Suggestions for cheap, large, healthy recipes that can be taken to go

Urban

Savage Mystic
@Gold
Reaction score
Here's the deal, I am looking for ideas for foods I can cook an take to go in a big container an eat all day without access to a microwave. I thought something like chili (throw a bunch of shit in a pot, cook, transfer to tuperware bowl, an eat all day), but chili cools and is infinitely superior to it's colder form when heated and served with bread. so any suggestions out there?

Tuna, chick peas, shredded mozarella, italian dressing and some whole wheat pasta (elbows or spirals) if you'd like.

Urban said:
Here's the deal, I am looking for ideas for foods I can cook an take to go in a big container an eat all day without access to a microwave. I thought something like chili (throw a bunch of shit in a pot, cook, transfer to tuperware bowl, an eat all day), but chili cools and is infinitely superior to it's colder form when heated and served with bread. so any suggestions out there?

Have you considered something like a themal container for your hot food?
http://www.thermos.com/thermos/cfm/prodDetail.cfm?pg=1&id=690&z=z

You could also make:

-beef or chicken stew
-Rice & beans, with chicken, beef, or fish as the protein
-pasta w/ meat sauce (use elbow macaroni)
-tuna cassarole
-beef & broccoli

you might want to go to your local library and see if they have any cookbooks on potluck suppers or something of that sort. i'm sure they'd have recipes for large meals that can be left out.

personally, i'm a fan of mixing up some black beans and rice with salsa, black olives and an avocado. it's probably better hot but i eat it cold all the time. but then i'm a big fan of anything with avocado...you could mix an avocado with monkey feces and i'd still probably eat it.

what about a turkey sandwich with cheese on wheatbread. or PB and J with natty PB?

also pasta with olive oil and chick peas. it italain soul food thats tastes OK cold.

times like that is when protein bars come in handy.
if you need something to snack on you could use polly-o string cheese type stuff with whole wheat crackers and an apple or something.

A thermos is a great idea for my soups and chillis. other good ideas in here too. I like the potluck idea, and I'd overlooked the versatility of tuna. Keep it coming, thanks a bunch guys.

italain chicken sausage with onions and olive oil on a roll tastes good cold.
you could also take some cottage cheese with you.

Meatloaf. It's a tad labor intensive to make, but it's good hot or cold and it's tupperwarable...

You could also make a large baby spinach salad, add a couple cans of tuna or chicken, top with extra virgin olive oil and basalmic vinegar.

Dare I mention it?

OK - how about a Thermos full of Sloppy Joes?

One of my favorite things to make is Chicken salad. I'll chop up three breasts with some onion, celery, and fat free miracle whip. It makes about three sandwiches.

Back