Submission Question

Bill Parcells

Monday Morning QB
@Green
Reaction score
I've watched MMA for years and it's embarassing having to ask, but are an Americana, a Key lock, and a Kimura all the same thing? If not, what's the difference between each of them? If you can post pics or site some fights as examples I would appreciate it.

Bill Parcells said:
I've watched MMA for years and it's embarassing having to ask, but are an Americana, a Key lock, and a Kimura all the same thing? If not, what's the difference between each of them? If you can post pics or site some fights as examples I would appreciate it.

They are all the same basic move. Also called a figure 4 and reverese figure 4. The Americana and keylock are the same thing( A figure 4). Hand up towards the head. The Kimura is hand down towrards waist, reverse figure 4. I call them figure four and revesr figure 4's so I don't ge them confused. Some people really go nuts when you get them mixed up.

The americana is usually more simple for a newbie to pick up. The kimura is the more versatile submission of the two...

Americana is not that common to see in MMA, though sometimes people will go for it from side control (see Minowa v. Baroni for an unending attempt at the Americana from half guard) -- most of the time you'll see the kimura used in MMA. I am trying to go for Americana more from the back, because it's an unexpected and sneaky move.

Omoplata is basically a bad-ass variation of the kimura that uses your legs instead of your arms to do the kimura lock.

Back