Still, Barao was destroyed only by Sanders

He managed to lose to Andre Ewell, that should have been the catalyst to retire.

Unfortunately I guess he needs the money. He probably still has a decent contract.
He is still washing his cloths in his bath tub. He can't even afford to get that hidious tattoo on his cheast finished.

Barao vs Penn. Somebody's gotta win, right?!?!?
{<shrug}

Have him fight the overrated Sean O'Malley? Big win for either guy.
If Barao hadn't lost to Ewell of all people then I'd be down for it, but Sean wins that without too much issue nowadays.

Of course he'd pop for weed prior to the fight happening.

I actually had him winning the first 2 rounds against De Andrade but he lost the 3rd badly, and Ewell was a split decision that could have gone his way. It's true, Sanders was the only really bad loss since Dillashaw.

People who blame everything on "USADA" are fucking morons.
I agree dude. People seriously underestimate what the 10-year mark in a sport does to someone's body. especially MMA, and realize that Barao vs TJ 2 was in his 10th year fighting. I mean, look through a few fighter records of longtime fighters and notice the severe performance drop 10 years into their career. This goes even with PED users and best case aging scenarios; Overeem, for example had a losing percentage of 23% for his first 11 years up til he tested positive against Brock, and his next 9 years it's 40%. Werdum went from 22% in his first 10 years to 30% in the last 8, yet he's often used as an example of a late career resurgence, a best case scenario in aging. Obviously most people have a better record coming up in the lower leagues, so it's hard to perfectly gauge this, which is why Overeem and Werdum are good examples because they were thrown to the wolves from the get-go and are both considered longtime, older veterans with strong late careers.

Compare this to a top tier fighter with a strong early-to-mid career and is only 33 year old, like Jose Aldo, who had a losing percentage of 4% for his first 10 years; in the 6 years since that he's at 42%. Rory MacDonald, only 30 years old, 14% to 43%. There's a reason the average career in the major leagues are as follows: NFL is 3.3 years, NBA is 4.5 years, NHL is 5 years and MLB is 5.6 years. You can clearly see the more explosive the sport is, the shorter the career is, as opposed to more endurance sports, and MMA is the most explosive sport there is with periods of endurance. MMA has the worst of of both worlds; grueling endurance wrestling and control along with short bursts of explosive muscle use along with hits of all types.

With Barao I think it's a mix of a couple things. Not only did the wear on his body catch up to him, especially after years of severe weight cuts, but the honest truth is that Bantamweight wasn't profitable before the WEC/UFC merger and thus he was fighting very weak competition until the UFC made it profitable. I think he was just a brief flash-in-the-pan who beat up on lesser dudes and got lucky in big fights.

Check the records of the guys he fought before joining Zuffa...

His last nine fights before losing to Dillashaw were all guys with great records at the time, including the last 3 before joining Zuffa:
CHRIS CARIASO, 9 - 1
ANTHONY LEONE, 7-0
SERGIO SILVA RODRIGUES, 6 - 2
He did beat some cans along the way but his record before Dillashaw was stellar but most standards.

I had never been impressed with him before the losses to TJ. I was happy he was beating guys at Alpha Male because I think they're all a bunch of fucking losers but never thought of him as a world beater and always believed the belt belonged to Cruz. His fight with McDonald was relatively close up until the finish IIRC and at that point I knew he was going to be losing the belt soon.

I am not surprised a Brazilian in a post-USADA world is getting dumpstered.

Back