Stinky Gi?

Hook

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good trick to get the stink out of a white gi?

A cup of vinegar in the wash, maybe letting it soak for an hour before you run it. Drying in the sun also helps.

Cool man. Those are all good suggestions. Or maybe I should just shower every once and a while... LOL! Nah, for real I appreciate the help.

I've seen detergent at sports authority that says it gets the funk out of clothes. Not sure if it works though.

Wash with detergent free of dyes or perfumes, add half cup of baking soda, 2 oz oxi clean, and 1 cup of odoban to the fabric softner slot. Sun dry, it will smell like roses/ outdoor breeze... or whatever your yard smells like.

i wonder if the detergent sold in the hunting dept to remove human scent from clothes would do the trick?

It's supposed to leave your clothes scent-free, so maybe it's worth a shot

The trick is not to wear it twice without washing it. If you wear the gi for only one session and then wash it and do this since its new it's unlikely it will develop any bad smells unless there's something seriously wrong with your sweat. :icon_chee
I never wear anything twice. I always wash my training wear, hand wraps or anything I wear after every training session. This is why having more than one gi is really useful. If you train very often having 3 or 4 is not a bad idea.

I always wash it immediately after getting home after training. I have never let a gi sit in my bag for an extended amount of time. If you can't wash it right away, let it air out at the minimum.

Every second wash of will use a little bleach(our washer has a bleach dispenser) and do a pre-soak before the wash starts. The bleach gets released during one of the cycles and is evenly distributed.

I have heard from a lot of vets about the vinegar trick, but even if the smell is gone, i think subconsciously I would still be able to smell it(if that makes sense).

Good luck.

Back