Stranger Danger

Fluffernutter

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Off of the "womens' self defense" thread, it got me thinking about the talk we all got in kindergarten: "Stranger Danger" or "Don't talk to strangers".

Since the vast majority of kidnappers are those that the kid already knows (family member, neighbor, family friend, etc.) should the "stranger danger" curriculum be changed?

If so, what should be taught?

How do you teach a child about situational awareness?

Off of the "womens' self defense" thread, it got me thinking about the talk we all got in kindergarten: "Stranger Danger" or "Don't talk to strangers".

Since the vast majority of kidnappers are those that the kid already knows (family member, neighbor, family friend, etc.) should the "stranger danger" curriculum be changed?

If so, what should be taught?

How do you teach a child about situational awareness?
Ronnie Jame Dio

Fear everyone be scared of everyone even your parents. They all mean to fuck and kill you. Just kill youself to avoid it. There's the class.

I remember one of those dateline-esque specials on this where they interviewed a bunch of parents about thud who claimed that none of their kids would ever go with a stranger. Then they proceed to show hidden camera footage of one of their reporters convincing every single one of them to go back to his car with him.

I remember one of those dateline-esque specials on this where they interviewed a bunch of parents about thud who claimed that none of their kids would ever go with a stranger. Then they proceed to show hidden camera footage of one of their reporters convincing every single one of them to go back to his car with him.

I remember one of those "hey, I'm going to test your kid" videos went viral a couple of years ago. I couldn't help thinking:

1. If someone approaches you at the playground and asks if they can video tape (or test) your child, say NO!

2. Why did those parents let their child's test be broadcast?

3. If one of those parents were in the midst of a divorce, then this would be "Exhibit A" in the custody fight.

I remember one of those "hey, I'm going to test your kid" videos went viral a couple of years ago. I couldn't help thinking:

1. If someone approaches you at the playground and asks if they can video tape (or test) your child, say NO!

2. Why did those parents let their child's test be broadcast?

3. If one of those parents were in the midst of a divorce, then this would be "Exhibit A" in the custody fight.
This one wasn’t like that. They recruited these families specifically for this piece ahead of time. And they had the kids faces blurred out.

The surprising part was just how easy it was for this guy to convince them to go with him.

But yeah if someone came up to me and asked if they could film my kid I’d tell them to fuck off.

You can teach kids a bunch of things but just like adults, when go time comes, theyre not really prepared.

My mother taught me that if a stranger came along and said your mom was in an accident and they didn't know the code word which was my aunt's first name, don't go and run away. I grew up in the 70's and 80's so I was always off on my own or with friends all over town so we were easy targets compared to kids nowadays that have sanctioned playdates and I was never taken. I did have a creepy old pedo try to take me by the arm in Brighton Beach England when I was maybe 10 or so so I pulled away and ran back to the beach where my folks were.

I have a 9 year old daughter and I’m often away on business, she has a phone (iphone 8) as well as a watch with a gps tracker, we have talked very early that stranger=danger and that to often be with trusted friends.

What more can be done whilst avoiding scaring the shit out of my little girl, I have to trust that she will be smart

I have a 9 year old daughter and I’m often away on business, she has a phone (iphone 8) as well as a watch with a gps tracker, we have talked very early that stranger=danger and that to often be with trusted friends.

What more can be done whilst avoiding scaring the shit out of my little girl, I have to trust that she will be smart
A guy at work says he has a GPS tracker on a necklace that his daughter wears and he gets a notification if she travels a certain distance outside the school perimeter. They had to get it primarily because she would just up and leave during recess.

From the thread title I thought this was gonna be about the: Strangers in Danger TV show.

Pretty sure you just gotta keep an eye on your kids. They are too stupid to not get kidnapped.

A guy at work says he has a GPS tracker on a necklace that his daughter wears and he gets a notification if she travels a certain distance outside the school perimeter. They had to get it primarily because she would just up and leave during recess.
Well their issue is the girl, my daughter is happy with a gps tracker in case she loses her way or, god forbid, abduction.

Teach them in a group. Teach them how to make friends. Teach them to stick in a group. Teach them the places where they would be safe as a group. It's hard to sway the opinion of a group, even if they're kids. A lone child is easier to persuade and bully into submission, a group can cause a ruckus.

Well their issue is the girl, my daughter is happy with a gps tracker in case she loses her way or, god forbid, abduction.
Nah man. I get it. I will definitely be getting them for my kids. I’ve seen some people(mostly those without kids) comment that it’s over the top but to me it’s just a little added peace of mind.

We are getting one of those too but just keep in mind if the kidnappers are part of a ring the first thing they do is strip them of everything they are wearing and cut their hair. Out of state ASAP too.

We are getting one of those too but just keep in mind if the kidnappers are part of a ring the first thing they do is strip them of everything they are wearing and cut their hair. Out of state ASAP too.
Yes very aware, but it’s better than not having it but truth be told I doubt there is much to prevent a kidnapper, as horrifying as that sounds

Back