• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Students Display A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response to Gay Pride Flag

Politics are a pretty common sight on high school campuses, at mine they had both a young Democrat and young Republican club(though I don't think either were popular clubs).

Look, its a high school so the students really don't have freedom of expression the way an adult does. Their speech and behavior are constantly restricted and managed and it shouldn't be any different in cases like these. If they want to ban all political paraphernalia that's fine but I honestly think its a bit nuts to try and pretend there isn't a stark difference between the pride flag and the Confederate flag.
In my HS, even political shirts were banned. Sure, we had debate club and everyone had their cliques, and open dialogue was encouraged, but overall, the political flags/shirts/pandering just to start shit stopped at the door. This was around 2006ish. I didn't have an issue. I was drawing commie sickles and upside down American flags on all of my work, listening to Anti-Flag, etc. but the teachers didn't care, still got A's. I was dumb and a kid, though. As are these people, they will eventually grow up and form a real opinion ;)

[edit] Also, bro, I just emphatically said one was right and one was wrong. That was beside the real point, though. It doesn't MATTER if one is right or wrong, as far as sparking political debate. Some still view the Confederate battle flag as just heritage, and feel infringed by it being labeled a purely racist symbol. Are we to assume the worst of them?

So it would be ok to display the ISIS flag , to make a point about the Gay Pride flag?

propaganda? get out of the dark ages. I bet you carve your own utensils and use stoneware
If you can't handle free speech get out of the country.

I would use my own carved utensils if I knew how to carve them out, that sounds pretty cool.
And stoneware is a pretty common dish piece.

Stoneware is a rather broad term for pottery or other ceramics fired at a relatively high temperature. A modern technical definition is a vitreous or semi-vitreous ceramic made primarily from stoneware clay or non-refractory fire clay. Whether vitrified or not, it is nonporous; it may or may not be glazed.
Stoneware is made from a particular clay which is fired at a higher temperature of 1,200°C. This results in a more durable material, with a denser, stone-like quality. The finished product will be waterproof and unlike earthenware, does not need to be glazed.

I agree but my point was just because you have that right doesn't mean you have the right to exercise in a disruptive manner in the context of high school. A Muslim student should not feel entitled to disrupt their classmates just to exercise their right, it would be trivially easy to come to a compromise that doesn't require disruption.

But the thing is the whole point of the Confederate flag stunt was to be disruptive and controversial and that to me is inappropriate in the context of a high school. Let me put it this way, I would've considered it a perfect retaliation if the students had handed out MAGA hats instead and me personally if I was a student in that situation and I had to choose between the MAGA hat or the pride flag its a no brainer.
images
I see what you mean.

But I am for free speech in any situation.

Politics are a pretty common sight on high school campuses, at mine they had both a young Democrat and young Republican club(though I don't think either were popular clubs).

Look, its a high school so the students really don't have freedom of expression the way an adult does. Their speech and behavior are constantly restricted and managed and it shouldn't be any different in cases like these. If they want to ban all political paraphernalia that's fine but I honestly think its a bit nuts to try and pretend there isn't a stark difference between the pride flag and the Confederate flag.
While most of the time I get what you're saying, Kafir, you might be taking the confederate flag much too seriously.

Here's South Park over the subject:

MAGA hats maybe could be more appropriate but then you're implying that Trump is the enemy of the gay pride flag, which is not right (nor wrong, I know), the purpose of it should be more to let anyone raise whichever flags they want, not X vs Y.

Wait instead of asking me to tell you perhaps which museum in North Carolina I saw the photograph of specifically what I mentioned. You’ve determined that I just lied?

And false history? Yeah fine the confederate flag was no where to be found waving in Wilington NC during the race riots, according you history scholar. Fair enough, but how about the dozens of photographs including the confederate flag at Klan rallies? Or the fact that these fucks fly the rebel flag when they march to DC. No pal, I didn’t assign a false history to that flag, that flag is shit and why you defend it is unclear to me.

Sure, I'd love to know which museum has the picture you're describing. Again, the klan started flying the battle flag in the late 40s - around '48 I believe.

Only flag Ive wver seen the Red Shirts with. Clearly not a Battle Flag:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil...Red_Shirts_pose_at_the_polls_(5908630058).jpg

Hey, but feel free to post any picture of red shirts with a battle flag.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wil...KHdzPBScQ_AUoAnoECBAQAg&biw=360&bih=692&dpr=3
File:N.98.2.77_Group_of_Red_Shirts_pose_at_the_polls_(5908630058).jpg

It is very clear to historians and academics alike that the political turmoil at the time was largely driven by the economics of slavery. There are historical documents that very clearly show the Union's concerns specifically about slavery leading into the war.

So many people will try to argue that it was about "states' rights", but what rights other than the right to enslave human beings was potentially being infringed upon?

You're still talking about the south's perception of the situation and not showing this northern push to end slavery - FFS there were slave states that stayed in the union. The North wasn't ending slavery and didnt fight to do that.

Imagine seeing gay pride and having the emotional response of wanting to enslave black people. Yeesh.

Censor it I say. Fuck free speech when it doesn't sit well with political correctness.

I was part of the Gay/Straight Alliance in high school, and we handed out pride flags occasionally. Almost no one was offended by that, and the idea was to find more allies. Very occasionally, you'd have edgy kids calling us :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s and dykes, but no one blinked an eye.

I can't imagine someone seeing small pride flags and thinking "we'll sure show them by bringing in the flag of traitors who sold their souls to own black people".

You can't imagine it because that is not what it means to them. American turbo progressists are so annoying.

Just stay out of kids' sexuality you bunch of creeps.

If you can't handle free speech get out of the country.

I would use my own carved utensils if I knew how to carve them out, that sounds pretty cool.
And stoneware is a pretty common dish piece.

Stoneware is a rather broad term for pottery or other ceramics fired at a relatively high temperature. A modern technical definition is a vitreous or semi-vitreous ceramic made primarily from stoneware clay or non-refractory fire clay. Whether vitrified or not, it is nonporous; it may or may not be glazed.
Stoneware is made from a particular clay which is fired at a higher temperature of 1,200°C. This results in a more durable material, with a denser, stone-like quality. The finished product will be waterproof and unlike earthenware, does not need to be glazed.
yup you are free to be a pathetic person and im free to call you out on it

merry xmas :)

You can't imagine it because that is not what it means to them. American turbo progressists are so annoying.

Just stay out of kids' sexuality you bunch of creeps.

Um, I grew up in a Southern conservative family and among the like. I know exactly the mentality they have.

Keep your assumptions in your ass with the rest of your head.

Um, I grew up in a Southern conservative family and among the like. I know exactly the mentality they have.

Keep your assumptions in your ass with the rest of your head.
so woke
wow
much brave

The Confederate flag brigade is WAAAAY gayer than the gays with the pride flags.

I agree with you.

Part of me is glad to see something else other than a Rainbow Flag being flounced around, though.

I’d rather see neither, and more of a focus on math, trades, physical education, cooking, etc.
us fox people should stick together

"Two countervailing positions"

"Gay people shouldn't have to fear for their safety on account of their sexual orientation."

vs.

"White people should have been allowed to enslave black people."

<31>
different culture hard to judge

Back