Stock Portfolios V2

Cool man. Good call

What about Starbucks? Tons of bullish articles and hype. I think it will have a good run this year

Looking at Starbucks, it's a hard one to call. I wouldn't touch it personally just because it's not showing any patterns that I like to trade.

They've also got earnings coming up I believe on the 24th and I like to stay away from those.

Might help to track performance in terms of basis points or percentages rather than $ amounts. Could help curb emotion and promote objective thinking.

You are correct, of course.

I purposely avoided the % in this case because I was intentionally shooting for a smaller % with a much larger-than-usual position because of the fact that this stock is much larger and slower moving than what I usually trade.

I had more than half my capital on this trade. haha but it was a good set up with a tight stop, so I felt comfortable.

Not in my opinion because buyback policies are set for at least a year in general. "We're going to buy back $2-3B in stocks over the next 12 months". Sure, they can time it a bit to buy them on the cheap, but usually there's not a concerted effort to say we're overpriced so we're not doing buybacks. Perhaps they could use that cash for other, more profitable things.

cool, did not know that.

Looking at Starbucks, it's a hard one to call. I wouldn't touch it personally just because it's not showing any patterns that I like to trade.

They've also got earnings coming up I believe on the 24th and I like to stay away from those.

True, I don't really pay much attention to patterns. I buy and hold. But the SBUX hype is big right now. If there is any pop in the earnings, I can see a decent amount of buys occur.

I am long, as here in Asia, SBUX is growing, even in Japan where McDs is losing sales. International expansion is coming.

P/E is crazy high now. You are paying $400 for $1 profit they are making. Market average P/E for a healthy and profiting company is 15. While companies that falls into the same industry, which is a better comparison, seems to fall around 25 ~ 35 P/E. Starbucks is 400, which is insane. If there is a market correction, Starbucks will be the first to plummet.

Their cash per share is barely $2, revenue per share is $20, it's not profit mind you. Yet it's trading near $80.

I'm no expert, but even that should deter retail investors. I'm NOT saying it's impossible to go higher, but value wise there are TONS of better companies to put your money in.

Additional information:
Some of you might have read about CYNK. It's basically a ZERO dollar revenue company that have a 4b market cap. This just shows how retail investors are crazy about pushing up companies share price. Humble opinion, Starbucks is one of them. They generate huge profits unlike CYNK, but PPS is not reflecting sensible investment IMO.
True SBUx doesn't have much cash on hand, but that is balanced by almost no debt.
I think a lot of the cash flow is going to CApEx and expansions.

I think people see social media and think FB. Sounds good, right? So yeah!
Got em man, so much irrationality in the market. I just don't get it.

Prestige Brands PBH is funny too. Tiny consumer brands co, but they buy stupid brands like Beano and tagamet that were mildly popular years ago, and barely on the shelves this days. Full of weird stuff the market is.

You might be right about Starbucks expansion. I myself visit them for late night chill out as well. They are the only Cafe that open 24/7 which is near where I live. I read it from somewhere that understanding the product that the company sell is one of the best way to decide whether to invest in the share. Starbucks is on everyone mind for a quick grab, at least in my country.

But still, I rather not put in money at this moment. I'm high on Gold/Silver mining companies now.

You might be right about Starbucks expansion. I myself visit them for late night chill out as well. They are the only Cafe that open 24/7 which is near where I live. I read it from somewhere that understanding the product that the company sell is one of the best way to decide whether to invest in the share. Starbucks is on everyone mind for a quick grab, at least in my country.

But still, I rather not put in money at this moment. I'm high on Gold/Silver mining companies now.

I think understanding a product, and the fundamentals of a company are important. I don't buy anything from SBUXs, as I feel it is over priced. But I see so many people line up to buy it, and the fact that it is still expanding. Not too mention that same store sales are up like 5%, which is a feat in of it's self to keep that growth rate.

Good for you man. I stay away from mining, save for equipment makers

I finally jumped in on DE&CO at $87.95.

I chose DE over BA, so now I'll be watching both ..... lol

I like Ultra Clean Holdings (UCTT) currently @ $8.81 as a long. Showing good potential.

Got in on Michael Kors (KORS) yesterday @ $79.95, currently $82.45 and will probably run back up into the mid $90's for a quick profit.

I like Ultra Clean Holdings (UCTT) currently @ $8.81 as a long. Showing good potential.

Got in on Michael Kors (KORS) yesterday @ $79.95, currently $82.45 and will probably run back up into the mid $90's for a quick profit.

I had no idea this was a publically traded company.

You should thank my wife for the recent jump :)

I own a grocery store, but that's my only retail company

I had no idea this was a publically traded company.

You should thank my wife for the recent jump :)

I own a grocery store, but that's my only retail company

Either did I until I saw practically every women in Manhattan with one hanging off their arm. I don't see it going for long because fashion is always about the next best thing. Maybe Marc Jacobs if he takes it public???

I was going to divest my IBM, but the news man. IBM and Apple are teaming up, which may actually help out IBMs sales/rev a great deal

I'll just book mark my company here.

Seed Round - $0.10/sh. June 2012
Second Round - $0.20/sh. Jan 2014
Todays estimated value - $0.45/sh
Estimated IPO date/price - Feb 2015/$0.65/sh
Estimated trading price 12 month post listing - $1.25
24 mths post listing - $3
36 mths post listing - $4.50

ROI for $0.10/sh investor 36 mths post listing 4500% or $10,000 becomes $450,000.

Once we take our company public I will reveal the name. Every thing said prior will then be verifiable. Everything I say will happen in the future can then be tracked.

I finally jumped in on DE&CO at $87.95.

I chose DE over BA, so now I'll be watching both ..... lol

Not really similar companies. DE will be more of slow growth. While BA will be alot more explosive for the near term. Imho

Going to wait for MAIN to release it's earnings, and I am prolly going to make a move there. I think NDCs are facing some nice tail winds, and just like the cash in general

Any of you guys ever used Investors Business Daily? Or any other useful newsletter?

I'm not really a fundamentals guy but I have listened to William O'Neil's book on his CAN SLIM method, and I found it interesting. So I signed up for a free trial of his Investor Business Daily Leaderboard, and so far I find it quite useful.

It's kinda like outsourcing the analysis work. They keep you updated on the big stories and the relevant data on the broad market (such as the fact that this week has been heavy on distribution, so I knew it was time to lock in profits before the market came down), and provide a list of their 50 top stocks according to CANSLIM fundamentals and technical performance. I like that they annotate their charts and update the leader board to alert you when stocks(from their top 50) are close to high percentage buy points. Pretty cool.

I think it costs like $60 a month or something like that but I find it saves me a lot of time.

Anyone else subscribe to any useful newsletters like that?

Not really similar companies. DE will be more of slow growth. While BA will be alot more explosive for the near term. Imho

pun intended?

Its not that I think they are similar, but rather I only had the cash to add one to my portfolio. I try to hold companies for a market cycle, 5ish years, and I will check in to see.

Back