Summer type gi for a somewhat akward body build

royalone9

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So im about to take the plunge and take up BJJ alongside Muay Thai. Now currently im still in the process of thinning out. Now I train down in humid humid hot Georgia and its about to be one toasty summer. Build wise im thinking im in the A4 range more so in weight, versus height. So far ive come across Gameness Air, BJJ religion genesis, Vulkan pro light, Fuji Summerweight. My slight worry is more so with the pants, with any of these ive listed or if anyone has any personal advice as far as fit,pants wise, which ones allow a little more give in the regions area so i don't feel like im walking around with an enternal wedgie? Again doesn't necessarily have to be any of these listed, im open to suggestions.

I think you will like bjj. It is a lot of fun. What is your height and weight? Depending on those you may want to look at a company that does more than just 4 or 5 sizes. Some companies do heavy and slim sizing also. Kingz and 93 Brand have nice lightweight gis in heavy sizes just to name a couple.

So far im holding steady at about 255lbs, height wise im right at 6'0.

A4. A3 if you want it slimmer. Buy a less expensive gi ($100 pricepoint) and read as many reviews as you can.

I am 6-1ish and 215lbs and I wear an a3 in gameness and kingz. I love gameness and kingz, great gis, you can't go wrong with either brand

So far, Kingz and Gameness seem to be the ones i seeing more give in the fit department so i guess ill narrow it down between those two as a starting point. Now is ripstop a good thing?

So far, Kingz and Gameness seem to be the ones i seeing more give in the fit department so i guess ill narrow it down between those two as a starting point. Now is ripstop a good thing?

I have the gameness pearl and it has rip stop pants. Very comfortable. I have the kingz 420 ripstop gi and it is comfy and fits great. I would be interested in the kingz 420 pearl weave tbh

now is it truth or fiction that rip stop tends to let a little more air pass through so one doesn't look like a sponge?

I find that I get hot in my kingz, but not as hot as my gameness. My kingz breathes pretty well, but since you'll essentially be wearing a large cotton coat while doing very heavy excercise, so you'll be hot no matter what

oh yeah I have no illusions that it will get pretty toasty. Just want to minimize the feeling of wearing a sauna while in a humid bigger sauna, cause umm yeah gets pretty sticky in Georgia lol. Upon further research this may come down to a coin flip though I am leaning more towards the Kingz.

im 6'2 250 and i have a huge ass and thighs...im on the upper end of A4 pants and can wear an A3 top just fine so i usually get an A4 and wash the top in hot water and dry it on high to shrink it down,while cold washing the pants with air dry...theres also a few brands out there that will sell you separate size top and bottom,i know lucky gi and i believe ouano as well

i think my lightest gi is a shoyoroll but if i were you i would get something cheaper for your first couple gis to play around with your sizing a bit

alright, ill look up those two as well and see what they're about. Lol oddly enough, im trying to roll in something blue to match my family. Ha, my wife was like we will look like a family of smurfs lol. I told her maybe we should find a smurf patch and put it on our Gi's ha.

alright, ill look up those two as well and see what they're about. Lol oddly enough, im trying to roll in something blue to match my family. Ha, my wife was like we will look like a family of smurfs lol. I told her maybe we should find a smurf patch and put it on our Gi's ha.

You can get patches made a Budovideos :)

oh yeah any opinions on the fuji summerweight, or fuji brand in general?

if you were to buy two fujis you'd probably never have to buy any other gis again. well, maybe in a couple years, but they are built tough. i've never owned one, but have rolled with plenty of guys that have them and they are built to take a beating.

i have whichever fuji they always put on bjjhq.com,its a lil heavier than other gis i have and very well put together,probably the best bang for the buck out there,at least that ive found

Well in light of recent events i think im going to order a fuiji summerweight for now. But with you guys blessing on the brand i feel better buying. Again thanks for the assist.

Back