Submitting a Magazine article

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
im considering submitting an article for a magazine. Has anyone ever done this?

Would you recommend submitting to several magazines and take the best offer? Can a magazine see your article, say no thanks and then just have one of their writers write up the same conceptual article?

I think technically they can probably get away with copying the idea. I read a story of someone having that happen. On the flipside, you'll have record of you sending them the article if it's sent electronically. I would say sending to multiple mags gives you a better chance of a publication.
Maybe rank them and start with the mags you rate the highest first. It may take awhile for some to respond, too, btw.
What kind of article is it?

I think technically they can probably get away with copying the idea. I read a story of someone having that happen. On the flipside, you'll have record of you sending them the article if it's sent electronically. I would say sending to multiple mags gives you a better chance of a publication.
Maybe rank them and start with the mags you rate the highest first. It may take awhile for some to respond, too, btw.
What kind of article is it?

It's about a turn of the century boxer. Won't say much more than that though, sorry.

Thanks for the ideas!

It's about a turn of the century boxer. Won't say much more than that though, sorry.

Thanks for the ideas!
Are you expecting this to be Earth-moving? I think you risk of your idea being stolen is fairly small. I've only ever submitted CNF to literary magazines/journals, but unless your idea is likely to be worth actual money, it's not gonna be a big enough deal that people will try to plagarize it (other than Kenny Florian) And if that's the case, and you're worried most magazines will try to steal it, you can try to publish it yourself.

Are you expecting this to be Earth-moving? I think you risk of your idea being stolen is fairly small. I've only ever submitted CNF to literary magazines/journals, but unless your idea is likely to be worth actual money, it's not gonna be a big enough deal that people will try to plagarize it (other than Kenny Florian) And if that's the case, and you're worried most magazines will try to steal it, you can try to publish it yourself.

I'm a little paranoid by nature. But I think it has the potential not to be earth moving, but to contribute an important piece of not just boxing history, but history in general.

I may just expand it and write a book.

I'm a little paranoid by nature. But I think it has the potential not to be earth moving, but to contribute an important piece of not just boxing history, but history in general.

I may just expand it and write a book.
Which probably makes more sense as far as earning potential.

Would you recommend submitting to several magazines and take the best offer? Can a magazine see your article, say no thanks and then just have one of their writers write up the same conceptual article?

There's typically boilerplate submission forms. Some (maybe all?) will require you to attest that your work has not been printed, your own all rights to it, and it isn't under consideration (submitted without resolution) elsewhere.

However, you also may not be able to find submission guidelines for some publications, and many times that will be because they don't accept unsolicited material.

I didn't know penthouse forums was still around.

"So, I walked into a country bar tuesday night and a hottest blond with DDs came up and said, what'll you have suge?...."

Dear Penthouse,

My booty call has been growing scales on her bottom half and her legs seem to be fusing together...

She is stuck in the past but someday she will get that sweet sweet tail...and so will I....not sure how to have sex with it though

Jamaican-Fish-Mouth-Proverb.jpg

I got paid pretty well for submitting an article regarding some stupid Supreme Court case I cannot even remember. Like 10 years ago. They never ran the article and told me to screw after I sent them a really bad, horribly written article about something no one apparently gave a shit about.

A professor got me the deal so I guess you have to know someone or else be very good. If you submit to Yahoo or anywhere else online, your article only needs to be click bait. Nothing else.

Does it start off like this...

"Dear Penthouse Letters, I never thought it would happen to me. But the cable guy was here yesterday, and..."

?

Does it start off like this...

"Dear Penthouse Letters, I never thought it would happen to me. But the cable guy was here yesterday, and..."

?

Your like the third or fourth penthouse joke so yours wasn't funny. The first three were okay.

Back