Economy Stock market chat v3: Tesla crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn totally missed a sick run on my darling ASUR while away this week. up 25% in 5 days.

Canopy CEO FIRED. lol

Bruce Linton, co-CEO of Canopy Growth, said he was fired from the Canadian pot company he founded in 2013 in an interview with CNBC on Wednesday.

Canopy, the world’s largest publicly traded cannabis company by market value, earlier Wednesday announced in a press release that Linton was removed as co-chief executive officer and a member of the board, effective immediately. Mark Zekulin, who had been co-CEO with Linton, becomes the sole CEO while the company searches for a replacement.

Linton called into CNBC and said he was fired.

“I think stepping down might not be the right phrase,” he said, referring to the language in the company press release. “I was terminated.”

Constellation Brands invested $4 billion in Canopy in November, giving the spirits giant a 38% stake of the company. As part of the deal, Constellation nominated four directors to Canopy’s seven-member board.

“About eight months and two days later, I think the board had decided they wanted a different chair and a different co-CEO,” he said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/03/canopy-growth-co-ceo-to-step-down.html
lol well deserved after those debacle late phonecalls

I accidentally bought SBUX puts again. I must have put the order in yesterday and forgot about it. It filled this morning. It is hurting my gains today. Still up good mainly because of my JNJ call.

sbux.jpg

chart.ashx

Like I said, Starbucks is a good company and long term hold but it is overbought as shit.

Planet Fitness bounced off what it did last time. That M pattern.

chart.ashx

actually it is still a double top and is supposed to do this.

300px-Doubletop_confirmed.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking Symantec is worth buying here on buyout talks from Broadcom.
With a 115 bil market cap I think AVGO has the chance to pay a pretty penny and if it goes thru in 2-3 weeks, I could see a 15-20% premium over current value. Downside risk is 10% if it falls through imo.

Planet Fitness bounced off what it did last time. That M pattern.

chart.ashx

actually it is still a double top and is supposed to do this.

300px-Doubletop_confirmed.jpg
Good I'm mad it went south without me. Going to short into earnings. They can't keep it up.

Morgan Brennan must be fucking Musk and/or on his payroll. She is always going to SpaceX and always goes with the superficial talking point defense lol.

Ticker is important. I would think long and hard what mine would be.

Screenshot_20190703-220413.png

Cool tickers in this study are, admittedly, solely defined by Barron’s. We included companies such as: Harley-Davidson , Molson Coors Brewing (TAP) and YUM Brands (YUM). Still, longer tickers, cool tickers, and even tickers that spell words trounce the stock returns of short and single-letter issues. Our “cool” category of ticker symbols were up an average of 17.5% annually over the last five years, versus just 3.7% for companies with single-letter tickers.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/stock-ticker-symbols-performance-51562102318

What’s in a name? At Barron’s, we prefer to ask, what’s in a ticker?

Those one to four (and occasionally five) letter identifiers that investors use to trade stocks are often a jumble of characters. But occasionally, tickers are unique or interesting enough to bring context all on their own. There’s newly public Slack Technologies , with its “WORK” symbol, for instance. Or Harley-Davidson ’s “HOG”

We recently wondered if tickers mattered to stock performance after the strong showing from several new issues with, well, cool ticker symbols.

Can investors really beat the stock market by simply paying attention to ticker symbols? It doesn’t make any intuitive sense but what Barron’s found may surprise you.

Take Slack and its neat ticker. The company is a cloud based, work productivity tool that aims to replace email. After its listing in June, Slack’s market capitalization hit more than $23 billion, making it one of the 50 largest domestic software companies. The Beyond Meat (BYND) ticker is, of course, “beyond” minus the vowels, and its shares briefly cracked $200, up more than 700% from its $25 offering price. Levi Strauss (LEVI), maker of cool clothes to go along with its cool ticker, has returned almost 25% since returning to public markets in March.

Those stocks are up because of sales growth and attractive business models and not catchy tickers. But is there anything about a company’s stock ticker that is predictive of stock returns? The table suggests a clear correlation.

Honest critique of my trading style? As you know, I don't have the money that many of you do but I still diversify. It is just my natural instinct. It has got me good gains, but not life changing. This book says people with little money shouldn't diversify. They need to focus. I think I agree.

I really like this channel btw. Classic books by investors summed up.

PAGS and STNE divergent today, pags down 3, stne up 3.

TAST has been good for me. It's the company that owns a bunch of Burger Kings and Popeye's.

chart.ashx

honestly, i'm happy with movement either way on this one. i have enough confidence in their next earnings report where i'd be happy with loading up on more if it drops to $8.50 or whatever. of course, profit's profit, so...

honestly, i'm happy with movement either way on this one. i have enough confidence in their next earnings report where i'd be happy with loading up on more if it drops to $8.50 or whatever. of course, profit's profit, so...

Be careful with confidence in earnings reports. There has been a stock/company ever that I was confident in their ER. ER is gambling. Plus their could be other people thinking like you and dump on those numbers.

Be careful with confidence in earnings reports. There has been a stock/company ever that I was confident in their ER. ER is gambling. Plus their could be other people thinking like you and dump on those numbers.

ok, but there's also generally a predictable uptrend leading up to earnings. the fact remains that the stupid avengers movie(s), alone, should equate to high earnings. even if their guidance is bad, that wouldn't be noticed until it's already spiked from the EPS, anyway. regardless, there should be 2 exit points right there, if one doesn't have confidence to hold for a continued spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back