Steven Thompson vs Prime Cung Le

You'd have a better response if you just posted a GOAT thread.

38183526.jpg

As of now they reached similar career highs and Cung was a weight class bigger than Thompson, so probably Cung. He also had an active takedown game while Thompson does not.

I'm new to the Thompson bandwagon but I would favor the Thompson we just saw over prime Le. Also I don't think he would be smaller than Le. Thompson seemed to have a much larger frame than Hendricks and I don't take Le to be a massive 185 fighter.

Cung in his prime would at least get some nice slams in.

Thompson's striking is more accurate and he's faster to boot.

Thompson is a way better boxer, also his cage awareness and space management are a lot better too.
Cung is a bit bigger and is a decent wrestler, but I don't think that's enough to save him from being wonderboy'd.

I don't know but that would be a fucking awesome fight! great thread ( no sarcasm).

Cung Le. Bigger, stronger, not noticeably shower in his prime (if not faster), plus sanshou incorporates a bunch of TDs.

I'm new to the Thompson bandwagon but I would favor the Thompson we just saw over prime Le. Also I don't think he would be smaller than Le. Thompson seemed to have a much larger frame than Hendricks and I don't take Le to be a massive 185 fighter.
Cung Le spent most of his combat career at 205.

Cung Le spent most of his combat career at 205.
Really? I don't believe that. I tried to check out some of his San Shou / kickboxing fights and was finding fights around 180 lbs. What fights did he have at 205?

Its a shame Cung Le started MMA so late. Stephen made his MMA debut at 27. Cung Le at 33. Both were at similar levels in their kickboxing careers. Cung had too many things on his plate after leaving kickboxing, Stephen is more dedicated to MMA.

Just have EA UFC simulate it. That's the best guess.

Really? I don't believe that. I tried to check out some of his San Shou / kickboxing fights and was finding fights around 180 lbs. What fights did he have at 205?
He was the IKF LHW champ. Plus ISKA LHW champ. Maybe their LHW isn't 205. That I don't know. And I thought in K1 he fought at 205 too.

Edit - I see LHW I assume 205 unless we're talking about Pride.

Love TPB by the way. Funny as hell.

Last edited:
Cung Le might seriously be the most overrated in MMA History. Two biggest wins are over geriatric versions of Shamrock and Franklin. For THAT he gets endless hype, talk of him vs Anderson, protection against grapplers for an eternity, absurd instarematches for him getting KOd by Scott Smith, and ridiculous "Le by KO" against 100s of fighters superior to him according to tons of Sherdoggers.

Thompson by murder by the way

Back