Stocking my home dojo - need advice about the B.O.B. XL

ShindoNinja

Faixa Preta
@Green
Reaction score
So my basement reno is coming to a close and now I get to stock my home dojo. Wifee has said she does not want my old Century Tidal Wave Heavy bag hung from the rafters (It shook stuff on the upper floor during workouts), and I don't have a ton of room so I don't want to do a free standing mount with that bag but I may go that direction.

The other options are the Century BOB or the BOB XL... or maybe even the Wave Master XL or some other free standing bag. My question is, can any of these take full force kicks?

Buy a Bowflex....a gym isn't complete without one.

Never used Bob, but I have a Wave Master as well as several ceiling-mounted heavy bags. I filled my WM with sand, fuck water. I can easily vacuum up sand if something happens... water all over my floor... no thanks. As far as taking kicks yes, it can easily take full-force kicks. Only thing that blows is you can't practice low kicks on it. Not too big an issue for me since one of the bags I have is a 6 foot tall banana bag, but if you're limited to 1 bag then low kicks are out on the WM.

One of the things people complain about is that the WM does move around when you're kicking and striking it hard. Yes, it does move a bit, but to me that's a good thing. It's not like it goes sliding across the whole floor. My gym floor is made up of interlocked foam mats: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f9DCK9RKf...iqQK0/s1600/steppaddedantifatiguefloormat.jpg and a corner has Mancino Mats laid down. The floor has a rough texture which prevents the WM from moving too much. On the Mancino Mats, which are smooth, the movement is a bit more dramatic. The bottom line is it forces you to circle around it to keep hitting from different angles to prevent it from sliding too far.

Hope that helps a bit. If I remember when I get home I'll snap some pics of my gym.

I am not too sure what your set up looks like, but have you tried a heavy bag spring in the link to a ceiling mount? It really dampens the shock and vibration. If that doesn't work, a floor mounted pole bag that does not extend or attach to the ceiling would be my second choice. Personally speaking I really hate free standing heavy bags.

:icon_chee

Never used Bob, but I have a Wave Master as well as several ceiling-mounted heavy bags. I filled my WM with sand, fuck water. I can easily vacuum up sand if something happens... water all over my floor... no thanks. As far as taking kicks yes, it can easily take full-force kicks. Only thing that blows is you can't practice low kicks on it. Not too big an issue for me since one of the bags I have is a 6 foot tall banana bag, but if you're limited to 1 bag then low kicks are out on the WM.

One of the things people complain about is that the WM does move around when you're kicking and striking it hard. Yes, it does move a bit, but to me that's a good thing. It's not like it goes sliding across the whole floor. My gym floor is made up of interlocked foam mats: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f9DCK9RKf...iqQK0/s1600/steppaddedantifatiguefloormat.jpg and a corner has Mancino Mats laid down. The floor has a rough texture which prevents the WM from moving too much. On the Mancino Mats, which are smooth, the movement is a bit more dramatic. The bottom line is it forces you to circle around it to keep hitting from different angles to prevent it from sliding too far.

Hope that helps a bit. If I remember when I get home I'll snap some pics of my gym.

It can take the heavy kicks becuase you have sand in it. Water loaded wave masters can get knocked over by good teeps , side kicks and really well landed Thai style round kicks.

As far as Bob goes, well really most of the freestanding bags, it can be a bit hit or miss with the construction. Can't recommend a Bob as your only bag, I have seen the screws get knocked out of one by a solid round house. Would make a great secondary bag for training angles target drills though.

AS someone less said looking to a bag stand for a hanging bag. Century had great corner design a few years ago that was perfect for kicking arts and could hang a 100lb bag.

I've got a wavemaster, and yeah, good solid kicks if it's filled with water will put it sideways.

As I said I'd post pics when I got home, so here they are:

gym1x.jpg

gym2.jpg

gym3v.jpg

gym4.jpg

Took a shot from each corner of the gym.

As I said I'd post pics when I got home, so here they are:

gym1x.jpg

gym2.jpg

gym3v.jpg

gym4.jpg

Took a shot from each corner of the gym.

Nice setup!

I don't have quite that much space though. I like the idea of the BOB simulating an opponent... but since I already have the big Tidal wave, a spring is alot cheaper than a new BOB XL.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Man, I wish I had a setup like that. Your home gym is the size of my whole apartment :p

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Took a lot of time and money to get it all spruced up to the point it's at now. Still have to wrap up a bit of touch up paint from a bathroom remodel where the contractors cut access holes in the ceiling, and mud/tape/paint one wall, but other than that it's pretty much done.

Good luck on finishing up your gym, Shindo. If you get a chance post some pictures. Always cool to see what people have done.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Took a lot of time and money to get it all spruced up to the point it's at now. Still have to wrap up a bit of touch up paint from a bathroom remodel where the contractors cut access holes in the ceiling, and mud/tape/paint one wall, but other than that it's pretty much done.

Good luck on finishing up your gym, Shindo. If you get a chance post some pictures. Always cool to see what people have done.

I will post for sure. The room is drywalled, mudded and taped. Problem is I am using this room to store all of the tools while I get the rest of the basement done. I was told it is the last priority. For some strange reason, wifee was worried I would just concentrate on the dojo then the rest of the basement would get ignored... she is not just a pretty face. hahah.

Bob XL is good for ripping, creating angles, targeting, and practicing combative drills; especially off of the fence position. However, it does not replace a good ole' heavy bag.

BTW, AdamL, your gym is TITS!

So my basement reno is coming to a close and now I get to stock my home dojo. Wifee has said she does not want my old Century Tidal Wave Heavy bag hung from the rafters (It shook stuff on the upper floor during workouts), and I don't have a ton of room so I don't want to do a free standing mount with that bag but I may go that direction.

The other options are the Century BOB or the BOB XL... or maybe even the Wave Master XL or some other free standing bag. My question is, can any of these take full force kicks?

ringside makes a free-standing bag with an attachment that allows for leg kicks, but checking their site shows the bag is out of stock. maybe they aren't making it anymore, i don't know. the leg attachment is available, however, so maybe they will carry it again soon. here's the links:

Free-Standing Heavybag
Ringside Thai Attachment For Free-Standing Heavybag

Back