Submission wrestling in Ancient Greece

Did anyone see that horrendous movie called Alexander?

There was a part in that movie where Alexander was a young Romo training grappling. In the background, you can see the guard being utilized by some of the other romo little boys.

physicaltherapy said:
I'm scared that you have that picture......is that part of your private collection? :D

I got it off my Latin textbook.

judo discovered locks like columbus discovered america. it

greasemonkey said:
dang thats really interesting. It would suck to get caught in a triangle back then with only loin cloths on. Or u could just bite their balls.

Actually as seen in that pic, they wrestled, boxed and did pankration naked. And since they had been practising athletics nude since they where young, homosexuality was normal and combined with the brutality of the sport, im pretty sure it wasnt something they reflected over...

Hey...remember that a lot of people nowadays still think it's a little strange that grown men want to roll around on the floor with other grown men, all sweaty and wet, and in all sorts of contorted and twisted positions, often wearing skin-tight unitards, or topless with skin-tight fightshorts...
At least it's better than naked, I suppose...

Alright, back to the original topic...

Check out http://judoinfo.com/research8.pdf
(It's interesting but a LONG read...i'm still trying to finish it!)

DMcKayBJJ said:
Hey...remember that a lot of people nowadays still think it's a little strange that grown men want to roll around on the floor with other grown men, all sweaty and wet, and in all sorts of contorted and twisted positions, often wearing skin-tight unitards, or topless with skin-tight fightshorts...
At least it's better than naked, I suppose...

Alright, back to the original topic...

Check out http://judoinfo.com/research8.pdf
(It's interesting but a LONG read...i'm still trying to finish it!)

Thanks for that link! Just glancing through it.

Must admit this sounded a bit worrying..; "and having oiled yourself for the pankration, to hit vigorously to dig alike with clenched fists and with the penis"

Wut? Propably taking it out of context....?

Back