Stipe's Inactivity

Yeah, that or Blaydes maybe. I do think he only needs one win before getting another shot at the belt.
I like the idea of a Blaydes fight, but I’m not totally sold on Stipe getting another TS with one win. I like Stipe and all, but he has fought the same 2 people since like 2017. I say give him Blaydes or Lewis, and if he wins that then give him the Gane-Ngannou loser. Then we’ll see.

To put it in greater perspective, every ufc champ has a weak strength of schedule compared to pride days when they were fighting up to 5 times a year. I wish those times would come back.

...and most of those guys were physically ruined within a few years of Pride's demise.

My point is the sport has stagnated, Especially in the heavyweight division. You have some top 10 guys lucky if they are making 70 or $75,000 per fight. That’s just not enticing for potential stud athletes that have choices. People have been wondering for years when the A level athletes will start coming into the UFC? My answer to the question is basically never.
Maybe in your lifetime lol. In reality the sport is just getting started. We haven't even reached he highest level of MMA yet. It only been around for like 30 years. That's nothing.

...and most of those guys were physically ruined within a few years of Pride's demise.
They still made more money than they wouldve in ufc at that time when it was 5 and 5 lol

If Stipe wants to keep fighting and Jones is serious about going to HW I say have them fight. Makes the most sense for both. Jones gets to have a fight to acclimate to HW and if he passes the test he could have next title shot. Stipe gets a huge name/legacy fight and one in which he won't be facing such big KO power.
I’d be shocked if Jones didn’t go strainght for a title fight

Ok TS I believe you.

Stipe is nearly 40.

has only 2 dozen or so fights in his entire career. So yeah let’s blame his inactivity on everyone but him lol

Maybe in your lifetime lol. In reality the sport is just getting started. We haven't even reached he highest level of MMA yet. It only been around for like 30 years. That's nothing.

When Dana White dies, the sports starts opening up the wallet, and fighters starting making serious bank..

Lets just say it'll be a Lonnnnnnnnnng Ass time..

Let's give this thread another bump since it's likely Ngannou will not be fighting again this year. So money dispute and wanting to pursue boxinng career is an understandable excuse while covid restrictions and eye surgery is not. Once again, so many hypocrites here who is unwilling to see what's happening in favour of believing in a one-sided narrative.

People don't think about it but baseball is a major draw as well. Modern baseball players are monsters. Even Stipe's main sport in college was baseball.

Aaron Judge with three weeks of TDD practice and a few Bas Rutten barfight DVDs would be champ.

15heightWEB1-superJumbo.jpg

I do agree that Stipe's inactivity during his title reign is often overblown when compared to many other champions. However, I have lost absolutely all sympathy for him when it came to him sitting on the sidelines demanding immediate rematches without fighting any contenders. He needs to take a cue from Robert Whittaker and Max Holloway. I say this as a massive fan of the dude.

Let's give this thread another bump since it's likely Ngannou will not be fighting again this year. So money dispute and wanting to pursue boxinng career is an understandable excuse while covid restrictions and eye surgery is not. Once again, so many hypocrites here who is unwilling to see what's happening in favour of believing in a one-sided narrative.
Stipe gets a bum deal around here. He was active as the champion right up until he lost the belt to DC. So him sitting out for a year awaiting a free rematch is completely irrelevant when it comes to how active he was AS the champion.

And only really pathetic people ignore the fact it was a year between the rematch and the trilogy as being anything other than.. 100% injury from the previous fight, and several months of Covid shutdown related.

Apparently it’s Stipe’s fault DC eye poked him so badly he needed surgery. And a global pandemic hit just as he was ready to start training again.

I do however believe he needs to fight again and win before getting another TS. He already got his freebie.

However, now with the Ngannou situation. I believe the UFC will have an interim title fight this summer. And it wouldn’t surprise me if he was one of the guys in it. It would more or less be the same as a number 1 contender fight. So it’s not unreasonable for him to get that opportunity. Either way I’d just like to see him fight, or retire.

Back