Stripping Bellator for Parts

jx820

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
If I understand correctly PFL will continue to do Bellator cards through 2024 due to oblictions to broadcasting partners. I haven't heard that they are on the hook to maintain any specific level or quality or a consistent roster.

I'm wondering if we'll see some of the bigger names move over to fight under the PFL banner as the year progresses and if some of the better behind the scenes talent will migrate over to work on the flagship product. It seems like it would be good for the PFL brand's repuation with the audience, but probably not great for their reputation as a business partner. What do you guys think?

From watching the interview, I'm sure Davis said something about PFL guys like Pettis going into Bellator as well and Bellator is going to keep their identity (no smartcage, uniforms, etc) so it might not be as one-sided as we may think.

If you're to go by the interview, I personally believe it will be more like what merged UFC/PRIDE was meant to be (occasional crossovers, one big champ/champ card, etc) rather than a completely one-sided deal like the UFC/Strikeforce merger was.

From watching the interview, I'm sure Davis said something about PFL guys like Pettis going into Bellator as well and Bellator is going to keep their identity (no smartcage, uniforms, etc) so it might not be as one-sided as we may think.

If you're to go by the interview, I personally believe it will be more like what merged UFC/PRIDE was meant to be (occasional crossovers, one big champ/champ card, etc) rather than a completely one-sided deal like the UFC/Strikeforce merger was.
My opinion as well, Bellator or whatever they rename it eventually will be the place for guys who don’t want to do the tournaments. The regional pfl promotions will be to qualify for the pfl tournaments

PFL gonna put all the shit fighters they dont want on all those 8 bellator events a year which will all be overseas shows.

Seems a little odd to ultimately keep it as 2 separate names for one MMA company - I'd just call it Belabor PFL double up and keep brand recognition. Glad to see perhaps the first serious challenge to the UFC since Pride.

He said all 212 fighters from Bellator will get the chance to choose between 1. PFL League Season, 2. PFL PPV Super Fights, 3. PFL Challenger Series, 4. PFL International Leagues (Europe, future MENA, future Africa), 5. Bellator. This seems unrealistic as if all went to League season to go for the million... that would be a long season.

He said all 212 fighters from Bellator will get the chance to choose between 1. PFL League Season, 2. PFL PPV Super Fights, 3. PFL Challenger Series, 4. PFL International Leagues (Europe, future MENA, future Africa), 5. Bellator. This seems unrealistic as if all went to League season to go for the million... that would be a long season.

Yeah, I think the most shocking possible outcome would be if they did everything Donn Davis is claiming right now exactly as he's laid it out. He may even mean it as he's saying it, but the best laid plans can fall apart.

Yeah, I think the most shocking possible outcome would be if they did everything Donn Davis is claiming right now exactly as he's laid it out. He may even mean it as he's saying it, but the best laid plans can fall apart.
If what he said is true, then I would be happy, but I have zero expectations so anything above bad will be satisfactory

Champ vs Champ (Tournament Winners)

Keep the Ranked guys / top prospects for the big shows

Stick the rest on Challengers and International

Bellator International events will almost certainly be rebranded after this coming year. Make zero sense to keep the Bellator name after that.

There is no doubt when you have close to 300 fighters in your pocket you must do stand alone events outside of the tournaments. So they'll have there tournaments, 2 major PPVs a year(biggest stars they have), end of the year tournament PPV, they'll run there PFL Europe, Africa, etc things, and then we'll see 8 to 10 stand alone events. The stand alone events will feature fighters that simply don't want any part of the tournament or are to big of a name for the tournament. Lot of moving parts here but that is their vision and we'll see if it catches on and grows or crashes to the ground.

All I know is the future looks interesting for the first time in years outside of the UFC.

Bellator International events will almost certainly be rebranded after this coming year. Make zero sense to keep the Bellator name after that.

There is no doubt when you have close to 300 fighters in your pocket you must do stand alone events outside of the tournaments. So they'll have there tournaments, 2 major PPVs a year(biggest stars they have), end of the year tournament PPV, they'll run there PFL Europe, Africa, etc things, and then we'll see 8 to 10 stand alone events. The stand alone events will feature fighters that simply don't want any part of the tournament or are to big of a name for the tournament. Lot of moving parts here but that is their vision and we'll see if it catches on and grows or crashes to the ground.

All I know is the future looks interesting for the first time in years outside of the UFC.
Donn Davis kept calling it the PFL international league so I assume that's the name after this year

Donn Davis kept calling it the PFL international league so I assume that's the name after this year
Professional Fighters League's 5 franchises:
1. PFL League Season,
2. PFL PPV Super Fights,
3. PFL Challenger Series,
4. PFL International Leagues (Europe, MENA, Africa),
5. Bellator

Professional Fighters League's 5 franchises:
1. PFL League Season,
2. PFL PPV Super Fights,
3. PFL Challenger Series,
4. PFL International Leagues (Europe, MENA, Africa),
5. Bellator
By 2025, the remaining Bellator fighters will fill out the ranks of the other 4 franchises. I hope, at least Patchy, Pico, AJ, Usman, Eblen, and Nemkov run for the hills and join the UFC.

If I understand correctly PFL will continue to do Bellator cards through 2024 due to oblictions to broadcasting partners. I haven't heard that they are on the hook to maintain any specific level or quality or a consistent roster.

I'm wondering if we'll see some of the bigger names move over to fight under the PFL banner as the year progresses and if some of the better behind the scenes talent will migrate over to work on the flagship product. It seems like it would be good for the PFL brand's repuation with the audience, but probably not great for their reputation as a business partner. What do you guys think?

If PFL tries to keep their format and use Bellator to bolster it they are doomed. There only hope is to migrate everything to Bellator and continue operating under the Bellator banner. Bellator has 10 years as MMAs "B promotion" under its belt if PFL were to Strikeforce it and try to have PFL be the B promotion it would be a disaster. The alternative option is to keep PFL but switch to Bellators format(you know the normal one) and while that'd be less of a disaster they would be starting from scratch and makes no sense.

People across generations and time have shown they do not care for teams in individual sports. It is the 3d of sports. MMA alone has had 2 failed attempts at this concept in the IFL and WSOF.

The PFL format is unworkable. No amount of money can change that.

The PFL format is unworkable. No amount of money can change that.
Think they will get a few fans for each format/franchises they will just be a fan of PFL Europe or PFL League Season. They would have to build each franchise up, too scattered even if they come together to do a pay-for-view. Right now I am just a fan of PFL Europe it is good but can be better, Not a fan of their other shows waiting to see who is left in Bellator.

Think they will get a few fans for each format/franchises they will just be a fan of PFL Europe or PFL League Season. They would have to build each franchise up, too scattered even if they come together to do a pay-for-view. Right now I am just a fan of PFL Europe it is good but can be better, Not a fan of their other shows waiting to see who is left in Bellator.

I can not see that succeeding.

In terms of non financial merit Bellator was a more successful promotion. PFL "won" because it has financial backers who believe in it more than Viacom believed in Bellator. If they consider themselves the number 2 promotion based on this they are gravely miscalculating.

Is PFL Europe a traditional format thing? With belts title shots and what not? For me if they switched everything to traditional format they might keep the Bellator roster but the PFL does not have Bellators history and brand and they'd have to spend years trying to get the following they've just bought with Bellator. Also "FL" will make people instantly think of team sports.

THEY NEED A CHAMP VS CHAMP CARD

If I were a fighter, that has some name value, I would pick the option that releases me from my contract the fastest. Eblen can probably come over to the UFC and get a top 3 ranking right out of the gate. He may even get a title shot immediately.

Back