straight bjj or bjj/judo?

deadlift ryan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
just looking for some advice on furthering my game.
i have my next comp coming up at the beginning of may.
im a white belt and have been training since july last year.
i have one comp under my belt so far.
i normally train bjj 2-3 days a week.
ive now decided to step up my training for may.
my current training routine is this

monday
cant train due to work evening course

tuesday
2 hours no gi bjj

wednesday
2 hours gi bjj

thursday
rest

friday
1 hour thai

saturday
2 hours gi bjj

sunday
rest

on a sunday evening my academy opens for sparring classes and im starting to attend them.
now my next question is the best way to spend my thursday.
my academy does a drills night on thursday that ive been invited to even though its mostly blue belts and above who are allowed to attend. however ive found a local judo club that is open on a thursday night. ive been to a few classes there and quite enjoyed it.
so i guess my question is would my time be better spent doing bjj drills or some judo on my thursday nights?
from reading posts on this site ive gathered cross training really helps so should i give judo a shot or concentrate more on my bjj?
thanks for any help coming fellas.

also ive decided to go back to some weight lifting as well.
i used to be quite heavily into strongman comps and powerlifting. 2 years ago i was 230lbs at 5,8. i havent really done any weight lifting in 2 years and im now 200lbs but im thinking of dropping to 185lb for the comp. so i really want to work on increasing my strength and flexibility while lowering my weight. my old strongman training used to be sled dragging and tire flipping so im thinking of adding some of that back into my training.
cheers

Most BJJ clubs I have been at almost never train standup, so I think the judo would really help your game, especially if you enjoy it.

Judo will increase your standup game as you have the ground game covered.
As far as cross training , running will help cardio although you are rolling quite a bit, weight lifting will defintely help you also.

i'd say it depends on the amount and quality of standup that your bjj academy does. some do none, and some have judo bb's as instructors and do 1/2 standup, 1/2 ground every class and spar from the feet, like john danaher for instance. definitely do some judo if you don't get any standup work.

If my funds allowed me, I would train bjj and judo... to bad i work fast food.

im gutted im at college on a monday night
if i wasnt it would be perfect
i could do judo on a monday night and bjj drills on a thursday.
oh well

If your new to either sport. i say just pick one and stick with it.
To many guys want to become the next mma allstar and think they are going to do it in 6 months.
Wait till you have a good fondation before you start clouding your mind with different ways of doing things.. Which may or may not be better.

If youve been training for years.. Picking up judo would be a good idea. Since your base is already good and would easily be able to finish your other judo opponents on the ground. It would expand your knowledge of takedowns, give you a feeling for all the moves, and improve your balance standing up. PLus it makes it alot easier to fight other people if you know what it is they are trying to do to you......

Ive done both bjj and judo.. Bjj is the more complete.

i dont like judo. I find the take downs very painful to train, but also very useless. Like once my instructor tried to teach us a basic hiptoss. We went in pair and did 20 each. EEk.
Personally I would just do more jj if i could. I already do, kickboxing and greco roman so that is enough i think for stand up.

Seriously, if you are going mma one day then go judo with some bjj maybe. Bjj is effective in mma mostly because they have been mma for longer than the rest it and have been showing off smokin non-sub fellas.

They do too much groundwork that won't count. The main prob with them is that they dont know takedowns and don't respect them enuff (ex. we do 20 min every nite b4 ground). Taking a trained fella down takes alot of work.

Judo scores for 'HI' for takedowns, control from top and subs. No others do that and that is the foundation (aside from an mma gym if you can). You will have to modify the game, but, not as much as bjj or wrestling.

Of course, like bjj, you will have to lose the gi.

Generally,
Bjj training, and no mma = Wallid Ismail vs Takahashi.

If Nog really was good in judo he would have given Fedor a real fight.

Bjj is 'great' for subs. Judo is good. MMA they are closer.

OR...you could do...both...bjj....and...wrestling...along with boxing ......and conditioning. And dont forget your kick defense.:):):)

Q mystic said:
Seriously, if you are going mma one day then go judo with some bjj maybe. Bjj is effective in mma mostly because they have been mma for longer than the rest it and have been showing off smokin non-sub fellas.

They do too much groundwork that won't count. The main prob with them is that they dont know takedowns and don't respect them enuff (ex. we do 20 min every nite b4 ground). Taking a trained fella down takes alot of work.

Judo scores for 'HI' for takedowns, control from top and subs. No others do that and that is the foundation (aside from an mma gym if you can). You will have to modify the game, but, not as much as bjj or wrestling.

Of course, like bjj, you will have to lose the gi.

Generally,
Bjj training, and no mma = Wallid Ismail vs Takahashi.

If Nog really was good in judo he would have given Fedor a real fight.

Bjj is 'great' for subs. Judo is good. MMA they are closer.
Your post is very enlightening and unbiased. I love you [/sarcasm]

Soid said:
Your post is very enlightening and unbiased. I love you [/sarcasm]

Well, lets debate it. I mean, you guys arn't as bad as the karate guys were at realism.

I guess that makes me biased toward a straight grappler over a straight striker also. And an mma'er over a wing chung,ist.:)

from what everyone has been saying i kinda feel like i should wait and get my blue and then concentrate on improving my skill level with other grappling arts maybe?

Ultimately, you need to do what you think will benefit you most. I personally train in submission wrestling and Judo. IMO judo helps a lot with my standup game and transfers to MMA or no gi fairly easily, but my main reason for doing it is because I enjoy it.

You don't have anything to lose by trying it out for a week or so. You can always stop going if you don't like it or you don't think it's helping you.

There are going to be people who will give you good reasons to do judo and other people who will give you good reasons not to do judo. You need to weigh the costs and benefits of it and decide for yourself.

Good luck with your comp!

I do both and I find the judo standup very useful and essentiel in BJJ.
Many of the top BJJ ers are also Judo gouys for instance Jacare who has very good throws.

If you enjoy judo then go for it. That has to be one of the best reasons to train. I wouldn't do all the training I do if I didn't get a kick out of it (Nice pun, huh?). Other guys play golf, I train mma. Do what you enjoy and don't worry so much about what makes you a "complete" fighter. Unless you want to be the world champ, that's just a recipe for burnout.

If you do decide to train in Judo, start young. I tried starting at 33 and it was a little more abuse than my body could tolerate.

Good luck in your training and have some fun.

I think it depends more on your goals, and what you enjoy more.

I happen to train at a JJ school that trains takedowns, and although I am no-where near a wreslter or a judoka in takedowns, I find the amount of training we do enough for me. I also get to train with good wrestlers looking to up their JJ skills, so there is a lot of information trading.

If you feel your takedown game is hurting, and you feel it hinders your progress, then I think you should go train some Judo. If you find Judo to be fun for you, then I would again, go train some Judo. You should definitely train what you have the most fun in.

If you feel that your club practices takedowns and throws enough, or are not bothered by the lack there of in your game, then do the extra class of Jiu Jitsu and stay focused on it.

Figure out your goals, and figure out which you like to do more.

ALL FIGHTS START STANDING, MOST WITH CLOTHES-ON, AND MOST ON HARD GROUND.

sO WHY bjj? Oh yeah, because it is effective for MMA, which is an incredibly controlled fighting environment.

Yep. I stand-up, take-down, stand-up takedown my way to many a victory.

It is funny watching a talented BJJ guy become helpless when a judo guy like me won't play his game (ie fall to the ground in his guard, start hugging).

I just step back and signal him to stand. He looks up, frustrated with the expression "Why won't he roll with me on the ground?"

If it won't work in a street fight, why practice it?

Q mystic said:

Back