Stipe hype post-Fabio shows the true stupidity on Sherdog

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
As a foreword, this is NOT a Stipe bashing thread. He's a good fighter and will likely be top 5 soon once a few of the older guys fall off (in fact he might be top 5 level now... possible he could beat guys like Browne/Bigfoot). But why are some people acting so high on him right now because he beat freakin' Fabio Maldonaldo who isn't a top 20 LHW and would never get close to a title shot? It was a filler fight, simple as that... I swear if the UFC fed some mid tier fighter cans Pride Wand style, he would be considered the true #1 in his division by many here... kind of like how Holly Holm is considered more legit by some than everyone in the WBW division minus Ronda for crushing 7 non-grappling cans.

Discuss.

I read a pretty lot of sherdog, and I gotta say I haven't seen a crazy, inordinate amount of Stipe hype.

I'd wager that 85% of people here think he gets murked by JDS

So if people are high on a fighter it has to be based solely on his last fight? Not his body of work? Hell, or even his past FEW fights? And even if this fight tells us nothing about Stipe against other HW's it still showcases his skill set, doesn't matter who's in there with him, skills are skills.

As a foreword, this is NOT a Stipe bashing thread. He's a good fighter and will likely be top 5 soon once a few of the older guys fall off (in fact he might be top 5 level now... possible he could beat guys like Browne/Bigfoot). But why are some people acting so high on him right now because he beat freakin' Fabio Maldonaldo who isn't a top 20 LHW and would never get close to a title shot? It was a filler fight, simple as that... I swear if the UFC fed some mid tier fighter cans Pride Wand style, he would be considered the true #1 in his division by many here... kind of like how Holly Holm is considered more legit by some than everyone in the WBW division minus Ronda for crushing 7 non-grappling cans.

Discuss.

Miocic vs. Maldonado reminded me of this...

wonder2.gif

He looked good in the fight. Why not give him a little credit for that? Fabio is not a world beater, but still. Stipe had no, zero, nada problems landing everything he wanted.

So if people are high on a fighter it has to be based solely on his last fight? Not his body of work? Hell, or even his past FEW fights?

Pretty sure nobody was saying 'Stipe would destroy Jon Jones' or implying that JDS was afraid of Stipe before he beat... Fabio Maldonado.

I read a pretty lot of sherdog, and I gotta say I haven't seen a crazy, inordinate amount of Stipe hype.

didn't you know? a few peoples opinions = all of sherdog.

He looked good in the fight. Why not give him a little credit for that? Fabio is not a world beater, but still. Stipe had no, zero, nada problems landing everything he wanted.

Well shit, he only landed 2 punches before the GnP

I was going to reply, but this is pretty much what I was going to say. From what I've read/seen. The Maldonado fight was a total mismatch. Nothing was gained from tgat fight really.

As soon as someone wins it becomes a OMG HES THE BEST lovefest on here. UNDERATED! TITLE CONTENDER. IS HE GOAT? It's quite sad really. People overdramatise.

Why even respond to the clowns clinging to Stipe's nuts after he beat a LHW who isn't even ranked in the top 15 by UFC in his own division?

Respect to Stipe for the impressive finish, and to Maldonado for even climbing in there, but let's maintain a little perspective here.

This is not much different from Jones-Sonnen and Silva-Bonnar...fights that circumstances created, which otherwise would never have been made.

Were you not here for DC-Hendo? People were saying that DC is gonna change the sport, he'd ragdoll Jones and a lot of other crazy talk.

The problem is sherdog is the home for the classic prisoner of the moment

I haven't heard people hyping him all that much. Most everyone I've heard and seen has him ranked right about where he was coming into Saturday's fight. If nothing else, there's something to be said for a guy who summarily dispatches an opponent whom he's expected to summarily dispatch. We've seen guys come half-asleep into these no-win scenario fights and get starched and/or pushed to the brink (Werdum/JDS, Lil Nog/Brilz). Stipe came in and took care of business and left little to nitpick over regarding his performance. In fact, he looked so good that people who were questioning him leading into Saturday's main event are now questioning Joe Silva and the legitimacy of the Brazilian sanctioning board.

Back