 6. Of course 5 of them are rekishi I'm a fan of:

Plus Hokutofuji

Who am I missing?

I feel like Aoiyama should probably consider retirement at this point. He has no power at this point and a blown up ACL will be hard to come back from at his age. He'd be in makushita by the time it healed if not lower.

Asanoyama's ankle must really be messed up if he withdrew while tied for the lead in the yusho race.
Takayasu was kyujo twice

Plus Hokutofuji

Who am I missing?

Takayasu twice... didn't edit my post or anything.

We have 3 people currently on a huge run in their Sumo careers, obviously Kirishima, Hoshoryu and Kotonowaka
All 3 of them have a combined total of zero wins over Terunofuji (I think Krishima has like 10 losses to Teru)
Kirishima also has a losing record against Tobizaru I believe it's now 9 - 11 for Tobi
Kotonowaka is looking strong but had a year of just barely at Komusubi and got through with an 11- 4 then followed it up with a 9 - 6
Hoshoryu has flashes of brilliance but also fumbles like he did with Gonoyama and then the very next day. He has a habit of putting himself in bad situations a lot but looked sharp today against Onosato who he gave no time to breathe before ending him

Friends, is this Yokozuna sumo?

We have 3 people currently on a huge run in their Sumo careers, obviously Kirishima, Hoshoryu and Kotonowaka
All 3 of them have a combined total of zero wins over Terunofuji (I think Krishima has like 10 losses to Teru)
Kirishima also has a losing record against Tobizaru I believe it's now 9 - 11 for Tobi
Kotonowaka is looking strong but had a year of just barely at Komusubi and got through with an 11- 4 then followed it up with a 9 - 6
Hoshoryu has flashes of brilliance but also fumbles like he did with Gonoyama and then the very next day. He has a habit of putting himself in bad situations a lot but looked sharp today against Onosato who he gave no time to breathe before ending him

I've been watching a lot of Chiyonofuji matches recently, so my perspective is slightly skewed, but no, this is not Yokozuna sumo.

I've been watching a lot of Chiyonofuji matches recently, so my perspective is slightly skewed, but no, this is not Yokozuna sumo.
I assume you've seen that video that has his 53 wins in a row?

Absolute unit Sumo is great but makes everyone look bad.

it's not.
I've been thinking about it as well. Having flashes of brilliance 5 times a tournament, then stumbling on your own feet or being easily thrown out by a lower ranked opponent should never happen to a yokozuna. if the question - is anyone in makuuchi now worthy of being yokozuna, the answer is sadly no.
compare any of them to Terunofuji who, even without knees is an absolute monster.
hoshoryu sadly i can still see stumbling into a 8-7 tournament as ozeki.
i see none of the ozeki being able to consistently go 14-1, nevermind a 15-0, things a yokozuna can and should do.

Takerufuji already learning from his two avoidable losses, goes at a slower pace and beats the lawnmower.

Discount Abi gets scammed because of the stupid dead rule.

Gonoyama tries playing tricky sumo with Ura and fails epicly.

Onosho watches Gonoyama's flop from ringside and does one better.

Hoshoryu really is rolling now.

Can't fault Onosato there. Tried to overpower and catch Terunofuji cold but got thrown.

Wakatakaheadingbacktojuryokage gets the Makushita Yusho with ease. Hakuoho finishes 6-1 so he should be joining Waka in Juryo in March.

Takerufuji 11-2 now, two wins ahead of the pack with two days to go.

Kotonowaka hit a wall today. Looked like anonymoussumowrestler45 in there with Terunofuji.
Just a glimpse into what it takes to be a yokozuna.

Onosato is such a beast.

Beautiful throw by Asanoyama in his return to secure the eight wins.

Kinbozan deserves that loss. One of the worst henka attempts in recent memory.

Not entirely sure what just happened with Ura and Tobizaru's match, but Ura won and the K1 Tobizaru lost, so that's all that matters.

Incredibly disappointing basho by Daieisho. He's gonna have to start from scratch.

Awesome trip by Kirishima to beat Hoshoryu, but he's got to face both Kotonowaka and Terunofuji in the last two days right?

Terunofuji showing levels yet again.

So i just looked and tomorrow it's
  • Kirishima vs Kotonowaka
  • Terunofuji vs Hoshoryu
Match one is lose and you're screwed right?

• Terunofuji vs Hoshoryu
Kirishima gotta win tomorrow and Sunday

I don't think he gets Yokozuna off a 12 - 3 that's not Terunofuji's 14 - 1

Kirishima gotta win tomorrow and Sunday

I don't think he gets Yokozuna off a 12 - 3 that's not Terunofuji's 14 - 1

But what about Kotonowaka? Doesn't he need two wins too to make Ozeki?

• Terunofuji vs Hoshoryu
it's basically between these 4, and makes sense, the yokozuna, two ozeki and the most likely future ozeki.

Not entirely sure what just happened with Ura and Tobizaru's match, but Ura won and the K1 Tobizaru lost, so that's all that matters.
Tobizaru clearly stepped out while Ura was still airborne.

Not totally sure because they seem to change the rules when it suits them but I get the sense being airborne only counts against you when your entire body is over the tawada. Isn't that what happened to Ichiyamamoto a couple days ago?

Tobizaru clearly stepped out while Ura was still airborne.

Not totally sure because they seem to change the rules when it suits them but I get the sense being airborne only counts against you when your entire body is over the tawada. Isn't that what happened to Ichiyamamoto a couple days ago?

I'd have to go back and watch it. I still remember Tochinoshin losing to Asanoyama in 2019(?) where he was ruled as having stepped out when he never did. Seems like some times they twist the facts to follow their opinions, rather than the other way around.

It is what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luminous Knight
Back