• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SUMO - 2021 Nagoya Basho (July 4th - July 18th)

watching hakuho at work, you understand why he has 23342323 yushos.
it's just another level, even now, when he's old, tired and filled with injuries.

Imo in Hoshoryu we see the same dedication to skill development. His angling, constant shifting and body manipulations has quite some similarities. I think he can get to Yokozuna level and be a worthy one.

sounds like maybe an uchimuso, although that's using the outside of your hand against the inside of their thigh. Hakuho has this one against Kotoshogiku from 2014:

sotomuso would probably be against the outside thigh, but Hakuho doesn't have any wins with that.

YES that's it! It's exactly it, I was wrong on the hand position. Thanks a bunch!

it's just another level, even now, when he's old, tired and filled with injuries.

I'm a sucker for his squat at the tachiai. Most rikishis seem to merely get lower or bend down, but Hakuho loads his hips like a spring. It's so simple, but so masterful.

Poor Endo is having a rough time. Talented enough to hang with the top guys, but not enough to get the Ws.

Maybe I am unfair regarding Shodai but imo its very obvious that he is one of the few never gameplanning or adding new stuff to his arsenal. While a lot of rikishi prepare like that for their bouts to exploit a weakness we dont see that with Shodai. Its imo why being stronger and faster as anyone can also be a curse. You get used to bulldoze everyone.

I was shocked when they released Takakeishos cervical disc prolaps injury and then the injury protocol which stated he will be back in competition / full time training in 4 weeks:eek: I admire their toughness but the coaches / chairmen really destroy their rikishis health with these absurdedly small injury breaks.

i think a lot of people think the way you do, so it’s fair, shodai has earned it because he is inconsistentent as hell. I just wait for the moment when his BS funny sumo somehow pans out and maybe earns him another yusho. It’s just funny to me.

it's so true. even when Takanosho gets the better of him and has him in such a tough spot, Hakuho knows exactly where he is while basically running backwards and knows the perfect time to slap down Takanosho. also showing good agility and speed for someone coming off of knee surgery.

close thing for Terunofuji as well.

and Wakatakakage looked awesome against struggling Shodai and Hoshoryu is still looking really impressive.

I mean really, Shodai.
Hakuho continues to be impressive.

I am surprised that after 5 days only Hakuho and Terunofuji are undefeated. Too many people taking an early L

I mean really, Shodai.
Hakuho continues to be impressive.

I am surprised that after 5 days only Hakuho and Terunofuji are undefeated. Too many people taking an early L
Tamawashi and Takayasu were the only other undefeated rikishi and they both lost today

I was wondering if there was an appeal process for really close decisions, and today an initial decision got overturned and changed to win by isamiashi. That was interesting.

Tamawashi and Takayasu were the only other undefeated rikishi and they both lost today

I was wondering if there was an appeal process for really close decisions, and today an initial decision got overturned and changed to win by isamiashi. That was interesting.

Can we really say Takayasu was undefeated after missing 2 days?

Can we really say Takayasu was undefeated after missing 2 days?
He had absences not losses so yes?

But fair enough, Anaoyama is listed on the standings at 0-0-5 but he is missing the entire tournament.

I am also undefeated in sumo

He had absences not losses so yes?

But fair enough, Anaoyama is listed on the standings at 0-0-5 but he is missing the entire tournament.

I am also undefeated in sumo
It shows on the banzuke, it negatively impacts their movement in the next Basho.
Aioyama was saved from dropping to division 2 by making an appearance last Basho. It will impact Takayasu's chances to make Ozeki.

I mean, apart from Terunofuji, no one stands in his way.
i dunno, don't want to sound sour grapes, and old man yells at cloud, but seeying hakuho in there actually reminded me of asashoryu, that spunk and vitality and fast twitch aggression. outside of hakuho, all the other guys just seem mellow, sorta engaged, but no fire.

Murray Johnson was talking about it early in the broadcast when they showed Hakuho's previous bouts with Ichinojo, but the way he shakes his hips to break his opponent's grip on his mawashi is really awesome. against Ichinojo he also attacked the grip with his right elbow from his inside grip, pushing on Ichinojo's arm while pulling his mawashi back with the hip shake. and it's not just that he uses this to break Ichinojo's grip, he also attacks immediately after breaking the grip, as his hips are now also lower and in a good position to drive.

tenor.gif

Well as long as both leading men keep winning this basho will be fun

Back