Stocks Thread

Joseph Budden

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't see one of these anywhere. Anyone do any trading?

I'm fairly new to this, just opened a TD Ameritrade account. Lord almighty is this more complicated than expected. My account screen has a million different things to click. Just been sticking to buying stocks and avoiding all the other shenanigans.

Anyone have any good sources for tips? Share some stocks you like of your own? I've started my portfolio by buying a bunch of Wendys shares at 9.76 a piece. Plan on selling when the shares are at maybe 10.50/11 but again i'm really new to this. Mainly just trying to learn and playing around to get my feet wet

I'm fairly new to this, just opened a TD Ameritrade account. Lord almighty is this more complicated than expected. My account screen has a million different things to click. Just been sticking to buying stocks and avoiding all the other shenanigans.

Anyone have any good sources for tips? Share some stocks you like of your own? I've started my portfolio by buying a bunch of Wendys shares at 9.76 a piece. Plan on selling when the shares are at maybe 10.50/11 but again i'm really new to this. Mainly just trying to learn and playing around to get my feet wet
I bought apple stock earlier today. Earning's report comes out in an hour

I bought apple stock earlier today. Earning's report comes out in an hour
Damn you're not messing around. I'm sure Apple's one of the safer stocks but see its one of the priciest per share too.

Is Earning's report something I should be checking everyday when the market closes? What exactly does it entail? Just a summary of the days activity and projections for the next day?

Damn you're not messing around. I'm sure Apple's one of the safer stocks but see its one of the priciest per share too.

Is Earning's report something I should be checking everyday when the market closes? What exactly does it entail? Just a summary of the days activity and projections for the next day?

Earnings reports are every quarter (3 months). No need to check that daily. Generally speaking, if the announced earnings are higher than everyone expected, the share price goes up, and vice versa.

Earnings reports are every quarter (3 months). No need to check that daily. Generally speaking, if the announced earnings are higher than everyone expected, the share price goes up, and vice versa.
Thanks for the info. Just realized nasdaq.com has a great calendar for tracking earnings reports.

I wouldn't call it safe. If you look at its history, you can see that its devalued quite a bit over the last year. At the same time though, I think it's a perfect time to buy because of its current standing

and for what its worth, # of shares is pretty much irrelevant. You could have 10 shares of Wendys and I could have 1 share of apple, at the end of the day we both have ~$100 invested in a company.

I wouldn't call it safe. If you look at its history, you can see that its devalued quite a bit over the last year. At the same time though, I think it's a perfect time to buy because of its current standing

and for what its worth, # of shares is pretty much irrelevant. You could have 10 shares of Wendys and I could have 1 share of apple, at the end of the day we both have ~$100 invested in a company.
Have you been doing this awhile? Do you put stocks in one company or do you have a variety of things going on? Pisses me off fucking TD Ameritrade charges me $10 for everything I buy, was tempted to just go real hard on Wendy's for that reason and not any other companies.

I'm not the best at math and I don't know shit about these things yet, but would Wendy's have a greater potential return due to dollar per share being less, giving it a higher percentage increase as it grows?

Just bought another $10K of Apple today. The company is talking about releasing the next iPhone in September. They're also releasing a new MacBook and the Apple Watch 2 in the fall. I think Apple is a bargain at $97/share. I like my chances with the future of the company.

Have you been doing this awhile? Do you put stocks in one company or do you have a variety of things going on? Pisses me off fucking TD Ameritrade charges me $10 for everything I buy, was tempted to just go real hard on Wendy's for that reason and not any other companies.

I'm not the best at math and I don't know shit about these things yet, but would Wendy's have a greater potential return due to dollar per share being less, giving it a higher percentage increase as it grows?
So you bought a bunch of Wendy's stock. What makes you think they'll start making more money in the future?

Get an advisor. I see peeps like you lose everything they got to margin calls

In addition to whatever IGNP says (the person you're actually asking) - nobody will advise you to put all your eggs in one basket. If you were actually thinking of going all-in on Wendys, I would really suggest distributing your money among a few market indexes (or even just one). It's pre-diversified and you more or less go up or down with that one market as a whole, rather than burdening all of the risk individual to Wendys or any other one company.

Last edited:

Haha, Apple isn't pricy. Look at Amazon (~$700/share) and Berkshire-Hathaway A shares (~$200,000/share). Apple is a bargain.

In addition to whatever Budden says (the person you're actually asking) - nobody will advise you to put all your eggs in one basket. If you were actually thinking of going all-in on Wendys, I would really suggest distributing your money among a few market indexes (or even just one). It's pre-diversified and you more or less go up or down with that one market as a whole, rather than burdening all of the risk individual to Wendys or any other one company.
TS needs to diversify his portfolio. It's a learning process, TS.

So you bought a bunch of Wendy's stock. What makes you think they'll start making more money in the future?
I mean, not a bunch. 10 shares. I'm not playing with a lot of money til I have somewhat of a grasp on how this works, i'm just trying to get my feet wet and learn. I know two people who do well day trading, and they both told me Wendy's is something to get in on. They're remodeling most of the places and going for a more high end feel, toying with the menu, bunch of other shit I don't really remember but they both have a high outlook on where the stock is headed.

Get an advisor. I see peeps like you lose everything they got to margin calls
I can't stress enough how little I know lol but i'm not doing anything with margins. I'm literally just buying stock in a few companies I know about or have been told about, watching the market, trying to read about all the crazy shit Ameritrade allows me to do, and learning what I can.

definitely variety. to your second point, no. Wendy's probably isn't going to hit $100 per share anytime soon. what made you invest in Wendy''s in the first place if you dont mind me asking?

and have i been doing this long? no, but my dad and cousin are sort of gifted at it so everything i know is basically from them. But i will pat myself on the back for buying nintendo stock before pokemon go was released

Haha, Apple isn't pricy. Look at Amazon (~$700/share) and Berkshire-Hathaway A shares (~$200,000/share). Apple is a bargain.
Could've swore when I was looking at ten highest priced stocks the other day Apple was there

Cant compare anything to Berkshire Hathaway lol that shit is literally a thousand times more expensive than any other stock

definitely variety. to your second point, no. Wendy's probably isn't going to hit $100 per share anytime soon. what made you invest in Wendy''s in the first place if you dont mind me asking?

and have i been doing this long? no, but my dad and cousin are sort of gifted at it so everything i know is basically from them. But i will pat myself on the back for buying nintendo stock before pokemon go was released
Posted why I bought into Wendy's a few posts up. In a nutshell just a tip from trusted colleagues I work with.

This shit is a lot more complicated than MMA gambling, sheesh

I mean, not a bunch. 10 shares. I'm not playing with a lot of money til I have somewhat of a grasp on how this works, i'm just trying to get my feet wet and learn. I know two people who do well day trading, and they both told me Wendy's is something to get in on. They're remodeling most of the places and going for a more high end feel, toying with the menu, bunch of other shit I don't really remember but they both have a high outlook on where the stock is headed.
DO NOT DAY TRADE. You will lose everything really quickly. No one beats the house if you gamble.

So think of stocks like this: They're a representation of what you think the future of the company looks like. If the collective community thinks the company is going to make a lot of money in the future, the stock is valued higher. You make your money in the difference. When you see things that others don't, you are rewarded accordingly. I don't own companies that don't have optimistic futures. That's generally how this stuff works. Also, if you're making small trades like 10 shares of a $10/share stock, you'll lose money in the trading fees. I don't suggest doing that. For someone like you, buy a bunch of shares of Coca-Cola. It's a great stock that pays a dividend, and you can get more of them for cheap. When you have a little more money, buy something like JNJ. They have about 10 major pharmaceuticals in the pipeline. I predict good things for the future of that company.

Posted why I bought into Wendy's a few posts up. In a nutshell just a tip from trusted colleagues I work with.

This shit is a lot more complicated than MMA gambling, sheesh
What's your tip? Let us know!

Could've swore when I was looking at ten highest priced stocks the other day Apple was there

Cant compare anything to Berkshire Hathaway lol that shit is literally a thousand times more expensive than any other stock
I don't know the ten most expensive, but that would surprise me. I mean, TSLA trades at or over $200/share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back