SUMO - 2022 Aki Basho (Sept. 11th - 25th)

Fork

Sumo
@Gold
Reaction score
t39kBzE.png

Another sumo tournament has snuck up on me! I wasn't prepared for this one and will be busy tomorrow so this thread might be a quick one. We're coming off of a championship win for the giant baby, Ichinojo, and a surprisingly good performance from some Ozeki, and again a struggling performance from the Yokozuna. What will we see in September (hopefully fewer COVID withdrawals)?

2wxWjDk.png

Debuting Wrestlers: We'll have two guys making their debuts in the top division. All the way at the bottom will be Hiradoumi who made it through the Juryo ranks pretty quickly. Joining him is Mongolian Mitoryu who conversely had been stuck in Juryo since 2018 and is the first top division wrestler from his stable since 2002.

Maegashira: He might not be meeting the very high expectations set for him, but Oho got his first top division winning record in July and has moved up a couple ranks. Hopefully that gave him some confidence and he'll be able to do the same here. Former upper Maegashira man Ryuden is finally back in the top division and it'll be great to see how he does. He sat out for a while due to a suspension and the top division is definitely where he belongs. Wakamotoharu struggled a bit at a career high of M4 last time, and should be able to do quite well this time. 10 or more wins? And at the top of the division are two fan favorites with under-shoulder-swing-down katasukashi master Midorifuji and flying monkey Tobizaru. It'll be a really tough tournament for both of them, but hopefully we get to see some fun matches from them.

Sanyaku: We've got a bit of a traffic jam here with six men in the Sanyaku ranks. The Komosubi ranks look pretty strong with Kiribayama, yusho winner Ichinojo, and Abi. These men will play a big role in the yusho race, and all can get some big wins.

At Sekiwake we've got three men again, with Daieisho dropping a bit but hanging on to his Sekiwake rank, and two of the smaller but incredibly dangerous wrestlers in quick Hoshoryu and powerful Wakatakakage. It's a great step up for Hoshoryu and his rise up the ranks has been nice and slow and this tournament will be very interesting for him.

Ozeki: The July tournament was a bit of a step in the right direction for the Ozeki. Mitakeumi had been kadoban in July and had to sit out because of COVID. That might have been for the best as he was struggling early on, and while his withdrawl won't lose him his rank, he'll be kadoban again this time so will have to turn up. The other Ozeki performed quite well, with Shodai doing surprisingly well after a typically terrible first week. And Takakeisho was one of the yusho runners up, ending with 11-4. Hopefully Shodai can stay focused in the first week, Mitakeumi can do the same and stick around, and Takakeisho can challenge for the yusho again.

Yokozuna: The top dog Terunofuji started off well, but fell apart a bit at the end of the July tournament. We're a long way from his aura of invincibility, but he's still a monster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you go!

Viewing options: As always there's Kintamayama for top division highlights and NattoSumo for stat-heavy highlights of the top three divisions. And for commentary and analysis throughout the tournament there's Chris Sumo.

And it's always great to have new people join the fun and start following the sport, but it's definitely not the easiest sport to understand when you first start watching. If you're new, feel free to head over to the Introduction to SUMO thread to get a basic (although definitely outdated) introduction to the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

9Mmk1LK.png

(as usual I'll just @ everyone that has posted about sumo or posted in sumo threads, hopefully it works)

@EL CORINTHIAN @shincheckin @rmongler @JkMMA @PurpleStorm @Asurah @Sano @Okajima @RJ Green @winterbike @LC Shepard @Bluesbreaker @s_o_c_a_r @Slick_36 @Muppettoker @Oshime2 @DatCutman @catchwrestle @rodgerdodger @Sapp @Apollo33 @MoreKane @BoxingMMA @ChickenBrother @what-wut @Adjaar @TheRuthlessOne @elreece @Tone C @Nameless King @GSP_37 @Kaybee @Fluffernutter @Stormtrooper85 @Jin Akutsu @AZ103 @Sumomike @listrahtes @BananaManPoo @Emporio Alnino @pv3Hpv3p @Jose Beehive @Nova44 @Sticko @650lb Sumo @Fox by the Sea @Paolo Delutis @JacJeanFinger @Fork @Dadbod Dorado @moonwolf @MoreKane

hope to see Takakeisho continue his parry/sidestep/thrust combos.

hope to see Ura stay healthy lol.

and happy to see Takayasu back;
hopefully he used his covid sabbatical to clear his mind and erase the doubt that keeps him from taking the yusho.

Abi is kyujo for Aki basho. Ankle and elbow injury. That's a big player out and a general upsetter for Terunofuji.
Will things be easier for the Yokozuna?
I need 12 or better for Wakatakakage for Ozeki I Believe

thanks for the tag!
hoshoryu at sekiwake makes me happy

3 Komosubi and 3 Sekiwake? Well i didn't see that coming.

I'm curious to see if Kotonowaka can position himself for a promotion by the end of the basho, and i'm looking forward to seeing Kinbozan's first basho at Juryo.

Great start for Kinbozan and Atamifuji at the bottom and top of Juryo respectively.

I was kind of hoping Terutsuyoshi would continue the leg pick shenanigans from July, but that arm lock throw was awesome.

Wakamotoharu with some insane balance at the edge, reminiscent of Wakatakakage a few bashos ago. Must be a family trait.

A good start for Kotonowaka like i was hoping.

Ichinojo is so damn scary when he actually tries.

Kiribayama might be 0-9 against Teru but some of them have been extremely close.

I thought I'd already commented on day 1 but I guess I only run over my ideas in my head.

We start off from Day 1 in the era of warmed up Shodai. I hope this young man continues his winning ways
Mitakeumi is starting off strong, I hope he maintains consistency

Day 1 and a crushing defeat for Wakatakanevermakingozekiatthisratekage
Hokuseiho really just content to be gathered up like a nearly forgotten raincoat on a dreary Sunday and pushed out the door.
Keisho on the wrong end of a trying to be meaningful Ichinojo
Kiribayama with an A effort today he's so close to beating Teru but Teru is so clam in those situations, Kiribayama managed to escape the arm clamps but it wasn't enough, yet

hoshoryu looked solid today, especially against a guy like kotonowaka

After an incredibly disappointing July basho Kanzaki started off win a dominant win in Makushita today. Dude looks like a force to be reckoned with when he's focussed.

Musclezaki easily dispatches Miyagino beast Mukainakano, hopefully he can get back to his form from last year.

Are you serious? A highschool Yokozuna's first official match is against Asanoyama? Kawazoe put up a great fight at the edge but he got folded, thank god his knees could take that. Kawazoe was getting pushed off a cliff and refused to go, and yet yesterday Hokuseiho was politely asked to leave and just peaced out.

Oh Ura, you beautiful human you! Terutsuyoshi won't give me the shenanigans but i can always count on you.

Wakatakawherediditallgowrongkage...

How did Kiribayama win that one?

Teru loses to Tobizaru? Who the hell is writing the scripts for these matches?!

Thanks for the mention @Fork I haven't seen the second day yet so I'm skipping reading the last few posts to avoid spoilers but after Day 1 I am very pleased with what I saw, sure it would have been nice to see Waka win but he was going up against a tough one who also deserves his light in the sun and Keisho losing sucks but it was to the current champ... so far I am liking it. Im about to see the second ay.

wow, just catching up. i was a few minutes away from saying Kiribayama was the hero of day 1 and 2 but then Tobizaru had to go and have the performance of a lifetime against Terunofuji. still can't believe he won, i've always felt he's got a ton of action and fire and fury, but not that much power behind his attack. he did a really good job of getting Terunofuji moving back slowly but surely until he got the big push he needed and was able to take him out. really good job of avoiding giving up his belt too.

but yeah, Kiribayama had such a great match against Terunofuji on day 1, and then pulled a houdini against Shodai on day 2. no idea how he was able to stay in and win that one.

loved Tamawashi against Daieisho on day 2 too.

Wakatakakage has been struggling which sucks, but Wakamotoharu's utchari on day 1 was beautiful.

and Ichinojo looked great on day 1, lackluster on day 2. same old story, i'd really love him to be consistently competing at his best and if he did I think he'd be on his way to the top.

Hakuho's retirement ceremony scheduled for January 28th.

impressive stuff from Hoshoryu. controlled Ichinojo the entire match.
wakatakakage should be careful, cause he's not looking good.
ura doing a bullfighter routine basically, pretty awesome
teru didnt seem to have a hard time with kotonowaka, but still feels like he's not in great shape

good stuff so far

Really liking how Kanno.. i mean Tochimusashi is performing in his first basho in Juryo, one of my favourites from Makushita since i started watching sumo last year, pulling for a good first basho in the 2nd division for him.

I really feel bad for Tochimaru. On one hand he's got some of the fastest thrusts in all of sumo, but on the other hand every opponent just walks through them like they're nothing. Got to wonder if he could actually crack an egg with those strikes.

I thought Takarafuji had Wakamotoharu there but he turned it around at the last second.

Hoshoryu gets a nice trip on Ichinojo and sends him to the dirt. It won't make up for Ichinojo pancaking Hoshoryu but a win is a win.

I need 12 or better for Wakatakakage for Ozeki I Believe

<DCrying>

We go from absolute misery with Wakatakaitsallovernowkage, to pure genius and hilarity from Ura! Makes me laugh like a goof when he raises his arms after a good win ahaha.

No comment on Shodai - he's in the pre-warmup phase.

Terunofuji gets the win today but he looks very vulnerable and i don't think he gets the yusho in his current state.

Oh and customary - Tamawashi yusho!

Ura out here trying out for the Ginyu Force.

Did anyone tell Shodai he has to keep warming up? Can't just be the one time.

Hoshoryu looked so strong and confident against Ichinojo.

I don't want to curse him but here we go with Tommy Mawashi again

Back